General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 02:06 PM

Can anyone tell me the location of the BCM and ECM and which wire is the communication wire to check. I want to make sure all the plugs are secure and check voltage to the sources. Its pouring rain today but once its dries up Ill ger to the fogs and the hub wiring to set it properly. Son in law says it has to be the communication wire loose somewhere, since fogs work correctly it shouldnt be that, probly a loose plug somewhere, but I am going to check all connections. Being that the first issue was on the return trip from vacation with the fuel guage, Im thinking a loose plug possibly at the BCM ?
Old 07-09-2022, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue

How it should be , wire on the bracket for the abs between the end link and strut.
yes I remember from my 08, the pic I posted was wrapped on the brake line (drivers side, On passenger side its wrapped on the link pin.... Ill get them done right soon here.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The ABS connector is supposed to be attached to the strut. There is a bracket on the strut for it. It is possible the wire is compromised.
The ambient air temp sensor is not part of the bumper cover. I think the change was either mid-year or 2010 model year.

I guess my point got lost in the ozone. The fog lights are connected to the BCM, if all of the modules don't initialize at the same time those codes are set, if you were to connect the lights wrong then start the car that might inhibit the boot process. Could be why they were removed. I would look at the fog relay and fuse #53 & #54 underhood fuse box to be sure they are wired correctly; The BCM supplies +12 to the relay. (maybe the PO decided there is no need for a relay)
correct, mine is on passenger side frame as mentioned before, the bumper cover I think is a 2010 or newer, since the AAS is mounted on the cover at the drivers side, the sensor is actually there.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:24 PM

What I meant was the AAS is NOT part of the bumper cover. The wiring harness is the factor in where it is mounted. We may be wrong about the timing of the change.
The 2010-2011 sensor simply clips onto the bumper cover, not "mounted" to it.

Where the AAS is has nothing to do with the year of the bumper cover.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
Can anyone tell me the location of the BCM and ECM and which wire is the communication wire to check. I want to make sure all the plugs are secure and check voltage to the sources. Its pouring rain today but once its dries up Ill ger to the fogs and the hub wiring to set it properly. Son in law says it has to be the communication wire loose somewhere, since fogs work correctly it shouldnt be that, probly a loose plug somewhere, but I am going to check all connections. Being that the first issue was on the return trip from vacation with the fuel guage, Im thinking a loose plug possibly at the BCM ?
Unless you know how to do this safely don't go messing around with the data lines or you will likely blow a module or two.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:20 PM

Check every connector that you have unplugged then plugged back in for bent or displaced pins.
Old 07-10-2022, 07:47 AM

No idea on battery, 12.40 as it sat all day... started and charging at 14.89v
17" factory wheels with proper tires. Doing a lobetomy now, and see what happens... All fuses are good.
some of the relays were loose which I pushed down and snugged them up. …
Down to 12.4V in less than a day suggests a bad battery, regardless of load test results, a different problem. I would check in 2-3 days and expect to find it even lower. An unequivocally good one will hold the 12.6V or so that the system charges it to for weeks or months.

This kind of battery problem, low voltage, can still provide plenty of cranking and easily start the car, yet cause all kinds of electrical problems, in particular all those “communication lost” issues like the ones on the sheet you posted (which is pretty fuzzy, btw, maybe edit the post with a higher rez or better focus image?)

Those codes suggest the possibility that the alignment was bungled and the battery or some other cause of low voltage are problems.

I have read many anecdotes of various electrical problems going away when a battery like that was replaced. It also worked for me. If the battery is older, just throwing in a new one would not be wasteful. No point trying to diagnose electrical problems with an iffy battery.

Maybe snugging up those relays helped? Prolly not but at this point I might try a new battery and see what happens after a little driving and then scan again.

Assuming proper tires means P215/50R17. Much bigger diameter will scuff on the strut spring perches. Even P215/55R17 is too big. I don’t know if the driver would notice than before the esc does.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Check every connector that you have unplugged then plugged back in for bent or displaced pins.
only thing I unplugged was the marker lights removing the bumper cover, bulbs were blown and replaced a few days later.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Down to 12.4V in less than a day suggests a bad battery, regardless of load test results, a different problem. I would check in 2-3 days and expect to find it even lower. An unequivocally good one will hold the 12.6V or so that the system charges it to for weeks or months.

This kind of battery problem, low voltage, can still provide plenty of cranking and easily start the car, yet cause all kinds of electrical problems, in particular all those “communication lost” issues like the ones on the sheet you posted (which is pretty fuzzy, btw, maybe edit the post with a higher rez or better focus image?)

Those codes suggest the possibility that the alignment was bungled and the battery or some other cause of low voltage are problems.

I have read many anecdotes of various electrical problems going away when a battery like that was replaced. It also worked for me. If the battery is older, just throwing in a new one would not be wasteful. No point trying to diagnose electrical problems with an iffy battery.

Maybe snugging up those relays helped? Prolly not but at this point I might try a new battery and see what happens after a little driving and then scan again.

Assuming proper tires means P215/50R17. Much bigger diameter will scuff on the strut spring perches. Even P215/55R17 is too big. I don’t know if the driver would notice than before the esc does.
odd happenings today, car sat all day yesterday while having work done to the house ( blown in insulation ) just went to the store tonight, car started up...No ESC lights??? Drove to gas station pulled up to pump, shifted into reverse....ding ding ding, damn Service ESC popped up right then???? and continued with the stop at the store and back as usual, but didnt do it at first oddly...
Old 07-11-2022, 10:00 AM

odd happenings today, car sat all day yesterday while having work done to the house ( blown in insulation ) just went to the store tonight, car started up...No ESC lights??? Drove to gas station pulled up to pump, shifted into reverse....ding ding ding, damn Service ESC popped up right then???? and continued with the stop at the store and back as usual, but didnt do it at first oddly...
Did you ever get the code(s)? If not you will continue to spin your wheels.

Quick Reply: ESC question