General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 05:57 PM

Tire pressure are spot on, like I said earlier the esc comes on instantly when started and shift into gear....not even moving yet.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:44 PM

There’s a TSB I vaguely remember that talks about debris in wheel sensors causing this. It seems simply (carefully) clearing the debris might fix the problem. Not even sure if it applies to HHR, but seems worth a look.

Had a problem with a Buick, no codes on my reader, but to it to the parts store and it had C codes that my reader doesn’t show. Led to the replacement of a couple of noisy wheel bearing assemblies.

I’ve had one or two transient ESC lights since. Did have one low tire. Don’t see it as a problem. Yet, anyway.

Get scanned for C codes. If none, sleep easy.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:25 PM

Ok, Had the codes pulled. All under the ABS

C0460-4B
U2143_00
U2142-00
C0292-1A
U1500-00
C0460-72
C0292-39

Old 07-06-2022, 12:34 PM

You need to get the network fixed. I would look hard at the brake module. Make sure the power and grounds are good. You don't have a good scan tool?
Old 07-06-2022, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
You need to get the network fixed. I would look hard at the brake module. Make sure the power and grounds are good. You don't have a good scan tool?
No I just have a little cheapy scan tool for now. I would need to know what Im looking for as Im not familiar with all the digital crap on cars, Im old school...motor, switch, runs.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:20 PM

Do you have a dvom? If you get the diagram for the module you can test power and ground at the module and it they are OK it points to possible internal problem. That's if it's the only module being effected.
In the network you can have another module causing problems with different modules but these codes indicate a module failure is likely. Make sure the power and ground are solid. They do not like bad connections.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by greg8453
Do you have a dvom? If you get the diagram for the module you can test power and ground at the module and it they are OK it points to possible internal problem. That's if it's the only module being effected.
In the network you can have another module causing problems with different modules but these codes indicate a module failure is likely. Make sure the power and ground are solid. They do not like bad connections.
I just need to know where and what Im looking for ( pics help ) I do have a digital voltmeter, just dont have a good scan tool yet. I looked under the car a bit ( remember Im on a gravel drive ) so not really able to get under well, but was looking at wires since I did the fogs recently before issues started, I noticed the drivers side hub wiring is wrapped around the stabilizer link a few times??? not sure why that is but I will try to get in there and un wrap it as it may be pulling? But I looked up the YAW sensor and its supposedly under the seat somewhere, not sure how that would even be affected, since I just did a 700+ round trip with no issues until I disconnected the battery and put new fogs in, didnt touch anything else other that try to pop the airbag to change switch, never got it off and really didnt try too hard as im nervous around airbags anyway. So really, there shouldnt be anything damaged and wondering if they are old codes stored and disconnecting the battery reset it all ?
Old 07-06-2022, 04:06 PM

Can you get diagrams? Someone on here has them.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Bonez
I just need to know where and what Im looking for ( pics help ) I do have a digital voltmeter, just dont have a good scan tool yet. I looked under the car a bit ( remember Im on a gravel drive ) so not really able to get under well, but was looking at wires since I did the fogs recently before issues started, I noticed the drivers side hub wiring is wrapped around the stabilizer link a few times??? not sure why that is but I will try to get in there and un wrap it as it may be pulling? But I looked up the YAW sensor and its supposedly under the seat somewhere, not sure how that would even be affected, since I just did a 700+ round trip with no issues until I disconnected the battery and put new fogs in, didnt touch anything else other that try to pop the airbag to change switch, never got it off and really didnt try too hard as im nervous around airbags anyway. So really, there shouldnt be anything damaged and wondering if they are old codes stored and disconnecting the battery reset it all ?
Well. I think you need to deal with that shade tree wire problem before anything else. Post a picture of that. If it really is "wrapped around the stabilizer link a few times??? " I would love to see that.
Gravel drive ? No empty asphalt or concrete parking lots in your area ? Not saying you need to do major repair work there but at least a place you can take a look at your car.
Or a set of car ramps and a sheet of carboard to lay on.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:13 PM

U2142 00 is lost contact with the yaw sensor
U2143 00 is lost contact with the PSCM
U1500 00 is the GMlan is shorted or open.
Look at fuse #19 BCM.
Check fuse #56 & #57 & 61 underhood.
Check the connectors on the EBCM.
Has anyone messed with any of the wires around the BCM or under the hood or around the gear shifter?
The (C0460) PSCM and the (C0292) Yaw sensor both connect to the EBCM for 12V power and ground. Check the ground for the EBCM.
If the yaw sensor is not connected the 12V is turned off to the PSCM.
The yaw sensor is under the waterfall area near the BCM.

"Lost communications with" does not necessarily mean faulty module. More likely a blown fuse, a loose wire etc.
From U1500 diagnostic aids:

Quick Reply: ESC question