General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

First real test with the HHR and snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 12:29 AM

I'm in Twisterman's neck of the woods and after hearing all the reviews of the stock tires I was nervous about this season, but they haven't been too bad. I don't have the traction control on my car, but I've been driving in this stuff without it for 8 years, so I think I'm doing alright.

Central Indiana has gotten 3 ice storms so far...I'm getting pretty tired of it!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 AM

Fine so far with just snowtires

Went with the Blizzacks (no studs) a couple weeks before the snow started and have been very satisfied. Have gotten more snow than usual here in Spokane, WA. Lots of 4WD pickups running chains here. I have an 8 mile round trip to work and back and it's been good so far. Would like to get some chains for backup but all the retails here are out of chains, snow shovels and snow blowers. Even some major tire stores ran out of snow tires. So much for the beaches..... Overall very pleased with the handling of the HHR with the Blizzacks in the snow. Recommend 'em!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Have had 22 inches of snow here in Central Oregon so far. Installed Hankook snow tires in November...big improvement in traction over the stock tires!
Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by knightRS32
I'm in Twisterman's neck of the woods and after hearing all the reviews of the stock tires I was nervous about this season, but they haven't been too bad. I don't have the traction control on my car, but I've been driving in this stuff without it for 8 years, so I think I'm doing alright.

Central Indiana has gotten 3 ice storms so far...I'm getting pretty tired of it!

Sounds like you know how to drive.

People forget that winter tires only make up 10% of the market including SUV's and crossovers. So few cars use winter tires.

Winter Sales have only increased of late since Quebec I heard just past a law to require them. It has lowered crashes 30% but most of those were due to new tires vs bald tires that were on before.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Blizzak Revo's all the way around, and I'll have to say the best snow performance of any car I've owned, although I've never had 4WD. The ECS also works well. As a lark, I gunned it a bit going around an icy corner and traction and ecs lights came on, but I got through the corner perfectly.

Now if I could only do something about all the idiot Cleveland drivers who, every year like clockwork, forget that snow is slippery. Especially amusing are the "invincable" AWD SUV drivers who mindlessly pass you during a blizzard only to discover that once they tromp the brakes, they're no better off than a Kia. They're invariably the first ones spun out on their side. 5000 Lbs of topheavy truck is no fun on ice.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
You got passed?

You need to do better.

IF you take the snow and ice covered left lane they can't get by you.
In all fairness, I was in the express lanes, lane actually, and they were in the local lanes that had been cleared. So they really didn't pass me per se' they just were going faster.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by knightRS32

My stock Firestone Firehawks perform poorly in snow. I can foresee difficulty moving from park up a hill or parking on the camber againt the curb.

Snow tires with rims and TPMS would cost 1,270 CAD - so not worth it. The TireRack site confirms the stock tires are poor performers in snow. The site does indicate some all season tires that do much better. Continental comes to mind. That's the way I'll go if I ever wear out the Firestones.