General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Gas can compromised water got in tank . Crank no start help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 03:50 PM

Gas can compromised water got in tank . Crank no start help !!!

The other day I foolishly picked up my lawnmower gas can and put gas in my car ususally that would be ok but my can did not have its origional top on it. I had put a piece of plastic around the top and screwed the round piece down on it worked fine but little did i know there was a small hole in the plastic and lately we have had rain . Who knows how much water was in there! I stated my vehicle the next day so i could leave and let my windows defrost I came back outside car would not start . At school a freind told me to try this stuff called heet. 2 days later i tried to start it again it started. This was a temporary rejoice because as long as it sat in the yard it ran fine. soon as i drove it I quit running a block away. i siphoned gas through the fuel rail and ran it at the same time added new gas and I put a hvac hose on the valve and this time siphoned it all down to almost empty but the fuel light never came on so it did not run dry I then proceeded put some new gas in it .Confident it will run great I went for a drive this time i hit the main road . Once i got up to about 69 mph the speedometer guage started going down car lost power and never started again. I had it towed , Next day I tried the same tricks and got nothing . seems to be getting pressure indicating the pump works becaue everytime i try to start it i get out and press the schrader valve on the fuel rail gas squirts out gas . it even accumilates gas when i turn it over and have a hose connected drainingto a jug . I also checked all fuseds. this is the last chance before I reluctantly call a shop who will keep it i'm sure till after Christmas .Some please give me some idea i am stuck here . I would appreciate it

Last edited by tonyof757; 12-15-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:05 PM
Administrator

There are products like Heet that are designed for watered down fuel, best thing you can do is keep pouring more into the tank , expensive lesson, store your fuel properly
you might have water in the injectors by now , but once you get all the water out, it should clear up , if you get it started, don’t try to run it like you did, just nurse it around the block until it clears up and idles normal
Old 12-15-2020, 04:24 PM

Thanks for responding Old Blue

Oldblue you gave me some very hopeful and encouraging advice. To not open up a can of worms how would I know if my injectors are clogged ? I am semi handy do I take them out and look at them or what could i do safely not to mess up anything but try to further asess the issue.? again when i press the scrader valve after trying to start the vehicle 9 times out of 10 it sprays gas and it will even collect in a jug for each time i try to start it . that leads me to believe i am getting gas but I believe you are on the right track with the injectors .
Old 12-15-2020, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I would not remove the injectors, just be patient and let it run , don’t press the fuel valve.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:40 PM

it wont start anymore
Old 12-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Pull the plugs and check them. They may be water fouled.
Old 12-15-2020, 05:02 PM

Your smart thanks
Old 12-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Are there any codes present? It could be that there was no water in the can, the problem could be completely unrelated.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:41 PM
Administrator

If you pull the spark plugs, do not try to clean them with a rag or wire brush, the iridium wick is fragile, do not attempt to gap or check the gap, the plugs are good for 100,000 miles . So pull them, if you want, let any moisture evaporate for a few hours, put the plugs back in , gently now, that’s an aluminum cylinder head, the threads can strip very easily!! Tighten to 15 get/lbs torque, if you don’t have a torque wrench, finger tight then from 12:00 o’clock to 1:00 o’clock is sufficient.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:55 PM

very helpful info thank you . i am very heavy handed sometimes tip greatly appreciated .

Quick Reply: Gas can compromised water got in tank . Crank no start help !!!