General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Floor mat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:28 AM
Deceased

Sorry rmc51, but the "Hook, Retention, Mat, Driver's Floor" only comes as part of the complete carpet.

If you use "Form Fitted" mats like those offered by WeatherTech, the hook isn't needed if it's missing.

It's sole purpose in life is to keep the Driver's Side floormat from getting pushed forward and fouling the pedals.

That can cause issues, if anyone remembers the "Runaway Toyotas" from a few years back, that was eventually blamed on the floor mats.
Old 12-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lucky
No problem.

This was just one type that I found. I don't think that GM offers just the hook without getting the complete carpet.

There are other manufactures that offer replacements so your best bet is try to find something close that will work.
Talked to GM dealer today, hook is part of the carpet. I'm thinking that I might be able to fill the hole on the floor with rtv and stick this hook that you found into it and when the rtv hardens that might work??????
Old 12-01-2015, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Get one of those plastic hooks with the self adhesive backing tape. Local hardware store or even Wally World. About $3-$4.
Pull the carpet back and stick the hook where it pokes through the carpet where the old hook was.
Put the carpet back in place and hook up your floor mat.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Deceased

Exactly George, the hook doesn't need to be strong enough to tow the HHR with, it just keeps the floormat from creeping forward.

Some folks are "foot shufflers" while they drive, hence the hook to keep the driver's mat in place, GM's lawyers dictated their presence after a few "Product Liability" suits.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Get one of those plastic hooks with the self adhesive backing tape. Local hardware store or even Wally World. About $3-$4.
Pull the carpet back and stick the hook where it pokes through the carpet where the old hook was.
Put the carpet back in place and hook up your floor mat.
I'm going to fab up a piece, 2pcs 1"x1.5" 10ga Alum with a round shaft the size of the hole in the mat. two screws that bolt into the bottom flat. All I will have to do is place the bottom flat under the carpet and set the top plate with the round shaft in place and pin the carpet between the two flats. Will never come loose. What you think????
Old 12-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

That will work. Not really sure what you mean by a round shaft though. Why not just some type of hook mounted on those plates ?

And. Take a close look before you screw anything into the floorpan there. I looked under mine. That location is close to one of the unibody support square tubes and some tubing lines. (I didn't crawl under there but guessing maybe the brake lines )
Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM

That will work. Not really sure what you mean by a round shaft though. Why not just some type of hook mounted on those plates ?

And. Take a close look before you screw anything into the floorpan there. I looked under mine. That location is close to one of the unibody support square tubes and some tubing lines. (I didn't crawl under there but guessing maybe the brake lines )
Two plates, top plate will have a 3/8-1/2" (don't know the size of the grommet hole in the mat yet)rod sticking up out of the middle about 1/2" to 3/4"for the hook part. second plate that goes under the carpet will have two threaded holes that the screws will go through the top bracket and pinch the carpet between the two plates. Will not screw into body, two screws will sandwich the carpet between the plates to hold it into place.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

OK. Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the 1st post where you described your plan.
Yes, sandwiching the carpet between the 2 plates sounds like a good idea. Maybe take a photo and post it up when you get done. Might help someone else who has a broken hook and is looking for a fix.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:45 AM

OK. Sorry, I guess I misunderstood the 1st post where you described your plan.
Yes, sandwiching the carpet between the 2 plates sounds like a good idea. Maybe take a photo and post it up when you get done. Might help someone else who has a broken hook and is looking for a fix.
Will do