General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Front crank seal repair kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 01:45 PM

Front crank seal repair kit

Anyone ever install one before? …as I remember the front seal actually seals on crank pulley and this thin metal seal goes on seal surface of the pulley. I have never put one on anything before but I would assume heat it in oil so it will expand enough you can quickly slide it on.
Think my pulley has groove worn in it.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:14 PM

I guess you mean in the front cover. Front harmonic balancers usually have a groove or 2 for throwing oil back. I don't know what soaking in oil might accomplish, maybe a film of oil.
The oil pump is on the other side.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:17 PM

Thats the seal Im talking about but the seal repair kit wont be in manual…but Rockauto does list one for it. It has a thin metal sleeve that you heat up so it will expand so you can slide it on into place and hold till temps normalize. Kind of re-surface for seal area…in this case the surface is on the crank pulley
Old 06-27-2024, 04:33 PM

not hhr but same situation
Old 06-27-2024, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Seal repair kits. Remember trying those things back in the 1980’s. Never had much luck with them. Usually wound up selling the customer a new harmonic balancer.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Seal repair kits. Remember trying those things back in the 1980’s. Never had much luck with them. Usually wound up selling the customer a new harmonic balancer.
what was the trouble you had with them?
Im thinking maybe clean the balancer up good an sneak it in wifes freezer when she aint looking….put the sleeve in the oven on about 400-500F for while….should just drop on there or at least be lot easier going on
Old 06-27-2024, 04:55 PM
Administrator

You need to determine the leak, gloves in the harmonic balancer , cheap crap seal? I found that FelPro seals leak, OEM GM originals don’t.
no need to soak the seal just apply to the seal, GM seal comes pre greased leave the green protection disc in place . Push the seal into the front cover , and reassemble
Old 06-27-2024, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
You need to determine the leak, gloves in the harmonic balancer , cheap crap seal? I found that FelPro seals leak, OEM GM originals don’t.
no need to soak the seal just apply to the seal, GM seal comes pre greased leave the green protection disc in place . Push the seal into the front cover , and reassemble
Maybe just the seal as you say, but seems like pulley surface had some groove wear to it so I just ordered new GM seal and National brand Sleeve kit for it from Rockauto just in case the groove is worse.
About 99% sure coming from timing cover seal and pulley slinging it up on bottom of accessory belt tensioner arm. I washed it all off couple weeks ago….took it a while for any to be seen but its back now keeping that side of the car from rusting…lol
Old 06-27-2024, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Gearhead1
what was the trouble you had with them?
on
Still leaked. A sleeve will increase the diameter of the pully shaft. Might just be a few thousandths but the seal has to stretch more to fit over the larger diameter. Maybe they overstretched the lip of the seal ?
Old 06-27-2024, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Still leaked. A sleeve will increase the diameter of the pully shaft. Might just be a few thousandths but the seal has to stretch more to fit over the larger diameter. Maybe they overstretched the lip of the seal ?
Hmm…ok

Quick Reply: Front crank seal repair kit