General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Fuel Gage drama

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 04:55 PM

No codes, and shows all 19 monitors are ready.... wow dont think Ive ever seen a car with more than 8 LOL
Old 06-11-2022, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Greg, what’s the yikes for? Bonez wil try finding the problem when the rain clears , give him a chance.
We are giving possibilities of the problem.
You misunderstood. Have you ever tried to fix a problem like the one I described? Yikes!
OK?
Old 06-11-2022, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
I will run the code reader in a bit here and see if anything pops up on it.
You guys are not understanding me. Strong signals nearby can create havoc with these electrical systems and cause modules to turn on lights or gauges to weird out. You find everything is normal on the next start. Do you try and find out why the light(s) turned on or gauges weirded out? Yikes.
OK?
Old 06-12-2022, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by greg8453
You guys are not understanding me. Strong signals nearby can create havoc with these electrical systems and cause modules to turn on lights or gauges to weird out. You find everything is normal on the next start. Do you try and find out why the light(s) turned on or gauges weirded out? Yikes.
OK?
I have never experienced anything with interference of strong signals, Ive driven lots of cars in the vincity of all types of towers, trucks ...ect.... The cars do not run off radio frequencies except the remotes to start/unlock..ect.. they are not going to make the gas gage go nuts or the ECM/BCM lose its mind.... otherwise it would be a very serious hazard that the FCC would not allow. Loose connections, corrosion would be more typical with this type of issue. Ive filled up a couple times after going close to empty, no issues with fuel gage, no issues with the drive to our designation and no issues on the way home until it decided to just drop to empty. Driving around all day today with no issues, so its possible its a loose connector under the car from the highway winds? I will eventually get to looking it over, everything from the tank connections to as far as I can reach.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

My wild guess is that it has something to do with the car being fully loaded on the return trip. Again, just guessing, maybe the sender wire harness got pinched, pulled or stretched just right to lose it's connection for a split second. Might be a "one in a million" that it happened that way.
Check closely all the wiring that you can see going to the fuel tank. Last resort would be drop the tank down far enough to check the sender plug in.
Old 06-12-2022, 06:52 AM
Administrator

This connector, dirt and loose pins, can cause problems, don’t need to drop the tank for that.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:32 AM

It is relevant that the mileage calculation was correct. That means that the BCM was getting data from the tank.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bonez
I have never experienced anything with interference of strong signals, Ive driven lots of cars in the vincity of all types of towers, trucks ...ect.... The cars do not run off radio frequencies except the remotes to start/unlock..ect.. they are not going to make the gas gage go nuts or the ECM/BCM lose its mind.... otherwise it would be a very serious hazard that the FCC would not allow. Loose connections, corrosion would be more typical with this type of issue. Ive filled up a couple times after going close to empty, no issues with fuel gage, no issues with the drive to our designation and no issues on the way home until it decided to just drop to empty. Driving around all day today with no issues, so its possible its a loose connector under the car from the highway winds? I will eventually get to looking it over, everything from the tank connections to as far as I can reach.
In the old days they had a slosh module in the cluster that averaged out the signal form the sender. Now it's done through buffering in the system and is averaged over a programmed period of time. The sender is moving up and down quite a bit and if it were not buffered your numbers and gauge would be bouncing around as well.
As for the strong signals if you lose the shielding for either the wiring or any module that uses it they can freak out at simple little things. Garage door opener can do it. As for the FCC and the laws we have many things that are operating at or near the same frequencies and in the same proximity of each other. The reasons they will have bad interaction is because of a failure in a devise, thus the shielding I mentioned. When I worked for Comcast in the 70's we would get complaints from people who had antennas. Our shielding at an amp would get loose and it would basically transmit and the results to those in a two or three block area would be getting these dark wide streaks in the picture from their antenna. They are called sync bars.
At any rate, things fail and stuff happens and sometimes there's nothing we can do about it.

Old 06-12-2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
It is relevant that the mileage calculation was correct. That means that the BCM was getting data from the tank.
You can actually lose the signal from the tank and not lose that information. It's buffered and would have to be without a signal for a bit of time.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:07 PM

It was 100 miles...

Quick Reply: Fuel Gage drama