General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Flex Fuel HHR

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Founding Member

I have owned a flex fuel 2007 Tahoe since February 2006. I live in Dallas, population currently around 7 million. As far as I know there are only 2 stations selling ethanol, both miles away from me. So I have never used the product. Until the oil companies start selling the product there is no way for me to ever test it and see the results. Of course this is texas where we like to produce and refine oil and most of the corn is in cans at the grocery store.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Looks like this might come sooner than expected. 2009 not 2010.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:00 PM

My Yukon is an 01, so I missed the flex fuel engine by a year. My HHR, and 07 so I missed by 2 years or so on that one.

I live in a rural area but my local gas station carries E85. I wish I could use it.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:59 AM

Interesting thread. And one I see repeated on every car related forum on the Internet. Lots of misinformation too. First, 1/3 of our oil comes from the Middle East, 1/3 from Venezuela, and 1/3 from North America. Prices are not controlled by oil companies but by speculators. Oil is sold on futures. The oil companies certainly aren't going to complain about it though. Nice running article on whats going on: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801/.

I'll agree that ethonal should not be considered a panacea. But niether is a waste of time, or a scam. There is so much propoganda being spewed out by both sides of the debate that few people really understand what correct and not. For example, on the subject of corn, only "cow" corn is used in producing ethonal. Not the stuff in the grocery store. And only a fraction of the "cow" corn is used for ethonal. More important, the cost increases in corn over the past few years are only marginally affected by corn used for ethonal production. The majority of the cost comes from the price diesel fuel (over 4$ a gal and people are trying to blame ethonal production?) for harvesting and shipping, and the weather.

GM is betting that in a few years ethonal will be made from garbage. http://www.news.com/GM-invests-in-tr...3-6225783.html. I think this is interesting and significant. No auto manufacturer is going to want to be behind the changes, like they were in the 70s. They want to continue to keep us buying cars. So when the price of gas is so high that it would keep many people from driving, other fuels may be able to keep us going.

Even if you have a flex fuel vehicle and can get E-85 for it, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use it. But if gas hits $6 a gal, and E-85 is $3.50. You can bet people will be happy to burn corn or what ever else they are using to make the stuff.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
I will absolutely stick my neck waaaayyyy out, and say...

Who ever gets an HHR that is an E-85 approved vehicle will not like it. I will place one requirement on the statement....using present engines.
I think it really depends on how one chooses to use it. If someone expects the same performance and mileage, yes, they won't like it. But if they are aware of the tradeoffs and if using it is something they desire, they'll love it. Its just like what some people told us about the HHR. We were told that we wouldn't like it because we took a big step down from a Cadillac to a low end Chevy. You know what, we love the HHR as much as the Caddy. For different reasons of course as they are obviously very different cars, but we still love the HHR. Then again, we knew what to expect. I know what you mean about present engines. Its sort of akin to using 93 octane gas in a top fuel dragster. Not mean to be, and even if you can get it to work, its not at all efficient. I really do wonder, if an engine were designed from the ground up to run nothing but E-85, what it it be like?

I think you mentioned towing in a previous post, GM doesn't recommend towing with E-85. E-85 isn't meant to be a total replacement for gasoline, but alternative for some circumstances and uses. Thats why its called a "flex fuel" vehicle.

Last edited by Doc brown; 04-16-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks Doc for all your comments IN BOTH POSTS. You essentially support everything I have been discussing and claiming, on this forum (if you go back, you will discover I had some "one on one" discussions with several different people on the subjects you touched on)and others. Only you explained it better.