General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Explain This!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:29 PM

I Took Our Both Black Covers Out Of The Front Bumper And Put In Tubeing To Direct Air Up Under The Hood.this Increased My Milage By Three Miles Per Gallon.to Stop Leaves And Other Debris From Entering The Engine Compartment I Put Nylon Mesh Streached Across A Circular Metal Frame That I Fabricated From Stainless Steel Shim Stock.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chitownmike
I Took Our Both Black Covers Out Of The Front Bumper And Put In Tubeing To Direct Air Up Under The Hood.this Increased My Milage By Three Miles Per Gallon.to Stop Leaves And Other Debris From Entering The Engine Compartment I Put Nylon Mesh Streached Across A Circular Metal Frame That I Fabricated From Stainless Steel Shim Stock.
You have my interest and I need to understand this better.

You removed what black bumper covers? Do you mean the fog lights grills?
You then ran what type of tubing and to where? And you just run the tubing into the engine compartment and "dump" the air.....not into a collector or filter?
Do you have the stock air filter sytem or one of the aftermarkets?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:04 PM
Deceased

All he meant one fog light cover fell out. i understood what he said.

be interesting to see someone pull the fog light covers on both side and see if they notice a difference in performance and mpg.

how big a sledge do you guys need. Ask a PT cruiser owner if they have one, i am sure someone will help you find one.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Founding Member

Got pictures?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:18 PM
Deceased

to me this is a great place to put them. lots of room and you could even put a chrome tube inlet to attach the hose to. Auto Zone and Pep Boys carry them. otherwise you would have to cut a hole in the bumper and the fog light hole is about the right size. the inlet would give you much better forced air to the hose. they are called velocity funnels.

this PowerAdder looks good
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-products.asp
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-3modular2.asp

Old 09-01-2006, 11:18 AM

Well thanks for the feed back (I guess).
Old 09-01-2006, 11:30 AM

I started this!!! If you need to know how to mess up the bumper it's really easy, just run over something on the freeway at 80mph. a piece tire tread from a simi-truck works best. By the way the insurance paid up and I have ordered a new bumper, air cond core and radiator. It goes in the shop late next week.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by cj krause
to me this is a great place to put them. lots of room and you could even put a chrome tube inlet to attach the hose to. Auto Zone and Pep Boys carry them. otherwise you would have to cut a hole in the bumper and the fog light hole is about the right size. the inlet would give you much better forced air to the hose. they are called velocity funnels.

this PowerAdder looks good
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-products.asp
http://www.powerflowracing.com/spectre-3modular2.asp

hmmm...I wonder if one of these jobbies could fit in front...either in the bumper or in front of the radiator and get some cool air into an Airaid intake? THe front of the intake is open...you could use both fog light holes and direct the air straight up the middle to the intakes front opening. Don't know if it can take the heat there or if it would obstruct air from getting to the radiator, but itd be cool. You could also use the the mod the covers to to add some mesh for stuff that may try to blow in there like...then use the same mesh for a Mr. Bumpstops Lower Grille (TM)

Is it feasable?

edit: Go to the website in cj's post. You can customize how this thing comes together! I need you alls professional opinion, but would it be worth it to get air from the two from ports (the fog light ports) and the wheel well or would the front ports to better by themselves? I'm willing to give it a shot, but I need some pro advice first...

Last edited by teech; 09-01-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by teech
hmmm...I wonder if one of these jobbies could fit in front...either in the bumper or in front of the radiator and get some cool air into an Airaid intake? THe front of the intake is open...you could use both fog light holes and direct the air straight up the middle to the intakes front opening. Don't know if it can take the heat there or if it would obstruct air from getting to the radiator, but itd be cool. You could also use the the mod the covers to to add some mesh for stuff that may try to blow in there like...then use the same mesh for a Mr. Bumpstops Lower Grille (TM)

Is it feasable?

edit: Got the website in cj's post. You can customize how this thing comes together! I need you alls professional opinion, but would it be worth it to get air from the two from ports (the fight light ports) and the wheel well or would the front ports to better by themselves? I'm willing to give it a shot, but I need some pro advice first...
Hi Teech,
If you do anything of the sort, I know you'll post it here ( Of course ), But I'd love to take a gander at it as I'm only an hour from you in New London . I drive your way a fair amount as I have relatives in Mass.
Besides, it gives another couple of members a reason to meet

I'm the guy who took off the famed Imco muffler do to its noise.
I still have the CGS with the outlaw filter though.........and of course the most importaint mod ( Other than adding chrome ), an anti sway bar.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:02 PM

I'll be sure to let you know in order to get a gander up close and personal...maybe get Firewatcher and some others to hang out too!

Quick Reply: Explain This!!!