General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

First real test with the HHR and snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM
ecl

First real test with the HHR and snow

Took a trip and ran into a lot of snow and the car did excellent, even with the stock tires. I didnt slide at all until I hit American Fork UT and they had about 6-8 inches of snow. Over all real impressed and no complaints with the stock tires. Did get a little stuck but after working it back and forth I crawled right out.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 PM

i slid around a bit tonight. We got snow during the day, then it warmed up a bet, snow compacted into ice, then froze, then it rained in top of it. My road is a solid sheet of ice. When i went to take the dog out (in the pouring freezing rain) i was standing on the sidewalk which is a very slight incline, and standing still i was sliding slowly down it. Very slippery...

None the less for out slippery it is out, the hhr did pretty good. stock tires on mine too.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 PM

I am glad to seee some other that can drive in snow without a 4x4 and some special tires.

You are restoring my faith there are people who can drive on bad roads again.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Totally shty I-271 yesterday. Only 2 cars passed me. a Monte SS and an Impala SS.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Totally shty I-271 yesterday. Only 2 cars passed me. a Monte SS and an Impala SS.

You got passed?

You need to do better.

IF you take the snow and ice covered left lane they can't get by you.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I am glad to seee some other that can drive in snow without a 4x4 and some special tires.

You are restoring my faith there are people who can drive on bad roads again.
growing up in michigan and learning (read as being in a few ditches in my lifetime) how to drive in the snow is all it takes. I like in Indiana now and it doesn't matter if it's sunny and 75 out, these people don't know how to drive. Give em a little ice and snow, and watch out.

When we had freezing rain and snow last week i took the hhr out to play around with it and see how it did. The only times i really skid was when i was making it do it in a parking lot. Then on my way home all these people were fishtailing all over the place, while i was hitting the gas and seeing if the traction control light would come on, and i was fine...

When i drive in the snow i don't worry about my skills that much, i worry about eveyrone else and someone plowing into the side of me.

Last year i drove through a blizzard (yeah, blizzard!) in michigan. The trip normally takes 3 hours or less, and it took me over 5. 30mph on I-94, snow like crazy, ice, one lane open, and i was in my wife's freakin aveo. Then the 4x4's blow by me (and semis) doing 55, when everyone else was going slow, then i saw them all in the ditch later.

Plus my windshield wiper broke, jammed in to the other one and and my visibility was shot. Luckily i could get off and fix that, or that would have been trouble.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm not worried about my driving, but I always look in the rear view for those dopes on the cell phone trying to drive and text at the same time. I would just like to bite their heads off...

Last edited by Cokeybill; 07-10-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM

im not worried about my snow driving skills..
cause ive never had to drive in snow over
the 4 years ive been driving
Old 12-24-2008, 11:05 AM

with the way the weather has been insane who knows you might have to on your trip...
Old 12-24-2008, 01:47 PM

My first test was this morning. We got freezing rain overnight. Since we have a salt dome right around the corner I figured my street would be fine. It was a little tough getting out of the drive as it is uphill so I maneuvered onto the lawn and drove up to the street. That's when I realized that the salt trucks hadn't been near my street! I basically sat there slowly spinning my wheels. I made it about 100' before I decided to go home and wait a bit. Next time out I took my F-150 4X4. Still some spinning but much better traction and that was using only 2 wheel drive.

Quick Reply: First real test with the HHR and snow