General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Garage build stage 3: 2-post lift planning, install, and usage (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Garage build stage 3: 2-post lift planning, install, and usage (PICS)

Stage 3 of my garage build (Stage 1 was the garage itself, Stage 2 was the floor which I posted about earlier) is now complete. More stages coming soon.

After much research, I finally decided on a Challenger VS-10. I laid out the columns using Rhino Ramps which closely approximate the column size. My garage is 25'3" deep and the ceiling height is 13'0" at the center, and my goal was to put the columns as far back as possible while still allowing room to park (small) cars between them and the overhead door, even if it was "tight." While I never plan to own 5 cars, it doesn't hurt to plan. I also needed to ensure enough room behind them to lift any vehicle up to a large SUV (I don't own one, but friends do).

I had it professionally installed by a skilled local shop. They took their time and did a great job. The lower stops aren't adjusted quite right (from the factory), so they have to come out and re-shim the carriages, but the lift works and I can at least get working on cars now. No comments about the electrical wire - I obviously only set that up as a "quickie" to get the lift running and will re-do it this weekend properly :)

Next up I need to finish electrical, compressor lines, and then get HVAC and insulation installed.

Pictures are not modified or cleaned up - this is just how they came out of the camera so please forgive any bad lighting or contrast, etc.

Want to know a cool but unexpected benefit of having a lift? For those of us with bad knees and/or backs (I'm not that old yet, but it's happening already!) it helps with washing/polishing and detailing. You can get the wheels, rockers, and lower door areas right up to eye level.

Such as:

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Pretty sweet!! Wish I had the luxury of a garage with a concrete floor and a lift,lol. I have a pole barn that was built in the early 70's with a stone/dirt floor and it has seen its better days,lol
Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM

Wish I had a neighbor like you! No more -
Old 12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Night HHRon
Wish I had a neighbor like you! No more -
You're welcome to swing by any time - but it's a bit of a drive.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Nice job. I wish......

One suggestion that you've probably already decided to do...
Don't let anybody set up a car on the lift besides yourself.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Krash Kadillak
Nice job. I wish......

One suggestion that you've probably already decided to do...
Don't let [B]ANYBODY[B] set up a car on the lift besides yourself.
Definitely not. And for a long time, I only raise them up a few inches, shake violently, and make sure there's no movement before going any higher.

For new vehicles especially, but even my own for now. It came with a guide and lots of docs that I have to read up on.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Love the lic. plate on the red one . Can't quite make out the M5 plate , But i bet its good . Thats a sweet garage bro. !
Old 12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Love the lic. plate on the red one . Can't quite make out the M5 plate , But i bet its good . Thats a sweet garage bro. !
OUTCRNRU on the M5

We used it as a track car for a couple years before getting the M3 to fill that duty.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I thought that was it , Too sweet !
Old 12-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok so since you asked about plates, how about my family hauler:

Pre-Magnaflow and pre-garage:

Newer shot:

It's a 2003 540 wagon with the 4.4L V8. About 300hp, 350+lb-ft. Chipped, full suspension, Magnaflow exhaust, and CAI :)

Quick Reply: Garage build stage 3: 2-post lift planning, install, and usage (PICS)