General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Fuse box issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 04:05 PM

Exclamation Fuse box issue?

Okay, so I’ve had my 2006 HHR since February. I’ve had nothing but issues with it. 2 days after I got it, the “starter” went out so I had it replaced. I drove it for a day with no issues, then it wouldn’t start again. So I got another new starter put in. Again, drove it a day and the next day, wouldn’t start. The only way it would start is if I jiggled the ignition with the key in it then it would drive fine. I went to another mechanic who replaced a fuse after it wouldn’t start at all, and that seemed to help for a short amount of time. I took it back to him when my dash was reading “engine power low” or something along those lines. He still couldn’t figure out the issue, the car was still running even if you turned the car completely off and took out the key. The air/heat isn’t working now. I ended up going to an electrical mechanic who says it’s my fuse box and of course the one I need is on back order. So he ordered it last month, he called this morning to check the status and GM still has no clue when it’ll be available. So in short, he refunded me the $500 it was going to cost and I’m still stuck with a car I can’t use.

What I’m asking is, does anyone have a clue A.) which fuse box I need for this car and B.) where I could possibly order it from without having to go to junkyards and hunting one down? I’m at a loss and in reality, it’s a decent car and I’d rather not have to go out and buy a new car right now.

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2020, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Hi, welcome to the site, there are a few things to clear up like why a new fuse box when it could be the old one is just loose?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/www....ad.php?t=59520

second , send hellshotrod a PM he has probably got the fuse box you require

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/www....ad.php?t=63306
Old 08-24-2020, 05:30 PM

Have the ignition related recalls been performed?
Old 08-24-2020, 05:37 PM

Has the ignition recall been done? Link to check recall status

This does not sound like a fuse box issue to me. What does the engine continuing to run after the key is removed have to do with the fuse box? Maybe the run relay, but not the entire fuse box. I bet the mechanic is actually blaming the "computer"; the BCM doubles as the inside fuse box. The main fuse box is under the hood.

You need a mechanic that has been to school this century. Cars do not work the same way thet used to work. You are running into a bunch of ill informed boobs.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. It sounds like the wrong question to ask.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Hi, welcome to the site, there are a few things to clear up like why a new fuse box when it could be the old one is just loose?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/www....ad.php?t=59520

second , send hellshotrod a PM he has probably got the fuse box you require

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/www....ad.php?t=63306
hello and thank you! The mechanic did check that before making the decision to try and order a new one. Thank you for the referral!!
Old 08-24-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Has the ignition recall been done? Link to check recall status

This does not sound like a fuse box issue to me. What does the engine continuing to run after the key is removed have to do with the fuse box? Maybe the run relay, but not the entire fuse box. I bet the mechanic is actually blaming the "computer"; the BCM doubles as the inside fuse box. The main fuse box is under the hood.

You need a mechanic that has been to school this century. Cars do not work the same way thet used to work. You are running into a bunch of ill informed boobs.

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. It sounds like the wrong question to ask.

yes the ignition recall was performed back when the recall was released. I’ve had this car to 4 different mechanics all ages ranging. The mechanic that told me it was the fuse box is an electrical mechanic and told me it took them like 2 days to figure out the issue. I don’t know. I’m at a loss and that’s why I’m on here to try and find some answers. It’s been one issue after another. One day it’ll seem like it’s completely dead, the next it’ll start right up the first try. I’ll look into the run relay. Thank you.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:05 PM

Some of the early recall repairs were done with the old stock parts. Which would mean that those parts may have failed again. Show us a picture of all the keys you have for the car, the hole where the ring attaches.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 PM

Well, all of the mechanics are wrong; neither of the fuse boxes is capable of keeping the engine running after the key is removed. There was a TSB on 2006 models that held onto the key, fix is a new ignition cylinder. There were 2 ignition recalls; 1 for the switch and 1 for the cylinder. Sounds to me like the switch part is bad.

Which of the 2 fuse boxes is the guy wanting to replace and a reason why? Maybe he knows where the magic smoke goes.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by brittlm
Quote:::"yes the ignition recall was performed back when the recall was released." .
If you've only had the car since February, how would you know for sure about recall work that was supposed to be done in 2014 ?

And, as Donbrew stated, there were 2 recalls. 1st was for the key cylinder. 2nd was for the ignition switch and 2 new keys.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
Well, all of the mechanics are wrong; neither of the fuse boxes is capable of keeping the engine running after the key is removed. There was a TSB on 2006 models that held onto the key, fix is a new ignition cylinder. There were 2 ignition recalls; 1 for the switch and 1 for the cylinder. Sounds to me like the switch part is bad.

Which of the 2 fuse boxes is the guy wanting to replace and a reason why? Maybe he knows where the magic smoke goes.
Like I said, I’m at a loss at this point. I’m not 100% sure which box he was replacing but I’ll found that out when I go to the shop Wednesday for my refund.

also, I just found the slip the mechanic gave me initially. He wrote “no power to neutral switch from under hood fuse box”

I’m not a car expert, that’s why I’m here trying to get a little bit of help so please be patient with me lol

Quick Reply: Fuse box issue?