General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Engine Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM

Engine Block Heater

I'm looking into adding an engine block heater. I know it is available from GM at 218 CAD (parts only) and difficult to obtain as an after-market product. Oil pan heater will be added separately.

What type of heater comes from GM with this 2.4 engine - immersion or radiant type?

What power is it rated at?

Is the -17C thermostat in the cord? (At GM Parts the price of the cord is the same as the heating element.)
Old 10-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Founding Member

This is the information that is provided by GM on their engine coolant heater in the service manual. I am in Texas, so I have never seen one on an HHR.

The optional engine coolant heater (RPO K05) operates using 110-volt AC external power and is designed to warm the coolant in the engine block area for improved starting in very cold weather -29°C (-20°F). The unit is equipped with a detachable AC power cord. A weather shield on the cord is provided to protect the plug when not in use.

The picture I have saw was not very detailed but it looked like the typical block heater that is installed in a freeze plug hole.

Very pricey too. Heater, 12587535 $75.35 and Cord 15274940 $110.19. Those are GM suggested list prices.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 PM

The element is immersed. The thermostat is in the cord, hence the high price, but on the other hand you can replace a damaged cord without having to replace the element.

Yves
Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Founding Member

My new information states if it didn't come from the factory with it, you can't add it because the hole is not there. Sorry. This was on my Shop Foremans last product test from GM.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:16 PM

I'm surprised the HHRs sold in Canada don't come with block heaters as standard equipment, since it gets freakin' cold in most parts of Canada at some point during the winter.

Other GM vehicles I've had in the past did and my 2006 LT came with one.

I just checked the window sticker and it does not show a block heater as being standard or optional equipment
Old 10-31-2008, 09:21 AM

I ordered one with my HHR.I hope I never have to use it,but it's there if I need it.I've been thinking of trying it on a cold morning just to see if it'll help speed up warming of the interior on my short(5.5 miles)work commute.
P.S.-the block heater was dropped as an option for 2009.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ZTony8
I ordered one with my HHR.I hope I never have to use it,but it's there if I need it.I've been thinking of trying it on a cold morning just to see if it'll help speed up warming of the interior on my short(5.5 miles)work commute.
P.S.-the block heater was dropped as an option for 2009.
I've used them in the past and they do help cut out some of the warm up time on cold mornings plus it's easier on the engine...
I put a heavy duty timer on mine so it didn't run all of the time only a few hours before I left for work.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:46 PM

ya, i dont think many people would really need one, unless its 20 below zero fairly often. EXP no good for us Texas and Cali Members
Old 11-01-2008, 08:53 PM

Got my after-market block heater installed.

It is a "clamp on engine heater", meaning a 300w heating element external to the block plus a cord with -18C thermostat at the male plug end and a dirt cover protector.

It bolts on to the back of the block with a single bolt beneath the exhaust manifold. Installed it from above. Removed air cleaner assembly and the bracket at the back of the block into which the air cleaner assembly snaps. Very tricky. You have to work by feel. With a mirror and a light you might see where it sits.

Interestingly, the element is a few inches off the block. I'd guess about 1/4 of the heat radiates on to the block. The rest warms the air under the hood some nicely under the shield that sits over the exhaust manifold.

Cost: GM wanted 109 CAD for the heater and 109 for the cord. The Phillips and Temro combo cost me 53 CAD.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:36 AM

I like oil pan heating pads much better than block or coolant heaters.

Quick Reply: Engine Block Heater