General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

FWIW .. Tire testing the Michelin X-ICE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 PM

FWIW .. Tire testing the Michelin X-ICE

I know this is the wrong time of the year to be talking Snow and Ice tires but I put a set of these on in November 2010 and now is the time to be taking them off.

The problem is, I like them so much I have decided to just leave them on year around and pay the slight difference in mileage for all of their positives.

These are a wonderful option for those that do not want to deal with studded tires, extra wheels, or noisy aggresive all weather tires.

We had up to 6-8" of snow at one time this year and I was amazed at the overall performance of these tires. They are special compounded rubber like the Blizzack and do make a difference in traction for the driver that knows how to drive in winter conditions.
I put 4 of them on my Chevy Venture Van to try them, and it does have Electronic Traction Control.
They also work well on just wet rainy pavement with their tread design and syping.
The Plus Benefit was that they Run Quieter and Softer then the Michelin X all weather tires I had on the Van.
It is a noticeable difference and it leaves you not wanting to remove them come spring.
Go to the Michelin website and they show Good and impressive data on this Tire.

Just this week I purchase one of the Last New 2011 HHR's left, and I did check to see if the X-Ice tire was made for this vehicle.
It is, and come this fall I will definately be selling my OE All season tires and replacing them with the X-Ice for as long as they make them.
I am that impressed.
By the way I worked in the Tire business for almost 15 years some time back so I know the products.
I am retired and have no relationship with Michelin or any other affiliated source for these tires.
Just my observations after 6 months testing on my personal vehicle.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Deceased

I'm guessing that with the mild Summer climate in your area you won't have any issues with the softer winter rubber compound wearing at an accelerated rate. I've liked Michelin tires for years and have driven on them since at least 1984, the only complaint is my current Primacy MXV4's are a lot twitchier in the wet than I'd like. It might just be a slight mismatch between the tires and the vehicle, I've had some that just don't "like" a particular set of tires even though the alignment and suspension are spot on.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Living here in the great un wise state of Michigan the Motor City Studded tires are aginst the law . We just learn to drive in snow wiith what ever is on the car My DD sled Galant had 2 front tires almost bald and I got the winter out of them and didn't get stuck once didn't say I was smart just lucky .

I honestly did not know they made snow tires stil . But I was in Tn once and a 1/4 inch of snow fell and you would a thought it was 2 ft they closed down everything we had to get a room for the night

But then I would panic in a sand storm most likely soo .

Anyway the HHR we bought was a basic model and has 16" Firestones and they did just fine in March in 6" and again in 5 nbd . But then I took my road test in 8 inches of snow 40 yrs ago .

Forgot my point I was trying to make give me a break iam old grumpy and forgetful . I will get back to you when it comes to me
Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Deceased

"But I was in TN once and a 1/4 inch of snow fell and you would a thought it was 2 ft they closed down everything we had to get a room for the night"

Its common knowledge that folks in the Southland don't interface well with snow, just like the folks from up North here for the race that are melting into puddles because its already 95 degrees at noon. Silly Yankees, it hasn't begun to get proper hot yet.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:41 PM

Yappers I agree . But my mom and dad and mother and father inlaw were from the south and I use to have to have to go sweat there a few weeks a yr

Been there done that but as long as there is AC handie iam fine .
Old 05-26-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by pipes
Living here in the great un wise state of Michigan the Motor City Studded tires are aginst the law . We just learn to drive in snow wiith what ever is on the car My DD sled Galant had 2 front tires almost bald and I got the winter out of them and didn't get stuck once didn't say I was smart just lucky .

I honestly did not know they made snow tires stil . But I was in Tn once and a 1/4 inch of snow fell and you would a thought it was 2 ft they closed down everything we had to get a room for the night

But then I would panic in a sand storm most likely soo .

Anyway the HHR we bought was a basic model and has 16" Firestones and they did just fine in March in 6" and again in 5 nbd . But then I took my road test in 8 inches of snow 40 yrs ago .

Forgot my point I was trying to make give me a break iam old grumpy and forgetful . I will get back to you when it comes to me

Ha Ha ...

Well, these X tires would be great for guys like you...

You wouldn't have to wonder where you stored your snow tires each year as they would be on your HHR.

Kinda like lookin for your Glasses when there on the back of your head.
I know that feelin !!

Les see now ...wheres my car keys ??
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM

The Firestone store where I bought my Blizzaks swaps the tires over for me for free and reinstalls my oe 16" tires after the winter. I have had Blizzaks on my daily driver fiero when I worked out at the Milford Proving Grounds (almost 4 winters , 100 mile a day round trip) that car went through anything with those tires. The HHR is great with Blizzaks also but I want better handling when it is not winter and I don't think a winter tire will do that. When the original tires need replacing I will put on a good performance tire.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM

IDK.... I have been south when it's hot = 100+ in TX, SC, FL, CA

And it's nothing like the couple weeks of 95-100 we get up here in MN for a couple weeks each summer.

When it's hot here the air is so thick you can barely breathe.

There is a reason the retirees move south and stay both in winter and summer.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by 11BlueJ
IDK.... I have been south when it's hot = 100+ in TX, SC, FL, CA

And it's nothing like the couple weeks of 95-100 we get up here in MN for a couple weeks each summer.

When it's hot here the air is so thick you can barely breathe.

There is a reason the retirees move south and stay both in winter and summer.
Ya when it gets HOT here in Michigan the air is like soup its so damn humid .
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by jerry455
The Firestone store where I bought my Blizzaks swaps the tires over for me for free and reinstalls my oe 16" tires after the winter. I have had Blizzaks on my daily driver fiero when I worked out at the Milford Proving Grounds (almost 4 winters , 100 mile a day round trip) that car went through anything with those tires. The HHR is great with Blizzaks also but I want better handling when it is not winter and I don't think a winter tire will do that. When the original tires need replacing I will put on a good performance tire.

You may be right on making the change to suit your summer driving requirements but take a look at the tread design of the Blizzack against the X-Ice. You may possibly still want to consider.

As I mentioned in another post I am not an advocate for changing tires on different wheels on a regular basis as it has disadvantages as well as advantages.

1. They can damage your high priced wheels even with so called No-Touch changers.

2. Your tires both ways all have to be rebalanced and that can create a problem you didn't have if it is not done properly. More hammering of wheel weights on your wheels and in different locations.

3. They can nick a tire bead and you get the problem of a possible premature tire failure. Separation...

4. Continued changing can cause Rotor Warping problems if wheels are not properly re-torqued each time.

5. General wear and tear on wheels. tires, and wheel studs and nuts re- stressing them each time.

Thats my take....

Quick Reply: FWIW .. Tire testing the Michelin X-ICE