General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Electrifying! GM E-Crate motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2022, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Electrifying! GM E-Crate motor

Found this information interesting,

https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...lectrification

And was just checking out my May copy of HRM , the article about swapping one of those into their ‘57 Chevy Project X

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Proje...nt=safari#ip=1

I haven’t researched dimensions, but no more gas tank, exhaust or engine and transmission, a rear drive HHR would be an awesome project!
Now, if I can get a project going with some funds from, the Discovery Channel or GM or something, we could document the build, here on the site!
Our battle cry !! Like Betty and Wilma! Charge It!!

Old 03-15-2022, 12:43 PM

I believe it's intended to drop in place of a small block chevy using the same mounts. I thought it would use a transmission but that build didn't so I'm not sure what it is. I wonder if they will force you to have it installed by a "Certified Installer". In an HHR, probably easier to use a Front Tesla motor and leave it front wheel drive. But it's a big project no matter what. I keep waiting to see the price because I'd like it for my Willys Jeep Wagon.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:41 PM

Someone installed Tesla motors in a 1966 Impala 2-door hardtop.
Old 03-15-2022, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I’ve seen the Tesla swaps, Salvage to Savage did a square body C10 for SEMA interesting,

https://www.salvagetosavage.com/

but as I stated I haven’t seen all the dimensions.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:38 AM

The drive unit and controller are the inexpensive parts, the battery is always the deal killer for me.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

IMO, Electric was cool for Frankenstein. I'm an old school gas freak..
Old 03-17-2022, 07:56 AM
Administrator

I wonder how the road taxes will work, after they eliminate fossil fuel vehicles? Up here the road taxes are built into our fuel prices, so if you plug your car in at home, guess you don’t pay road taxes
Old 03-17-2022, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
I wonder how the road taxes will work, after they eliminate fossil fuel vehicles? Up here the road taxes are built into our fuel prices, so if you plug your car in at home, guess you don’t pay road taxes
I'm sure they'll come up with a new formula. For example, in the past, vehicle registration were based on the weight of the vehicle. When weights started coming down, they changed it to some sort of MSRP value to determine the fee in Michigan.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
I'm sure they'll come up with a new formula. For example, in the past, vehicle registration were based on the weight of the vehicle. When weights started coming down, they changed it to some sort of MSRP value to determine the fee in Michigan.
Exactly, they are gonna get ya one way or another.. Then you would need an electrician to wire up your house for 'those things'...
And @ charging stations on the road will have to charge as well. This great plan is no where near ready to implement.

I miss my 1953 Chevy............
Old 03-17-2022, 10:59 PM

They'll add the fees to your registration. Want to get plates for your EV? Only $1500 per year!

Quick Reply: Electrifying! GM E-Crate motor