General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Flat tires! Learn from my mistakes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Flat tires! Learn from my mistakes!

I was coming home on a Thursday evening at almost 6PM. The road I was on is still in the middle of construction and freshly oil-rocked. So, when the front end started vibrating a bit as I accellerated from a stop sign, I didn't think too much of it. The vibration started getting worse and the car started to pull to the right. I knew then that I had a flat. At this point, I had already driven 1/2 a mile on it and I was half a block from my driveway, so I limped it home because I had my three sons with me.

I thought I would throw some air in it, and drive it down to the closest Les Schwab. I plugged in my air compressor and when I went to put air in the tire I realized that the rubber valve stem had cracked around the base! Dang! Time to put on the spare.

I got the spare and the jack out, and removed the cap from the center of my wheel. I then got the lug wrench, only to find out that the lug wrench will not fit into my custom wheels!! I called Les Schwab to ask if possibly they could send someone, and they pretty much said no. Also, they closed at 6.

I didn't have to work the next day, so I left it alone and made plans to go in my other car to Schwab's in the morning to get the socket adaptor that will allow me to use my lug wrench. I was pretty irritated that they didn't give one to me when I purchased the tires and wheels.

So, I went down the next morning and got the part. I put the service spare on and went to Schwab's to get the flat fixed. "Which tire is flat?" they asked. "The one in the trunk," I said.

After waiting a bit, I found that the tire was no good anymore due to my running on it flat. The wheel was OK, and not marred. The guy I was working with went ahead and warrantied it anyway although they didn't have to. After pro-rating, it cost me $33. No big. He suggested I replace all valve syems with metal for $12. I had a bad experience with metal ones before that came loose, plus I just wanted to get going. The guy agreed with my assesment, but also said that if a metal one leaks it is a slow leak, and you can still get somewhere for a repair or sometimes just tighten the nut on it. I appreciated the advice, but never had a problem in my 20+ years of driving with rubber stems, so told him no thanks.

The next morning, I got up early to go to a sales meeting 30 miles north. As I headed out of the driveway I felt the sponginess of A FLAT TIRE!!!! Another tire ended up having exactly the same problem as the last one. GRRRR! At least I can put my spare on this time. I drove right in and the guys at Les Schwab replaced all four valve stems with metal ones at no charge. The tire was fine. I ended up missing my meeting though. I was a bit irritated that they didn't check my other valve stems closely, but then again, neither did I.

When given a choice from now on, use ONLY METAL VALVE STEMS! Also, make sure that you can actually change your tire with what you have on hand instead of learning you can't at an inconvenient time. I am very thankful I was not on the side of a freeway with my kids and no way to change the tire.

Please learn from my mistakes.

Last edited by crazybob; 08-08-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: I spell and grammar good.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:53 PM

Yup, been there!

I now keep the special lug adapter in the dash cubby in both our cars!

And yeah, they shoulda given you one when they sold you the wheels
Old 08-08-2007, 03:11 PM

You got metal stems?
Old 08-08-2007, 03:51 PM

metal valve stems?
i dunno ive heard they arent good to use either...
i bought some new tires for my truck that has 20s and i wanted them metal stems and the caps and whatever, the guy was liek hell no, dont ever use them, he explained why and i was like ok nvm just the caps then

he said something i think about them warping and the air coming out and possibly make the tire esplode!!

so i havent used them
Old 08-08-2007, 05:20 PM

I have had metal stems on my vette since '93 never had a problem.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:15 PM

You have custom lug nuts on your aftermarket wheels? I carry an old style lug wrench with 4 different sizes. Will that normally fit that stock lug nuts?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 PM

My set of wheels came w/lugs with a different outer edge, deep ridges. They came with their own deep socket.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
You have custom lug nuts on your aftermarket wheels? I carry an old style lug wrench with 4 different sizes. Will that normally fit that stock lug nuts?

It's not fitting the lug nuts that is making the problem. You need a thin wall socket to get into the hole that surrounds the lug nut. The 4-way you describe won't fit in there. You need a thin wall 13/16 to 13/16 adaptor that the lug wrench fits onto. Alternatively, a lug wrench that uses a thin wall socket such as a Gorilla lug wrench would work as well.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
jx3

Thanks for the HEADS UP!! Ever since I put really wide rims on my 90 Suzi Sidekick, I always make sure I carry my deep well, shallow shank socket set.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by EL_REY
metal valve stems?
i dunno ive heard they arent good to use either...
i bought some new tires for my truck that has 20s and i wanted them metal stems and the caps and whatever, the guy was liek hell no, dont ever use them, he explained why and i was like ok nvm just the caps then

he said something i think about them warping and the air coming out and possibly make the tire esplode!!

so i havent used them
That was always my school of thought, too. It was explained to me like this: If you get a crack in a rubber valve stem, there is no way to keep air in the tire. A leaking metal stem can be tightened at least enough to get down the road. I can't see a leaking valve causing a blowout any more than any other kind of flat.

The guys at the tire shop said they see cracked rubber stems all of the time.

Either way, it's always a good idea to replace them when you change tires.

Quick Reply: Flat tires! Learn from my mistakes!