General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Engine light comes on due to fuel emissions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 05:11 PM

Cool Engine light comes on due to fuel emissions.

Hi All,
Just wanted to find out if any one has encoutered this with their HHR. Set up is 2.4L engine.

The engine light came on after putting oun about 2000+ miles. The manual stated that this could be caused because of either the fuel cap not placed correctly or the the fuel emissions level needed to adjust. It would take a couple of fuel changes for the computer to stabilize itself again.

I had taken a road trip and while driving around the octane in the fuel varied. I started with 87 in California, 87 in Arizona, 88 in New Mexico then back to 87 in California.

Checked the gas cap everything OK. Light Still On
Changed fuel to 91 to improve emissions (per manual), after driving a couple of days it turned Off.
Still using 91 and engine light came on again yesterday. Turned off again today after another trip. Will wait to see if it happens this weekend and will take to dealer for inspection.

If any one has experienced this please let me know might be a bug in the computer or just operator error for varying with fuel octane.

Thanks,
Mtbiker-s
Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 PM

Hi MTB, if the fuel cap is loose, a message wil display on the DIC saying "Fuel Cap Loose." I'm thinking your problem might be somewhere else.

Many users have experienced similar problems due to loose fuses. The design of the fuse box cover, if not placed neatly and squarely on, has a tendency to dislodge several of the fuses - this is a change Chevrolet should make in future production runs. Read more about it here (I hope this solves your prob):

Old 11-04-2005, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the tip Mike,
Will check it out when I get home, I hope this it! I love this forum, there are always cool people willing to pass down their knowledge.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:54 PM

I hope so too! Post back your results.

What bike are you riding? (brand/model)
Old 11-04-2005, 08:44 PM

Let us know, also, yeah, what type of bicycles and how is the hitch and rack system. I am a racing cyclist, here in Atlanta. I have Specialized Epic Pro and a Merckx Road bike!! I will soon be ordering a hitch to run a rear rack.

I know earlier you posted, that you went with the rec hitch. My HHR has the roof rails, and I know Thule makes adaptors, but my wife is real addimit on not going with the roof rack. Plus it would affect mileage, and a good roof system is quite a bit more investment. Plan is to order the rec, and install with the help of my mechanic friends.

Later,
Mark
Old 11-04-2005, 09:38 PM

I had that happen to me with another car and I did everything to book said and it turned out to be one of the Electrical sensors. So far 3180 miles and smooth rideing.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Well folks I checked the fuses that night. They where loose but nothing happened. The engine light still on over the weekend. Just got back from dropping the car @ the dealer and I'll post back the results later this evening. I'm hoping it's just some sensor bug.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Markiemark
Let us know, also, yeah, what type of bicycles and how is the hitch and rack system. I am a racing cyclist, here in Atlanta. I have Specialized Epic Pro and a Merckx Road bike!! I will soon be ordering a hitch to run a rear rack.

I know earlier you posted, that you went with the rec hitch. My HHR has the roof rails, and I know Thule makes adaptors, but my wife is real addimit on not going with the roof rack. Plus it would affect mileage, and a good roof system is quite a bit more investment. Plan is to order the rec, and install with the help of my mechanic friends.

Later,
Mark
Hey Mark,
Still waiting on a hitch hopefully Hidden Hitch will come up with something less visible. I too was thinking roof, but roof racks tend to get kind of pricey. The Curt Hitches need you to cut something out from the tire base and I'm not to comfortable with the slicing and dicing of my car yet.

The rigs I drag along with me are a Cove G-SpotFR (http://www.covebike.com/gspot.html) 15.5" frame and a GT 1.0 16" frame. I don't mind putting them in the car but I tend to bring back alot of dirt with me. Plus it would just be simpler to place them on a hitch rack.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:24 PM

It Sounds to me its a bad sensor. Did the car drive like it was losing power?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:52 PM

Hey Mtbiker-s,

What I have read on the recivier hitches, you have to cut some insulation, does not sound like a big deal. I fit my bike inside, not standing though. I have taller bikes, and many times have my wife who rides also. Plus my HHR is the cashmere interior, and would not take much mud, dirt too destroy inside. I will probaly be trying the current Rec Hitches available soon. I will let you know and keep me posted on your setup, also the outcome of the engine light.

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Engine light comes on due to fuel emissions.