General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

First Impressions From A New HHR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:00 AM

First Impressions From A New HHR Owner

Hello All,
I just picked up my brand new 2LT HHR last night from a local dealership. I had been toying with the idea of getting one for awhile, but actually had given up the idea. Then the 0% financing deal was announced and I couldn't resist. So, I had the dealer search around Minnesota and I bought 1 of only 3 Black 2LT HHR's here with Cashmere Leather Interior. This thing is fully loaded. I only opted out of the monthly payments (XM and OnStar), otherwise she's got it all (even got the 72-month 100,000 mile warranty). Let me just say, the Cashmere Interior with the Black Exterior... looks real slick.

What I Like:
I drove the car around cities a little bit last night and I'm pretty impressed. The 2.4 liter has a decent amount of pick up in it, not a problem getting on to the highway. Also, the DIC is a pretty nifty little console, Average MPG (it is showing the average, not the current, right?) for example is really useful. I love the push button for the opening the hatch. Also, I love how roomy the car feels when you're in it. I feel like I'm sitting inside of a giant SUV, however, the driving the car feels like it's similar to my old NX I had. The turn radius is relly tight. I did a 180 from the left lane into the other left lane, with only a small median seperating the two. The different compartments are pretty cool and the radio controls are also really nice. The pioneer system is definitely worth the money as well, because it sounds outstanding. The Bass doesn't move the car, but it still provides a decent amount of push, to get the point across to people in the car that you have Bass when you want it. On the other Jazz music sounds great too, so the tweeters and midrage are pretty good.

What I Don't Like:
The door lock knobs. What were they thinking? Those things are massive. I love to drive with the windows down and if you don't lay your arm just right on that door, you're in for a bruise. I'm gonna be getting new knobs for that ASAP. Also, that giant Antenna... it detracts from the look of the car. I'm going to get a stubby ASAP as well. Also, that little net that pops up when you open your sun roof. What is the deal with that? At first I was horrified whenI heard it, now it might actually be growing on me, but I was still really surprised when it popped out. Finally, there is dirt (looks like shoe marks and dirty areas) all over my interior. I pointedd it out to my salesman and he said he didn't have any leather interior cleaner to clean it off with, and that he had rushed the detailers so I could ahve the car sooner. I conceded as I'm gonna just give it a good detail my self. Also, there's a scratch in the gauge bezel which I also pointed out to him, and I conceded to trying some sort of compound to rub it out (anyone have any recommendations?). If I can't get it out, he said he have a new one put in. The real depressing thing I noticed though was when I got home last night, I say two giant deep scratches in the driver's door side that I hadn't noticed at the delarership (we're talking deep enough to scratch into the metal and raise burrs). Do you think I can bring it back to the dealer and he'll take care of that?

This car is a looker. I drive a Trans Am, and so I'm used to people looking at me. I actually didn't think it would happen in this car too, but it does. I'm used to it, so I don't mind. It seems to be the older people who look more then the younger ones that would look at the TA. I think this car looks great though, GM did an excellent Job on this one.

So, this is my entry into the HHR world and I'm hoping to be with guys for a real long time I know I have a lot of mod plans in the future for this baby, and it's gonna be a blast!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:43 AM

Bring it back to the dealer and have the body guys repair your paint and replace the bezel. As for the "fishing pole" on the roof, there are shorter antennae available. One of our supporting vendors, SoCal HHRs has a nice stubby available. www.socalhhrs.com

He has other items you may be interested in, but please, check out the other supporting vendors while you are at it https://www.chevyhhr.net/vendorindex.php

Have fun and enjoy your ride!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:03 AM

Welcome to ChevyHHR. The place where the points don't matter, yep, they dont matter just like a PT.

Enjoy the site. and if you have questions, There is a search button on the tool bar above, that a lot of the items fall under already.

Another HHR to watch for on my travels down I-35.

We like Pics around here, there is some good how to's and interesting mods (modifications. like the doorknobs, lower grille and upper grille, intakes,and lots of others.

Enjoy your stay :twothumbs and
Old 07-04-2006, 09:24 AM

to the site.

Be sure to check your fuse box under the hood. Many of us have found the fuses are not seated all the way from the factory.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:57 AM

to chevyhhr.net That sounds like a mighty fine car you got and we look forward to seeing some pics of it...both before and after mods. We're are a picture hungry bunch which you will soon find out, if you haven't already.

The guys above are right...take it back to the dealer and have them make it right as soon as possible and be sure they give you a loaner vehicle while yours is being repaired if it takes more than a day.

As Firewatcher indicated, we have a great selection of vendors who support our site. I've got the original stubby antenna from SoCalHHR's and will probably be upgrading to the "stretch" which comes in several different lengths.

Also...like TX- HHr mentioned...be sure to check all the fuses to be sure they are tight...we've found generally on all ours, that they are not seated properly. See this thread for info. You might also want to mod the rear wiper, so it's easier to clean the windows and that thread can be found here.

Well...I've rambled enough. Look forward to seeing you around the forums.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:19 AM

Thanks all for the replies... Actually, I had been reading alittle bit from these forums before I bought the car, and right when I was in the dealer lot, I opened up the fuse box and showed the salesman how they needed to be popped in :) . Tomorrow, I'll bring the HHR and have them take care of the scrathes then. Also, that Wiper mod I'll have to do. Oh, and thanks for the vendor page link, I wasn't aware of that one, only Mike's SoCalHHR site, which is where I was going to be buying my mods from :) . I'll have to snatch some pics of the car. This is gonna be fun!
Old 07-04-2006, 10:43 AM

Congrats, I think the HHR is looking ride....as for the door scratches I'd bring it to the attention of dealer ASAP so they can correct it. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:36 AM

Cool

Congrat's dude.
There was a thread along time back about dis-likes. We all share some of the same!

There are some Mod's out there to change some of the dislikes.
Enjoy the HHR!
Old 07-04-2006, 01:23 PM

Congrads on the new ride and welcome
Old 07-04-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by outdooricon
Also, there's a scratch in the gauge bezel which I also pointed out to him, and I conceded to trying some sort of compound to rub it out (anyone have any recommendations?). If I can't get it out, he said he have a new one put in.
I don't think that you will be able to compound the scratch out of the lens. I work on the I/P line at the Corvette plant, when we get a lens that is scratched we don't even bother trying to polish it out anymore. It only makes a bigger area that is swirled. I would request that the lens be replaced.

Quick Reply: First Impressions From A New HHR Owner