General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Extended Warranty Scam

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Cajun
The GMPP warranty provides me with
one less thing to worry about...for me, that has a value all it's own, above and beyond the costs.

That says it all because, peace of mind cannot be measured in dollars.

Anything that lowers my daily stress is a value to me.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Most of the dealers out there are shady. It doesn't matter wheather it's GM, Ford, Toyota, or whatever. They will try the whole book of gimmicks, and dirty tricks, trying to make a buck from you. I bought a 2009 Certified Used HHR, and they brag about the 4 year/48,000 mile warranty...you don't get the full warranty, without paying extra for it, you just get the remainder of the factory warranty.

A piece of advice, if you are looking for a used car, make sure you know how much it is worth, before going to a dealer, and make sure they have the price clearly marked on the window. If not, just move on, cause they will try all kinds of B.S. on you.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:37 PM

You are correct "ChevyMgr". I should have read the fine print. Its just that out of the last 5 new GM vehicles that I haved purchased from GM dealers which all had GM extened warranties this is the first time I realized that they have the option to sell you a non-GM warranty on a new vehicle at GM dealer. If its one thing that I have learned it is to read everything and don't assume anything ! Thanks !
Found an excellent article about "Choosing the extended warranty that's right for you" on the Edmunds web page
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/warran...0/article.html

Last edited by TyroneMD; 12-10-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:25 PM

I too got the extended Warranty but made sure it was the GM one and I would have gotten that even if it was a bit more. I had it on my last vehicle and while it was a very reliable vehicle it covered a couple 02 sensors, a faulty U-Joint and a power window problem. When I looked at the cost of those jobs the warranty was more than paid for. I think the Power Window problem was a little retainer clip or something that cost like 60 cents but the labor to tear apart the door and such was like $500. My chevy's have all been reliable cars and never one left me stranded even after 100,000's of miles of driving but little things went here and there and I have no complaints.

Gotta be careful with those third party warranties anyway and I still get calls at my house once in a while trying to sell me one even though my 2008 HHR has a warranty up to 84,000 miles or something like that. Bumper to Bumper and no deductible. I had a buddy get duped into buying one for his Dodge Magnum and every shop he took it too (even a dealership) they denied his claim even though the warranty said he could pick his own service center. They said the service center was charging more than they though the repair should cost so it was denied.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:59 PM

I agree that most extended warranties are very suspect and a high profit generator for dealerships. One possible exception is a 7 year that my daughter in-law got with her M3 BMW. So far replaced a windshield, a tire, and repaired door dings at zero cost. They claim to cover absolutely everything with no co-pay and are so far living up to that. (yes, I know that the basic BMW warranty is pretty good)