General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

ESC question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bonez
odd happenings today, car sat all day yesterday while having work done to the house ( blown in insulation ) just went to the store tonight, car started up...No ESC lights??? Drove to gas station pulled up to pump, shifted into reverse....ding ding ding, damn Service ESC popped up right then???? and continued with the stop at the store and back as usual, but didnt do it at first oddly...
Hmm. Any tire work done lately? They’re not supposed to use the slimy slippery stuff on the beads anymore because it makes the bead spin on the rim. Always been bad for instantly destroying tire balance, but now with esc…
Old 07-11-2022, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by PulpFriction
Hmm. Any tire work done lately? They’re not supposed to use the slimy slippery stuff on the beads anymore because it makes the bead spin on the rim. Always been bad for instantly destroying tire balance, but now with esc…
Huh? Proper tire installation includes lubricating the bead. It prevents damage to the bead from the machine, it helps seating the bead. If the bead is seated and the tire spins on the rim you got much bigger problems than the balance.
Maybe you mean petroleum based lubes? They are a definite no.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:32 PM

brand new tires day i bought it, also all new TPMS sensors install as 3 of the old ones were dead.
exact same tires i got on my 08 before it was totaled.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Huh? Proper tire installation includes lubricating the bead. It prevents damage to the bead from the machine, it helps seating the bead. If the bead is seated and the tire spins on the rim you got much bigger problems than the balance.
Maybe you mean petroleum based lubes? They are a definite no.
I didn’t mean dry. Varying opinions, but awhile back the issue of slipping on the rims was a big deal. I don’t didn’t pay much attention to whether they were just using water or what, but two guys were complaining that corporate wouldn’t let them use the stuff they used to. If have experienced that slipping.

Maybe now they use something less slimy.

Now I try to remember to put little paint marks on the tire and rim, or slightly less precisely at the valve, to check for it. Not my idea.

I was just an idea anyway. Maybe the thinking has changed. Again. Off to the land of google.

[edit] first article I looked at talked mentioned avoid silicone lubricants to avoid tire slippage.

https://www.tirereview.com/easy-does...ting-concerns/
Old 07-11-2022, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
brand new tires day i bought it, also all new TPMS sensors install as 3 of the old ones were dead.
exact same tires i got on my 08 before it was totaled.
Probably not the problem, but just to be sure you could put tiny paint marks on each tire at the valve to see if one has been slipping on the rim. I imagine it’s most likely under hard accel/decel, or slipping/spinning then grabbing but IDK.

Last edited by PulpFriction; 07-12-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 02:25 PM

I didn’t mean dry. Varying opinions, but awhile back the issue of slipping on the rims was a big deal. I don’t didn’t pay much attention to whether they were just using water or what, but two guys were complaining that corporate wouldn’t let them use the stuff they used to. If have experienced that slipping.

Maybe now they use something less slimy.

Now I try to remember to put little paint marks on the tire and rim, or slightly less precisely at the valve, to check for it. Not my idea.

I was just an idea anyway. Maybe the thinking has changed. Again. Off to the land of google.

[edit] first article I looked at talked mentioned avoid silicone lubricants to avoid tire slippage.

https://www.tirereview.com/easy-does...ting-concerns/
Ever notice the tiny paint dot on all new tires? If the tire buster knows his stuff that's where the stem goes.
Tire manufacturers demand the use of lube when mounting tires. There are right and wrong lubricants. Any lube used should evaporate in a few minutes. Soapy water evaporates and the soap acts like glue.
Mabe tires can slip on certain alloy rims, if the driver is a cowboy.
Old 07-11-2022, 04:32 PM

Tires are nothing like they were 30 or more years ago. Then neither is anything else on modern cars.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:07 AM

LOL no they use this black sticky stuff that dries like a rubber, definately doesnt slip. Most shops Ive seen just use soapy water installing tires, its a lube. But this black stuff is like a sealer too I suppose, pretty much "glues" the tire to the rim.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:36 AM

That stuff they use to seal the rims is the same stuff that you can spray or paint out of a can you see all over TV.
Flex seal.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:48 AM
Administrator

This is the stuff they used on the Terrain when I had the Michelins installed

Quick Reply: ESC question