General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Which Engine/Tranny for RV Tow Car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:28 AM

Thanks for all that info, Bob. I like the idea of the switch rather than pulling the fuse, be a lot easier in the dark. The place that will be installing our base plate sells both Roadmaster and Blue Ox, so I'll take a look at both before making a decision.

No input here on my GMS question, but in case anyone's interested: I've received quotes from the internet sales managers at several dealers and all are higher than my GMS price. The only lower prices I've found are "bait and switch" loss leaders (the advertised car, of course, isn't available, but others (with identical MSRP's to the advertised car) are-- for a mere $4250 more than the advertised price!)

I've found a couple of HHR's at local dealers that we might consider, although neither has the leather interior, which I kind of want. We'll make a decision on whether to buy one of those or special order a car once we see what the new rebate situation is....

Denny
Old 01-02-2008, 01:55 PM

We used the GMS pricing on our HHR saves the hassle of bargaining. When we purchased the 2005 Sunfire GMS pricing saved less the $20.00 from the dealer’s asking price. Seams around the Detroit area GMS saves about $500.00 to $1,000.00 from dealers advertised pricing.

The leather HEATED (standard with the leather) seats are worth waiting for……….
Old 01-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by flibmeister
Thanks for all that info, Bob. I like the idea of the switch rather than pulling the fuse, be a lot easier in the dark. The place that will be installing our base plate sells both Roadmaster and Blue Ox, so I'll take a look at both before making a decision.

No input here on my GMS question, but in case anyone's interested: I've received quotes from the internet sales managers at several dealers and all are higher than my GMS price. The only lower prices I've found are "bait and switch" loss leaders (the advertised car, of course, isn't available, but others (with identical MSRP's to the advertised car) are-- for a mere $4250 more than the advertised price!)

I've found a couple of HHR's at local dealers that we might consider, although neither has the leather interior, which I kind of want. We'll make a decision on whether to buy one of those or special order a car once we see what the new rebate situation is....

Denny

Denny....

You do know, if elligible for the GMS pricing, that you have a cash or finance incentive as well. But I believe you must take delivery today, 1/02/08. So your pricing would be the GMS MINUS the cash incentive OR the special financing.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:55 AM

Bob-- we live in Phoenix, so heated seats (we both have them in our present cars) don't get all that much use. I do find them handy in my Mini convertible-- they probably lower the acceptable "top down" driving temp by ten degrees or so! As it turns out, my wife isn't all that enthused about the leather seats anyway. Since this going to be "her" car, I'll probably have to defer to her on the issue...

Snoopy-- I'm aware that we get GMS price - any rebates, but we're hoping that the 1/2/2008 deadline will be extended. Plus we got a coupon in today's mail from GM Card, offering $500 "bonus cash" for deliveries between 1/3/2008 and 1/31/2008-- so if they keep the rebate program, we'll have done good. Of course, if they drop it, then our procrastination will have cost us $1000! I'm hoping they post the latest rebate programs by the time I get up in the morning.

Edit: The current rebates are now posted on the GM employee site, they're staying the same ($1000 on an LS, $1500 on an LT) until 3/3/2008.

Denny

Last edited by flibmeister; 01-03-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Thanks to all the advice here, we were able to determine what we wanted and found a new car on a dealer lot that fits our needs. Picked it up yesterday: 2008 HHR LT, 2.2 engine, automatic, Cardinal Red Metallic, gray cloth interior (I let my lovely wife win that one ). We went with the 2.2 mainly because we wanted the softer suspension; all of the 2.4's we were finding came with the stiffer one.

I first located the car via an internet search, but it was at a dealer on the far side of town; I had my local dealer arrange a trade to bring it closer to home, so it had 37 miles on it when we picked it up. Fairly painless delivery since it was a GMS purchase (no haggling over price), rebates totaled $2000. Despite my telling them that I'd walk before paying for a single dealer addon, they did try to slide the $197 VIN etching package through (it was preprinted on the sales contract)-- but took it off immediately and without protest when I pointed it out. Got to watch these guys every minute!

Only driven it home from the dealer so far, but we like it!

Denny
Old 01-05-2008, 12:39 PM

Denny,

Great choice, enjoy your new HHR!

What type of motorhome will you tow it with?

Pat and I chose the Sandstone HHR to match the lower color on our motorhome, it is white, blue and sand.
36ft. Itasca (Winnebago) Sunrise with Ford F53 chassis V10.

Bob
Old 01-05-2008, 11:03 PM

We'll be towing the HHR behind a 29' Bigfoot (a Canadian-made Class C, on the Ford E450 with the V10). It's mostly white, so just about any color HHR will look okay. .

Didn't drive the new HHR today (wife's kinda under the weather), but I did go out to the driveway and activate the OnStar-- kinda creepy to have the lady say, "hey, you ought be out driving that new car, not just sitting in your driveway"-- the fact that she knew that's where I was seems way too Big Brother to me!

Denny