General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Front end vibration FIX..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:30 PM

Front end vibration FIX..

for some of you this maybe old news but for some it might be useful...
Front end was shaking quite a bit ( I knew it was rotors ) so I replaced rotors and brake pads...nothing fancy all from Advance Auto Parts.
Still had a vibration???? so I took the next step I thought was logical....all new tires,all 4 at the same time..
Boy ! did it make a difference.. the whole car is smooooth and straight and solid.
So happy I did this, it was worth the moeny to pay for it all at once....I hope this helps people narrow it down for similar problems..
Old 09-03-2012, 08:37 PM

glad your riding smooth again. The problem is that it seems everyone's issues are slightly different. But still good to know for later down the road.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:40 PM

I'm just glad it was somthing simple like tires......it still amazes me how much of a difference new ones can make..LOL I didn't really know how bad I had it until I changed them LOL
Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Did you have the stock firestones on it?

Cause when I went from the crap firestones to the coopers I got now, it was like I was driving a new car. I didn't have a vibration but it rode so smooth. I was like.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by swerv0428
Did you have the stock firestones on it?

Cause when I went from the crap firestones to the coopers I got now, it was like I was driving a new car. I didn't have a vibration but it rode so smooth. I was like.
Swerv,

What Coop tire did you put on and what size are you using?
Also how about the road noise on coarse asphalt etc.

SF
Old 09-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by dustin6119
for some of you this maybe old news but for some it might be useful...
Front end was shaking quite a bit ( I knew it was rotors ) so I replaced rotors and brake pads...nothing fancy all from Advance Auto Parts.
Still had a vibration???? so I took the next step I thought was logical....all new tires,all 4 at the same time..
Boy ! did it make a difference.. the whole car is smooooth and straight and solid.
So happy I did this, it was worth the moeny to pay for it all at once....I hope this helps people narrow it down for similar problems..
You didn't explain this very well.....so I feel I need to ask. When/where did you experience the vibration? Just driving down the road at a specific speed? At all speeds? When you applied the brakes? Both? When making turns?.

Just asking, because it appears you MAY have gone through an unneeded expense of rotors and pads. I mean, you could have initially lost a wheel weight (for example) and the install of new tires, plus balancing would have corrected a much cheaper repair.

Bad rotors generally would NOT cause your shaking symptom until the application of the brake.

But glad you're happy and your car is operating better.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
Swerv,

What Coop tire did you put on and what size are you using?
Also how about the road noise on coarse asphalt etc.

SF
Im just running 16 inch. I do a lot of driving. Well did until I picked up the mazda! . But they are Cooper cs4 touring. 205/55/16. I have always been I fan of coopers. Road noise in my opinion is great. Not noisy at all. I have about 12,000 miles on them now and have noticed very minimal wear. They are a 60,000 mile tire. It was a day and night difference going from the Firestone affinity's to the coopers.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by swerv0428
Im just running 16 inch. I do a lot of driving. Well did until I picked up the mazda! . But they are Cooper cs4 touring. 205/55/16. I have always been I fan of coopers. Road noise in my opinion is great. Not noisy at all. I have about 12,000 miles on them now and have noticed very minimal wear. They are a 60,000 mile tire. It was a day and night difference going from the Firestone affinity's to the coopers.
I use 16" also and if I purchase a 2011 2LTthat I'm currently looking at thats gonna be one of the first things I will address. Bye Bye 17"

Just curious how it came about you choose that particular tire.
I'm pretty well versed in tires and still have difficulty trying to pick the best application with all the different merchandise out there today.
You either have to take someones Opinion or try every tire you think will do the job for you best.
I am using 30lbs. cold front and 28lbs cold rear on my current 1LT with 215/55R/16's. That seems to be the sweet spot for the way I drive without a lot of Mods.
I have considered trying 215/60R/16's as I like a soft contact when hitting hard stuff, pot holes, driveways with a high lip, Etc.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
I use 16" also and if I purchase a 2011 2LTthat I'm currently looking at thats gonna be one of the first things I will address. Bye Bye 17"

Just curious how it came about you choose that particular tire.
I'm pretty well versed in tires and still have difficulty trying to pick the best application with all the different merchandise out there today.
You either have to take someones Opinion or try every tire you think will do the job for you best.
I am using 30lbs. cold front and 28lbs cold rear on my current 1LT with 215/55R/16's. That seems to be the sweet spot for the way I drive without a lot of Mods.
I have considered trying 215/60R/16's as I like a soft contact when hitting hard stuff, pot holes, driveways with a high lip, Etc.

Correction I do not no why I put 205. Mine are 215/55/16. I have always been a fan of cooper tires. Never had a bad set or noting to complain about. I do my research on tires before I buy. I run about 35psi front and rear. So with you running at 30psi you should have a little softer ride than I. Like I said I love them and recommend them. But everyone has an opinion on tires. All are different too.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:51 PM

the tires could have been out of balance - perhaps weights had come lose?

Quick Reply: Front end vibration FIX..