General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ECU Aftermarket Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

ECU Aftermarket Calibration

Because this topic appears frequently for discussion I thought I would post this notice by GM to it's dealers.......

Non-GM Engine Calibrations

General Motors does not endorse the use of aftermarket (non-GM issued) engine calibrations in any of its gasoline or diesel powered vehicles in North America.
When non-GM issued engine control calibrations are detected, steps should be taken
to void the Powertrain portion of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Bulletins 08-06-04-006A (diesel engine vehicles) and 08-06-04-033 (gasoline engine vehicles) outline the procedures to be used in identifying the presence of non-GM issued calibrations. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different from the calibrations to which these components were validated. The stresses resulting from the non-GM calibrations and equipment were not validated by GM and therefore cannot be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses.

Where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified, current and future repairs to engine, transmission, transfer case, driveline, axle and/or other driveline components are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.
- Thanks to Jay Dankovich
Old 08-04-2008, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info Snoopy
Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM

This effort by GM regarding aftermarket tunes has been around and discussed for some time on tuner related forums. Nothing new here. As an engineer and tuner, I'm going to play devil's advocate on this issue.

GM's stance: This has been going on for years now. They have been aware of it and even have factory high-performance calibrations available. Unfortunately, with GM's financial condition today they have decided to crack down on the aftermarket tuning industry. Actually, I don't blame them, since they have been the victim of many a warranty fraud (yes, I use that word and more on that later). The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and just plain morality come into play here also.

My stance: The dilemma for anyone who wants to improve their vehicle is that today's factory calibrations are not "all they can be", to steal a military phrase. GM has to write a calibration to deal with the "lowest common denominator" situation and not cause problems. In other words, any weather, altitude, fuel quality, etc. that can be encountered. They are also
attempting to get their best numbers in EPA tests for emissions and CAFE tests for mileage.

Compromises are made. For example, on the HHR 2.4 LE5 (and many other GM vehicles), when you do nail the throttle, the engine will remain at stoichiometric air fuel ratio for some time before entering power enrichment, which is normal for full power, for a few seconds. The result? The loss of 10 - 15 HP during a full throttle acceleration. Spark timing? Calibrated conservatively to deal with variances in fuel quality and octane available.

A responsibly and well done tune, especially when done to a specific vehicle vs. a "canned tune" will improve drivability, response, power and, believe it or not, improve fuel mileage!

If done properly and responsibly, will not cause any reliability problems despite GM's current stance.

The "problem": Some push the limits. They will overboost on a F/I engine, exceed safe RPMs and often are poorly tuned. The inevitable result... a blown engine, transmission, axels, etc. Their next strategy is to attempt to get GM to cover their mistakes with a warranty claim. Some even go to the point of trying to return the vehicle to stock before taking it to the dealer.
There currently is a "Tuner Shop" advertising that their recalibrations are undetectable by GM.

These behaviors are dishonest and could be prosecuted as fraud in many areas. It's too bad these dishonest people have led GM to their current stance. The reality should be: If you want to play, be ready to pay!

Bottom line: Research first! Most of the "canned tunes" available today are relatively conservative in their approach and should not cause any problems and realize gains in both performance and mileage. The best solution is a knowledgeable tuner that can datalog the particular car and write a calibration that accurately deals with any changes (i.e.: intake and
exhaust), location and fuel quality or octane. Unfortunately, these are few and far between.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoeR

These behaviors are dishonest and could be prosecuted as fraud in many areas. It's too bad these dishonest people have led GM to their current stance. The reality should be: If you want to play, be ready to pay!

Bottom line: Research first! Most of the "canned tunes" available today are relatively conservative in their approach and should not cause any problems and realize gains in both performance and mileage. The best solution is a knowledgeable tuner that can datalog the particular car and write a calibration that accurately deals with any changes (i.e.: intake and
exhaust), location and fuel quality or octane. Unfortunately, these are few and far between.
Well put.
That is all.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Since this is coming up again, I'll state my firm opinion again. I am on GM's side. If they are going to give you a generous 100k warranty, then they have every right to set the terms of the warranty, especially anything that affects drivetrain. A decent dealer will not try to use this against you for obvious non-drivetrain related problems. I am aware of a highly modified diesel that was denied coverage and cost the guy about $12k to fix, I totally agree with that decision.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Banned

We should also keep in mind that it isn't just GM that is doing this. In fact, if anything they're being conservative in their discovery and enforcement of warranty fraud. Mitsubishi is well-known in the tuner community to send out reps to the local drag strips taking pictures of VINs. Nissan has a system set up on the new GT-R to record full throttle and high speed events in the computer. They are voiding warranties in Japan on that car if they suspect any kind of abuse.

BMW was one of the first to start cracking down on cars than were Dinan modified almost twenty years ago too. That's back when a burned chip might give you five to ten horsepower.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:42 PM

This shouldn't even be a issue in my opinion. If you want to take a new car, with warrenty, add a tune or whatever, break it. Then fix it yourself! Don't try to rethink what a bunch of engineers figured out and then ***** when you change it and break it. This goes along with any other modification done to a car. If I change my suspension I don't expect GM to cover what I changed. Same for the body or interior. That to me is just common sense.

Snoopy, you are talking about a aftermarket tune, correct? Any mention I may have made in any other thread about reconfiguring the ECU is a simple pull the fuse and replace to reset it kinda. This is after a intake and or exhaust change to maximize the performance gains these items may or may not provide.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by stick
This shouldn't even be a issue in my opinion. If you want to take a new car, with warrenty, add a tune or whatever, break it. Then fix it yourself! Don't try to rethink what a bunch of engineers figured out and then ***** when you change it and break it. This goes along with any other modification done to a car. If I change my suspension I don't expect GM to cover what I changed. Same for the body or interior. That to me is just common sense.

Snoopy, you are talking about a aftermarket tune, correct? Any mention I may have made in any other thread about reconfiguring the ECU is a simple pull the fuse and replace to reset it kinda. This is after a intake and or exhaust change to maximize the performance gains these items may or may not provide.
Yeah stick....I would think GM issued that for the "aftermarket" tunes. Understand, I didn't write this. I cut and pasted from a GM Dealer Bulletin.....so what you see is GM's position on the subject.

Also, I didn't post it for continuing dialog....just for informational purposes. But I will say, "accept responsibility"...as indicated by several posts here and other threads.

JoeR and c2vette...great posts....as usual.