General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Factory roof rack rails

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:58 AM

Factory roof rack rails

Good day to everyone. I am very new here. I own a 2008 hhr LT. I have the chrome looking roof rack rails on my hhr and I wanted to just get cross bars to put some camping stuff on the roof. A friend of mine said these rails were just for looks, that they weren't functioning. He said if I tried to use them it would rip them right out of my roof. Is this true? Have any of you used yours? Thank you so much in advance

Dee
Old 06-26-2019, 07:45 AM

Do you own a owners manual ?
If so use the index in the back and find Roof Rack System.
I have a manual and it states no more that 165lbs should be loaded on the cross bars of the roof rack.
Loading directly onto the roof itself is not recommended.
Do you have cross rails ?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:52 AM

I do not. I wanted to make sure the chrome side rails were functional before I bought anything. The manual does talk about what you stated but my friend said it was full of you know what. So I have been searching for hours to see if I can save some cash and just use the rails I have and buy the cross bars
Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM

This is what I have.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the site, while I don’t have the roof rails, I have never seen or heard of problems with using roof rails and cross bars.
I installed a trailer hitch and use a bike rack in that to carry our bikes.
I have seen Thule, products to mount kayaks up on the roof.
I suggest use caution as you will be raising the centre of gravity.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 AM

The price of the cross rails is what will stop you. However, if you are just camping you might consider something as simple as a couple of 2X4s secured with T bolts or something.

Just respect that 165 lb that isn't much.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

X2 on what the others replied.

As far as your statement: "but my friend said it was full of you know what." . No offense but I think your friend is the one who's full of it. One of those people that goes against everything the manufacturer states about their product.
Why would they say it's usable for cargo if it's not ? They would just be opening the door for lawsuits and car body repairs by printing misleading info.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
X2 on what the others replied.

As far as your statement: "but my friend said it was full of you know what." . No offense but I think your friend is the one who's full of it. One of those people that goes against everything the manufacturer states about their product.
Why would they say it's usable for cargo if it's not ? They would just be opening the door for lawsuits and car body repairs by printing misleading info.
I agree and I argued the point with him. But you know some people. It still made me paranoid. I just wanted to hear from peeps who have the same car and rails as I do....just to be sure. I see the cross bars are about $200 however I think it will be a good investment in the long run.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by donbrew
The price of the cross rails is what will stop you. However, if you are just camping you might consider something as simple as a couple of 2X4s secured with T bolts or something.

Just respect that 165 lb that isn't much.
Was planning on putting the tent, canopy chairs and tables....I think that would be ok....I don't think it would come to 165lbs
Old 06-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Administrator

A TTR rear swaybar would help in the corners .

Quick Reply: Factory roof rack rails