General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Factory Foglight Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:27 PM

Factory Foglight Wiring

I have spent the last few hours searching for something that might answer my question. Yesterday while replacing my headlight bulbs I saw the end of a wiring harness with a capped-off connector. My guess is that it was the harness for the foglights that I don't have. In some of the posts concerning foglights, they talk about the harness behind the waterfall for the foglight switch. Assuming that my 07 1LT has that harness, what do I need, other than the foglights and switch, to install factory foglights on my car? Will the factory relays be in place? Will this be a plug and play? Will we see world peace in our lifetime? A while back I thought someone posted on this topic, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

In advance, I thank you ! !
Old 08-29-2010, 08:19 PM

I installed factory fog lamps on an 07 LS. the car had the conector beind the water fall ffor the switch but did not have the wiring from the body controler to the pdc under the hood or the wiring from the pdc to the fog lamps. I made my own harness for the ones i was missing. From talking to others some cars have under hood haeness some don't and so on. the best thing to do is start looking. look at the pdc fog lamp fuse spot and see if there is two conectors for both sides of the fuse. if there is only one your car don't have the under hood harness. but understand if you have the harness or you install them you still have to get the dealer to reprogram the body controller for the factory switch to work. hope this helps. if you look in my gallery you can print wiring diagrams for the fog lights. feel free to ask question I will share what I have learned about factory fog lights.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM

So, you have an unused harness on BOTH sides of the car...near the foglight location? Post up a pic and someone should be able to give you a better answer of what you have there.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM

I installed factory fogs in my '07 1LT. Wiring harness is in the dash for the switch. Relay is in the fuse box under the hood. You will need the fog lights (I got mine on ebay for a very good price), suitable gauge wiring to run two lengths from each fog light to the fuse box. One switch ($15 from GMPartsPeople).

The How-To is on the forum.

If shows you exactly where to wire into the fuse box. I followed it without trouble. Mine work, did not have the BCM flashed. Green idiot light on dash does not come on, but for $85-$90 to flash the BCM, I can live without the indicator light.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Here's the link to the How-To:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/do-yourself-factory-fogs-637/
Old 08-30-2010, 04:24 PM

And, no, I did not have a wiring harness in place for the fogs. Didn't find anything behind the headlights like you describe.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:29 PM

Thanks everyone for quick answers. Lucky, what's a pdc? Sunday I read more do-it-yourself posts about foglight installation than you could shake a stick at. If someone can't install a set of foglights from all of the info on this forum, shame, shame, shame

Since I'm pretty sure that I have most of the wiring in place, I'm trying to find out what else to look for (fuses, relays etc.) to make this a plug and play by just adding lights and a switch.

Again thanks for the replies.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic1
Thanks everyone for quick answers. Lucky, what's a pdc? Sunday I read more do-it-yourself posts about foglight installation than you could shake a stick at. If someone can't install a set of foglights from all of the info on this forum, shame, shame, shame

Since I'm pretty sure that I have most of the wiring in place, I'm trying to find out what else to look for (fuses, relays etc.) to make this a plug and play by just adding lights and a switch.

Power Distribution Center (pdc) sorry thats a term from the auto tech days. its the box under the hood where the fuses and relays are.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lucky
Power Distribution Center (pdc) sorry thats a term from the auto tech days. its the box under the hood where the fuses and relays are.
Originally Posted by Lucky
Look at the pdc fog lamp fuse spot and see if there is two conectors for both sides of the fuse.
Thanks, greatly appreciated.

Last edited by cosmic1; 08-31-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Correct text
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by cosmic1

If you were on the front passenger side what you found was your temp (outdoor temp) sensor that should have been hanging from a plastic wire holder. It looks like a foglight connector, but it is actually a smaller version with a plug in it.

Quick Reply: Factory Foglight Wiring