General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
What size tires?
Do you have any idea how old the battery is? Hot weather stresses old batteries. Losing contact is a sign of low voltage.
No idea on battery, 12.40 as it sat all day... started and charging at 14.89v
17" factory wheels with proper tires. Doing a lobetomy now, and see what happens... All fuses are good.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:20 PM

Maybe the existing fog light wiring was messed with by a PO.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:32 PM

disconnected neg battery cable for about 20 minutes, reconnected, esc still popping up.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Until you do something about that wire wrapped up in the suspension, why are you even discussing all that other stuff. Get that wiring checked and fixed first.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Until you do something about that wire wrapped up in the suspension, why are you even discussing all that other stuff. Get that wiring checked and fixed first.
I hear you, although it was like that before the trip and no issues until recently, its in the loom so nothing bare rubbing anywhere.

Not sure with PO as the fogs were apparently knocked out and damaged before I got it. Did notice and mentioned that the bumper cover isnt a 2009 since sensor was on drivers side mounted when I removed the cover ( mine is on passenger frame ) found pieces of fog mounts in spare compartment, so not sure if his daughter hit a low curb stop or an accident, but no accident report on record for this car.

I just hate tracing after useless digital BS with cars becase uncle sam wants to make us believe they are saving the ozone..... ah well. I may try unplugging the fogs just to see if it changes anything which I doubt.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:01 PM

Old 07-08-2022, 07:53 AM

The ABS connector is supposed to be attached to the strut. There is a bracket on the strut for it. It is possible the wire is compromised.
The ambient air temp sensor is not part of the bumper cover. I think the change was either mid-year or 2010 model year.

I guess my point got lost in the ozone. The fog lights are connected to the BCM, if all of the modules don't initialize at the same time those codes are set, if you were to connect the lights wrong then start the car that might inhibit the boot process. Could be why they were removed. I would look at the fog relay and fuse #53 & #54 underhood fuse box to be sure they are wired correctly; The BCM supplies +12 to the relay. (maybe the PO decided there is no need for a relay)
Old 07-08-2022, 12:34 PM

Did you ever get the codes read? If that ABS is shorted I believe it will code at key on
Old 07-08-2022, 03:02 PM
Administrator

How it should be , wire on the bracket for the abs between the end link and strut.
Old 07-08-2022, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The ABS connector is supposed to be attached to the strut. There is a bracket on the strut for it. It is possible the wire is compromised.
The ambient air temp sensor is not part of the bumper cover. I think the change was either mid-year or 2010 model year.

I guess my point got lost in the ozone. The fog lights are connected to the BCM, if all of the modules don't initialize at the same time those codes are set, if you were to connect the lights wrong then start the car that might inhibit the boot process. Could be why they were removed. I would look at the fog relay and fuse #53 & #54 underhood fuse box to be sure they are wired correctly; The BCM supplies +12 to the relay. (maybe the PO decided there is no need for a relay)
some of the relays were loose which I pushed down and snugged them up. Its all orifinal, nothing has been tapped, crimped or modified. Ive been busy juggling the coop and garden before my surgery so been poking around at the car in between... My son in law is going to talk to his digital tech ( he got the equipment to flash and all that good stuff to see if its something he can iron out. But until then I will tinker with it, Ill try to disconnect the fogs tomorrow, as its been raining.

Quick Reply: ESC question