General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Full size tire stores in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:37 PM

Full size tire stores in trunk?

2008 HHR LS. Will a full size tire/wheel fit into the space the "pretend" spare tire is in?

And if so, does anyone have a spare steel rim (16") I can't seem to find one locally.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:44 PM
Deceased

That's going to be a "Yes and No" answer.

Yes the full size tire/wheel combo will fit, but you'll have to remove the underfloor storage bin and leave it behind, and you'll have to use the "Emergency Tie-Down" strap to retain the full size tire/wheel.

Steel rims are usually available on e-bay, or you can place a "Want" ad here on the forum. Some of the newer members here have changed from the stock "Steelies" to aftermarket alloy rims not too long ago, so you might find one pretty quickly once you make you need for one public.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM

I am going to have to say no. I purchased a full size spare for mine and it does not fit in the well. I took everything out and it will not fit. I left the full size in the back and purchased a second package tray to place above the spare so that I still have a flat surface to utilize when needed.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Your local "junk yard" should be able to get a new or used wheel with the holes (5-spoke seems to be impossible) also check RockAuto.com.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Why is a full size needed?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
Why is a full size needed?
I want a real spare because I travel a lot interstate and often at night or on weekends. If I have a flat I want to be able to continue my trip until I have a chance to have the tire replaced. I have not had a flat on the car yet (a slow leak due to a nail which I repaired) and the tires have 82,000 miles on them now so if I can find a wheel and it will fit I'll save one of the worn tires for a spare.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:03 PM

I had a series of tire problems a while back...always away from home, and usually when my Panel was loaded. I got tired of having to unload and get out the spacesaver and jack, and then I would also have to change 2 tires if the flat was on the front (I won't run a spacesaver on the front, ever again- been there done that, problems!). So, I mounted a rail along each side of the rear area and put a spare full-size there (and secured an ice chest along the other wall -in summer). I got the jack out of my Olds Quad 4, and carry it in the tool storage area. The original spare and jack still reside next to the battery, just in case (I've had two flats at once, on another car). The full-size spare still allows me enough room for cargo, and can be easily removed if I need more space.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by donbrew
Your local "junk yard" should be able to get a new or used wheel with the holes (5-spoke seems to be impossible) also check RockAuto.com.
here ya go: http://www.finishlinewheels.com/CHEVY/HHR/2008/

$66.99 holes or 5 spoke

Junk Yard would be cheaper tho..
Old 04-19-2012, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by sleeper
here ya go: http://www.finishlinewheels.com/CHEVY/HHR/2008/

$66.99 holes or 5 spoke

Junk Yard would be cheaper tho..
Problem is many advertised "5-spoke" are actually holeys! I have bought a couple on the 'net that I had to send back. Still looking for the "right" one. The actual 5-spoke steelies only came on a few HHRs, so the book is verrrrrry unreliable, and it is very difficult to deal with the "wheel guys" if you don't supply a year/make/model, they just cannot/will not do 16X6.5 JJ 5X110 . Finishline has photos so they may be right, but they also list 2 different part numbers same pic (?).

By "junk yard" I actually meant either "LKQ" for new or "from the yard" used, they usually will sell both. Junk Yards are not what they used to be.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but is there anything besides a visual difference between the hole model and the five spoke. I have the five spoke models on my 2011 and curbed one the other day.

Quick Reply: Full size tire stores in trunk?