General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

G.M. really ignoring the HHR

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:21 PM

G.M. really ignoring the HHR

I don't see any advertising that includes the HHR now. I don't see it going past 2010
Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM

It is ending in 2011.

Actually, I can't remember the last actual car commercial from GM. Only the one with them walking through the various shops.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:32 PM

They never did really promote it. The Super Bowl promotion was a major dud!
Old 10-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

First, the basic rule of advertising is......

you need not dedicate finances to advertise anything that is selling (think Corvette or CTS, for example). But you also do not advertise something that will be discontinued (unless you wish to deplete EXISTING inventory/product). As Solman indicated, the HHR is history (as we know it).

The main thought process here is to interest customers in vehicles that will have a continuing heritage....Malibu, Silverados (which I laugh about), new model Cadillacs, etc.

I've seen a few TV commercials for GM. Mostly for trucks and SUV type vehicles. Probably in an effort to sell the "money makers" to finance new model vehicle production.

Money is tight and major expenditures must be approved....which, at this time, limits media exposure.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:56 PM

Whatever the rules may be, GM never promoted the HHR, more than just a few spots.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:58 PM

There are actually a few GM commercials on tv right now...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM

I did see a cable "spotlight" ad promoting the 2009 HHR. They showed an orange 2lt that was identical to my 2008. chevy's website doesn't list orange as a 2009 color though.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:30 PM

First, the basic rule of advertising at GM has been......

Market the heck out of something for the first 6 months to a year then forget about it. GM just did not have the money for a sustained marketing program for a long time for any model.

the fact is the HHR is winding down and ther is no need to promote a vehicle that will be gone in little more than a year.

GM today is marketing the new cars better. The new Bu is still being pressed the near invisiable Taverse is now getting air time and the Nox is everywhere.

The fact is there will be little if any national marketing directly involving the HHR, Coblt or present Impala.

We will see soon the blitz on the Cruze, Orlando and Volt in the next year.

GM will market the heck out of the Cruze high milege model. It is reported to see 44 MPG highway with a 1.4 turbo.

Even the Camaro is selling out and still GM is marketing it well. In the past it was rare to see a Camaro ad anywhere. Note in the Transfomer program they are including most of the other newer models.

The Cobalt will get some air time as they need to keep pushing small cars.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

It is common GM strategy not to advertise cars that sell well..... Funny thing is then they are known for discontinuing those same cars when sales slump without ever bringing back the advertisment money.

Think 4 gen. Camaro, Pontiac Fiero, Impalla SS.....

GM has a really short sighted policy of only advertising hard on their newer cars/lines. Mustang ads never went away completely and neither did the Mustang..... Even though all the other Pony cars did. Don't tell me that the Mustang was that much better than all the other pony cars.....Please I remember the Mustang IIs.

And whoever said they are not advertizing the CTS has not been watching very much TV.........
Old 10-22-2009, 06:52 PM

The 4th Gen Camaro had little budget for marketing. They put most of the money for the 4th gen in the chassie and engine, that left little for interior and marketing. The past brand manager of the F body pointed that out to me and a few other people at a show.

The Fiero was hated by many with in GM and Pontiac had to steal from other models to fund the car. There were a lot of politics involved. Pontiac did what they could afford. It took till 1988 to get the suspension they wanted in 1984 because they had little money to do it.

The Impala SS was a limited model and they just never had the need to promote it as they sold all they were going to build.

The fact was GM or a long time just did not have the money to market much after the intro of any model. Lets face it the 2004 GTO did not get the hood scoops as they did not have enough money to put them or the duel exhaust on the first year. That came right from Fred Simmons of Pontiac racing.

The HHR SS is a good example. GM has no money to promote it other than a Woodward ave press conference and some dealer show room posters. Ever see a magazine add or tv spot for it? Not even the Cobalt SS got anything in the way of promotion.

It was not short sighted it was just short money for the last 40 years.

GM has a new marketing director in Bob Lutz. He calls the product shots and Marketing shots. I have already seen the improvment in the advertising. I also have seen the Malbu that vanished last year reappear in adds.

Bob is the guy who marketed BMW into contention with his slogan The Ultimate Driving Machine that made the 3 series car wanted by many Yuppies.

Bob today has money and is shopping for new advertising firems to get the word out. It is too late for the HHR buy we will see a lot of the GM cars in the future.

By they way Ford is doing a hell of a job with the Ecoboost marketing. It is nothing that GM has not had for the last couple years with the Ecotech Turbo DI engine. But Ford makes it sound as if they invented it. Few know GM even has it but I expect that to change soon.

I know a few marketing people in GM and have friends who know some too that will tell you a lot of what is going on. Most people only know the half of the mess they are coming out of.