General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 AM

We've got almost 8000 miles on our HHR and I'm finding that you practicaly have to try to get the fuel mileage below 30mpg. We easily get about 32-33 on the highway @75mph which is better than my wifes Corrola got with alot more room inside and more power. I am very pleased.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 PM

Same here. Extremely impressed with the gas mileage. Last tank was driving around suburbia with an average speed of 29 mph. Got exactly 27 mpg calculated (DIC reads a little low). Took a trip to the airport via highway, about 50 miles round trip) and got 32 mpg on the DIC. I only have 4900 miles on the car so I wouldn't be surprised if there's even better economy in there after it is 100% broken in. I have the 2.4, 5-speed.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
I understand the reception on the stubby antenna is really lousy.
Boy, that's a load of cr@p! We have tested HHR's with NO antenna, and they still get good reception. The HHR uses a special radially wound (not simply coaxial),antenna cable that improves reception no matter what type of antenna you have.

Of course, don't expect miracles; if you get poor reception with your stock antenna on certain channels, the Stubby will not improve it, but it certainly won't get worse. Poor recetion usually only applies to those in fringe areas, or stations with very low transmitter power.

So let's stop THAT rumour dead in it's tracks...
Old 04-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Boy, that's a load of cr@p! We have tested HHR's with NO antenna, and they still get good reception. The HHR uses a special radially wound (not simply coaxial),antenna cable that improves reception no matter what type of antenna you have.

Of course, don't expect miracles; if you get poor reception with your stock antenna on certain channels, the Stubby will not improve it, but it certainly won't get worse. Poor recetion usually only applies to those in fringe areas, or stations with very low transmitter power.

So let's stop THAT rumour dead in it's tracks...
Around town here the only place I have problems with mine is driving thru a tunnel. That also happens with the stock one.
BTW I own both of the stubby type that Mike sold.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:58 PM

Stubby Ant.

Have two HHR's and I just took side cutters and modified them both.
Wrapped elect tape over the end and I have no problems. Besides to me
they look better. Just my own opinion though.
Wouldn't trade HHR for anything else on road.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Mike (socal)....

You're coming down aweful hard and defensive on a comment. Relax.... and, it is not a total rumor, in my experience.

Several areas of the country allow certain stations to transmit only on lower power (generally because of the proximity of frequency with other area broadcasts...our radio ham member probably can provide better details) Phoenix has several of those stations. Although, I did not try the antennas from your shop, I did try two others (some referenced on this forum, and sold by other suppliers). Two of the AM stations (seems a waste to buy a premium 260 watt radio) that I routinely listen to, were weak and disrupted in parts of our valley. The stock "fishing pole" still provided better reception, FOR MY NEEDS.

Oh, one local station I was able to receive until I was on the downside of the climb up "radiator hill" between El Centro and San Diego...lost the same station, with a replacement, about 100 miles out of Phoenix.

IMO it just depends on the stations you listen to and the type of replacement.

Last edited by Snoopy; 04-26-2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Please excuse the thread hijack above....

Forgot to say, in regard to thread topic, a person who should know, says the HHR's with the roof rails will experience about 1 mpg less, on the highway, than a vehicle without (based on tests).
Old 04-26-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Please excuse the thread hijack above....

Forgot to say, in regard to thread topic, a person who should know, says the HHR's with the roof rails will experience about 1 mpg less, on the highway, than a vehicle without (based on tests).
Well, that explains my lower mileage! SoCal, an owner of the stubby antenna told me the receptions lousy. I don't own one yet.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:46 PM

We always lose stations when we get too far out of town anyway, that's why when we travel we pack up the CD's