General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Extended Warranty & Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 PM

Extended Warranty & Air Conditioning

We have about 4K miles on our LT HHR.

We did not buy the extended warranty but have received an offer from GMPP to purchase it now. We traded a 2001 Toyota Celica for our HHR. The finance guy told us "You are not buying a Toyota so you should consider the extended warranty". I asked him if that meant the HHR was of such poor quality that he had to use that approach to sell an extended warranty.

Anyway, the extended warranty offer does not appear to be all that great for the money. I know these are new vehicles and could be prone to problems. What is the consensus with the other owners on extended warranties.

One more issue is regarding the air conditioning. We find that by switching to recirculated air we really do not have to engage the actual air conditioning switch. I know the recirculated air does turn on the compressor. Is it better to turn the actual air conditioning switch on with outside air? Is there an issue just using the recirculated air? I know the max is to have the air conditioning switched on and recirculated air.
Thanks.....
Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 PM

I know what you mean about the pressure from the dealer to buy the extended warranty. They tried to tell me that if I hit a pothole I'd lose my transmission and if I didn't have the warranty I'd be out thousands. I told then that had never been a problem with my Ford and if that was a real problem maybe I was in the wrong dealership. I didn't get anymore pressure to buy the extended warranty after that, except for the monthy mailer that offers the same warranty. I'm sure there are plenty of people that won't buy a new car without the warranty but I'm not one of them.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:19 PM

We didn't have any pressure at all. The finance guy laid out a paper on the table with 4 options for extended warranty and told me to initial at the bottom of one if I wanted it and don't initial at all if I don't.

We bought it all except for the insurance against being upside-down on the amount owed. We made well over a 50% down payment so there is no danger of that. The main selling point was the interior/exterior protection. Supposedly if anything in the paint or interior gets messed up they will repair or replace it. Seemed well worth the $2000 price to me.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:58 PM

Since we planned on this HHR being our, or at least my, last new car purchase we went for the extended warranty to cover 72 Months. I know it's probably a rip off and not worth the cost (Unless you have a major mechanical disaster after 3 years have past), but we did it and there's no going back now. This is my first Chevy in 58 years of car buying and I hope it doesn't let us down!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:49 PM

My experience with extended warranties is to make sure you read the "fine print". They always sound promising but from what I've experienced they aren't worth the paper they're written on. As with the original warranty they usually don't cover the usual wear items, and the "Extended Warranty" even covers less. Yeah, they normally cover the big stuff, but that's not normally where we need the coverage.

I had an extended warranty on one of my vehicles years ago, the AC went out and the compressor locked up. I took it in for "Warranty Coverage" since the compressor was included, but when I went to pick up my car I was told I had to pay a repair bill of $500.00+ because a seal went bad (not a covered item) and as a result, the freon and compressor oil leaked out causing the compressor to lock up.....also not covered. I raised hell amd got it covered, but I'l never buy an extended warranty again.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:50 PM

I had to ask about the extended warranty. When I got my Suburban (used from a friend) it had the extended warranty that I had transferred to me. It cover the front suspenion and the rear door lock when they needed work.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Songman
We didn't have any pressure at all. The finance guy laid out a paper on the table with 4 options for extended warranty and told me to initial at the bottom of one if I wanted it and don't initial at all if I don't.
My dealership did the exact same thing. No pressure at all. I declined it.

Also, one thing my dealer did tell me was that if I didn't use any of my extended warranty, then it was 100% reimbursable.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by tucsondivots
We find that by switching to recirculated air we really do not have to engage the actual air conditioning switch. I know the recirculated air does turn on the compressor. Is it better to turn the actual air conditioning switch on with outside air? Is there an issue just using the recirculated air? I know the max is to have the air conditioning switched on and recirculated air.
Thanks.....
Either way is fine, when you run recirculate, as you know this automatically runs the compressor so you don't need to engage the switch. It's just like the lights, they automatically come on at night so there's no need to turn that switch to on either.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
My dealership did the exact same thing. No pressure at all. I declined it.

Also, one thing my dealer did tell me was that if I didn't use any of my extended warranty, then it was 100% reimbursable.
That was the nice thing about the extended warranty. I've bought them for other cars I've owned. When I sell the car, I can cancel the warranty and get all/most of my money back that I paid for it.

In fact, I should be getting a reimbursement check soon from my Mazda. Time to put in an order with SoCal!!!!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 AM

I bought the 100k extended warranty even though I had a family member that worked at the dealership and I always get A+ service. I've actually had a vehicle a few thousand miles over warranty that they fudged the paperwork on to get my repairs for free. But with the kind of miles I drive, the factory warranty would have been up within the first year. I'd rather pay for it and not need it than need it and not have it. Plus I get the money back if I don't use it. I was reimbursed for my warranty on the last vehicle I traded in as well.

I agree with Dan on the A/C, it's a personal thing as to whether you want to actually turn the switch on. The compressor kicks in anyways.

CBL

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty & Air Conditioning