General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Fuel Grades

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 02:43 PM

I stopped and picked up some new spark plugs today, Got the AC Delco iridium along with a full set of floor mats. I also stopped at my buddys shop, he is going to look into the exhaust system to see if he can find a good deal and while at it he welded up the broke off hanger that was rattling at the muffler for now ( free ) so I cant complain. They are also going to work on a deal to do all the rust repairs and repaint the HHR since the back bumper is peeling ( clear ) Just some side projects for them if we go forward. Should have the plugs in tomorrow sometimes as Im going to have my son help and learn ( he'll be 10 next month )
Old 04-16-2020, 01:56 PM

Well, I got the plugs changed and cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor.... The spark plugs were in there !!! Had to get the breaker bar and work them free, the new ones I put anti seize on the threads before installing as the old looked to be old with some wear on the electrodes compared to the new. cleaned the spark towers and cleaned the covers while it was exposed. MAF sensor was an odd looking jobber but cleaned the wires in there really well as well as the throttle body was really bad, sook a scrubbing to get the carbon off it using a soft brush and spraying it, seems to have a little more pep, just drove around the block since back together, Ill hit the highway soon and see how the get up is. A And inside the valve cover looks cruddy so I need to run an additive to try and clean up the internals if anyone has any suggestions? I know people used to use trans fluid then change the oil back in the days but these newer motors Im unsure of what to use as I plan to go full synesthetic the next change?lso I cleaned up the oil filler neck and the big rubber seal for the exterior ( not the o-ring) needs replaced as it is swelled and doesn't sit correctly, do they make replacements?

Old 04-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Yea!!! That’s the spray cleaners! That throttle body was nasty dirty!
I have used Mystery oil before , just put the whole bottle in went for a long afternoon drive and drained the oil when I got home, I drained it hot so nothing would stay in the crank case, it worked. There are other products like Seafoam and GM has a top end conditioner, they may work just as well.
For the valve cover on Oldblue, I soaked it in hot water with 2 oz of Dawn in it , I have an old wash basin that the cover fits into , this works great also , now I had the cover removed to change the timing chain and balance shaft chain anyways, so that was my opportunity to try that method.
the old plugs look ok, maybe original to that engine, they might have been changed at 100,000 miles , but I doubt it.
for the oil filler neck I used the gasket and under it I placed a red neoprene seal from an old H13 headlight bulb, like the red ring in this photo

Old 04-16-2020, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Yea!!! That’s the spray cleaners! That throttle body was nasty dirty!
I have used Mystery oil before , just put the whole bottle in went for a long afternoon drive and drained the oil when I got home, I drained it hot so nothing would stay in the crank case, it worked. There are other products like Seafoam and GM has a top end conditioner, they may work just as well.
For the valve cover on Oldblue, I soaked it in hot water with 2 oz of Dawn in it , I have an old wash basin that the cover fits into , this works great also , now I had the cover removed to change the timing chain and balance shaft chain anyways, so that was my opportunity to try that method.
the old plugs look ok, maybe original to that engine, they might have been changed at 100,000 miles , but I doubt it.
for the oil filler neck I used the gasket and under it I placed a red neoprene seal from an old H13 headlight bulb, like the red ring in this photo

Yes !!! I forgot about seafoam ! I will give it a shot before the next oil change is due ( I just had it changed. If you remember in my intro, in the maintenance records my son n law pulled at Dobbs it showed the timing chain was changed within the last 10K miles, so Im not going to mess with pulling the cover for now. But Ill run some seafoam through the crankcase and fuel system when its closer to the next change and Im planning to have those trans lines changed and they want to flush the trans, I think Im going to have them drop the pan to change the filter too since they have to refill it anyways. I took it for a spin a little while ago and she seems to have a little more pep, think she is breathing better and all now LOL

Good idea, so Ill save mine when I swap to LEDs
Old 04-17-2020, 08:01 AM
Administrator

That crud on the throttle butterfly plate, would definitely cause that asthmatic choking effect.
Old 04-18-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by OshawaHHRss
87 is fine if you have a 2.2 or 2.4. 91 required if you have an ss.
I have one flex fuel HHR, one that prefers 91, and one that insists on it. The 2.4 is making do with 87 usually because the price difference galls me. And E85 has been higher than regular for weeks. Sometimes I mix a little 87 in the 93 to feel like I'm getting a deal.

87 was $1.199 at Sam's Club today. Pretty soon a roll of toilet paper will cost more than a gallon of gas.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:21 PM

my daughter noticed increased mpgs when switching to 89 from 87. no difference in 89 to 93 so she's sticking with 89.
with the price of 87 right now, it might not matter. sadly i'm stuck with 93 in my car since the tune requires it