General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Funny story at local dealership

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:48 PM

Funny story at local dealership

Went to a local dealer, today to see about tradein value of my 07 1LT, and possible purchase of an 08 SS, of course no SS on lot, that was a given, I figured I would have to order one, with options I want, no big deal, so they took my name and said I would have to wait for sales associate, 15 min later told salesman what I wanted to do, and procceded to go through the motions, he then took keys for my car and said appraisal would take 30 min, OK no big deal, then he asked me what options I wanted on the new car, told him all the toys I wanted, and he procedded to go find pricing for me, comes back 10 min later and
says: UM sorry but I just spoke to my manager and GM is not building the SS, they are going to come out with a sport version basicly same as SS without turbo. I gave him a dumbfounded look (couldnt believe this guy was actually telling me this) and said are you sure? He then said he doesnt have any pricing or any time of availalbilty but would call me when info is available.
This is the same dealer where I have bought 3 brand new cars within the last
4 years, always had good sales service, so obvisouly sales staff is not up to date with new product, and they just lost a very good customer, So Ill try another
dealer maybe they got there head out of you know where.
Sorry for the long post, but I just had to vent

Last edited by SindyDix; 01-13-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: edited font size
Old 01-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Hmmmm.....

So are you saying the dealer was not aware of the EXISTING SS model or were they indicating Chev is not building an SS ANY LONGER and to be replaced by this "new model"???

In any event, you should show him a couple of pictures of the members SS's and a link to Chevy's web site which displays the SS and allows you to build one, with pricing.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM

Im pretty sure they knew nothing about the ss model, and they have no idea how to work a computer
Old 01-13-2008, 12:34 AM

That goes to show you, most sales people know nothing of cars, only selling. And this guy wasn't very good at that.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 AM

It sounds like they were BSing you. He wanted to sell you something they had on the lot. They HATE if you want to order something they don't have already.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM

sounds like someone wanted to sell you something else...that day...right then.

as for handing them your keys for a 30 minute appraisal...that's a big NO NO.

a dealer should never need your car to do an appraisal...ever. The trade in value is based solely on a quick appearance check to verify options, and vin and mileage...that is all.

they have to put the car through the service dept for a safety check, and the service dept charges the sales dept for that, so a sales dept will not do a 30 min. appraisal.

I guess at the next dealer...park down the street...negotiate the SS and get a bottom line price, in writing. THEN introduce your trade in. but dont hand them the keys...remember those stories about someone letting a dealer take their car for a check for value, and not making the deal...then the car breaks down 3 days later?

sounds like an old wives' tale...but I wouldnt put it past any dealer...ever.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:17 PM

thanks for the great advise, I found some other dealers within a 50 mile area that Im going to check out this week, hopefully I will be a proud SS owner.
Keep your fingers crossed
Old 01-13-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Smoke Wagon
a dealer should never need your car to do an appraisal...ever. The trade in value is based solely on a quick appearance check to verify options, and vin and mileage...that is all.

Wrong. An inspection of the car is necessary to see if there are any problems that are not apparent during a quick visual of the car. There's no way to tell if a vehicle has powertrain problems or problems with any of the other crucial systems of the car without driving it. Closer inspections are also necessary to find any hidden bodywork or previous damage. Damage may be present in a car even if the current owner doesn't "know" it.

Look at it this way: would you pay full price for a car if it doesn't drive right or has faulty equipment? I would hope not. Neither will a car dealer.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by crazybob
Wrong. An inspection of the car is necessary to see if there are any problems that are not apparent during a quick visual of the car. There's no way to tell if a vehicle has powertrain problems or problems with any of the other crucial systems of the car without driving it. Closer inspections are also necessary to find any hidden bodywork or previous damage. Damage may be present in a car even if the current owner doesn't "know" it.

Look at it this way: would you pay full price for a car if it doesn't drive right or has faulty equipment? I would hope not. Neither will a car dealer.
Maybe it is different with a newer model and a dealer you have a history with. I am trading my 2004 Silverado on the SS, we got the invoice so we wrote up the paperwork. I have a super clean Silverado and got high kbb trade-in (zero deductions). Appraisal took only a few minutes. Checked VIN, walked around, checked mileage, asked if there were any problems and went inside. I so love being in a small town where trustworthiness counts, and you don't have to deal with ignorant salesmen, with hidden sales tactics, and bizarre rituals. All the gimmicks to separate you from your money and wheel and deal you at these big dealerships make me sick. Look for an honest dealer with no hidden gimmicks. (Give me the keys for 30 min? Give me a break!).
Old 01-13-2008, 10:53 PM

Sure, if the dealership knows and trusts you, I can see that. You'd be surprised what some people try to pull. The mentality is often like, "Eh, it's just a car dealer, screw 'em."

Enjoy the SS!

Quick Reply: Funny story at local dealership