General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Filter Change Today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:08 AM

Filter Change Today!

Hey Guys and Gals!

My first post! Yaaaah!

Just letting everyone know I changed my oil filter today @ 800 miles. Yes, Just the filter until the 1k mark, then Synthetic it goes. WOW! Now I know why GM put out a bulletin out on the metal shavings! I was so curios tonight and changed the filter, then opened the one that I took out and it was like a Christmas tree!
Sparkles everywhere, which were from the metal shavings from the assembly of the engine! Pretty cool you can see all the stuff the filter is actually collecting! Unlike the old canister filters, you really can't see anything unless you take the canister off which is a PITA and messy. Just want to show you all the effects of changing your filter often. Let me know what you think!

Decent picture here of the metal shavings. CRAZY!

All the white specks on the filter are the metal shavings.

You can see the long piece of metal shaving sticking out of one of the filter pleats.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:41 AM

Thanks for the pics. Nice to know the filter is doing its job.

BTW.........................
Old 06-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting to note in your last picture....the filter seems to be slightly crushed. Any reason for that?? Also noticed it on several other posts. I haven't had that problem and was wondering the source of what appears to be damage.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
the filter seems to be slightly crushed. Any reason for that??
You know, I noticed on other posts the same thing. I think it might be from the factory installing the filters for the initial start because I put in a ACDelco Part number: PF457G filter that had the filter pleats perfectly straight. Who knows. It's weird to see that from a factory filter in just 800 miles. Anyone else who might have a clue, please let us know! I will see if the new filter does the same thing when I pull it out on my next oil change.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by saturntek
Hey Guys and Gals!

My first post! Yaaaah!

Just letting everyone know I changed my oil filter today @ 800 miles. Yes, Just the filter until the 1k mark, then Synthetic it goes. WOW! Now I know why GM put out a bulletin out on the metal shavings! I was so curios tonight and changed the filter, then opened the one that I took out and it was like a Christmas tree!
Sparkles everywhere, which were from the metal shavings from the assembly of the engine! Pretty cool you can see all the stuff the filter is actually collecting! Unlike the old canister filters, you really can't see anything unless you take the canister off which is a PITA and messy. Just want to show you all the effects of changing your filter often. Let me know what you think!

Decent picture here of the metal shavings. CRAZY!

All the white specks on the filter are the metal shavings.

You can see the long piece of metal shaving sticking out of one of the filter pleats.
Welcome to the site Keith.
Thank's for the pictures. I have just over 1000 mi on my HHR and oil and filter will be changed before 1500 mi.
Proably gona stick with regular oil for now, as I change oil and filter at 2500-3000 mi. Not quite convinced to go to synthetic yet.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:19 AM

to the forum
Old 06-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Name:  welcome4.gif
Views: 51
Size:  5.6 KB to the site saturntek!!! After 800 miles that's just plain crazy!!!
Old 06-23-2007, 08:17 PM

I have always bought new car. When I took my previous car (Chevy Aveo) in for its 1000 mile oil and filter change, the mechanic recommended that I not do it. The oil change interval I used was 7500. I work night shift and commute against traffic, all highway driving.

I plan to keep the HHR for a long time. I'll have to talk to my mechanic about doing the 1000 mile oil and filter change on the HHR.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, I'll probably stick with regular oil, as well.

-JJ
Old 06-23-2007, 08:25 PM

I pulled out my filter when I did my oil change and saw no shavings ( it had 30.000 on it though so I hope there was no shavings) it was crushed just like the pic above shows. I put in a fram filter and it felt like it might have crunched alittle but I just figured it was the oring on the ned seating in its spot, I guess I find out when I change my oil next time. Also I contacted KNN and Mobil 1 and niether of them are making the cartrige style oil filters yet, as of a couple months ago. If anyone knows or ears different plese post it.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:16 PM

My filter change at 1100 miles looked all wavy like that also. Did not notice any shavings though. SuperTech filter in there now will be changed out in about 2 weeks (3000 miles) so I'll see and report what that looks like. Fram 9018 will be going in for probably another 3K OIC before I go back to 5 K changes

Goose

Quick Reply: Filter Change Today!