General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

general questions about HHR

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:01 PM

My first post here... as Ive been looking at HHRs for a while but have a few questions.

Generally, how do HHRs handle in the snow? I'm looking at trading in my 03 Blazer with 4 wheel drive for a 2LT 06. the blazer is my daily driver

I'm also wondering if the dealer is trying to screw me as I can get an 08 LT for about 5k more, but kbb.com lists about the same price as what the dealer is asking ($16,997).

Are there any known issues with the 06's?

Thanks guys

Jon Steele
Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 PM

There's a few posts about handling in snow, mine, an LS with the 16" Affinity tires was OK in Buffalo over the winter, but there seem to be more complaints with the stock 17" tires(on the LT), so if you get a lot of snow you'd be wise to get another set of rims with snow tires.
Price all depends on the options, I could have got a basic new 07 LT for under 15k last November, I got the LS for under 14k, but the 2LTs may have a ton of extras that push the MSRP up.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:20 PM

I didnt have much trouble at all in the snow but we also didn't get very much this year. But what we did get I was very happy with how it drove and I have 17's with firestone tires. As far as price 06 for that much seems a little high but dose depend on options of course. Mine is a 1LT, I bought for 15000 last September with 16400 miles on it.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 PM

I'd think you can get a better deal on a newer model. Just make sure you get a carfax from the dealer since a bunch of used HHRs are former rentals. Always a good idea anyway.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:59 PM

I wish I had a link to the car instead of listing the options, but it was basically the best you could get in 06 (i think) leather, sunroof, touring suspension, 2.4, remote start, a lot of chrome....

It was just like the 08 SS we tried, just different interior, no turbo, and no pinstripes.

Thanks guys

Jon
Old 05-17-2008, 01:43 PM

In '06, most HHRs were going for close to the sticker price. They were offering 0% financing often so it was still a good deal. The newer models are discounted and actually a better deal because they'll retain more value longer and you'll probably get a better interest rate on a new one. Just spread the payments out longer.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sunbound
I wish I had a link to the car instead of listing the options, but it was basically the best you could get in 06 (i think) leather, sunroof, touring suspension, 2.4, remote start, a lot of chrome....

It was just like the 08 SS we tried, just different interior, no turbo, and no pinstripes.

Thanks guys

Jon
Rentals didn't have remote start back then, so you're probably okay there. The key is going to be how many miles are on the car. If it's more than 12,000 miles a year, you can negotiate a much better deal.

Keep in mind that car would probably cost upwards of $22-24,000 new. The dealership probably has $11-12,000 in it right now, so you have room to bargain. The car has already lost the biggest portion of depreciation in its lifetime, so if you can get closer to a wholesale price and put some money down, you'll be in good shape on this one.

There's a few common complaints on the board about '06s, but they can usually be found in newer models as well. However, those are common on this board, not necessarily a high percentage among all buyers. You'll find that the people who wind up complaining on the internet are the people who really have problems and most satisfied customers never post anything on the internet.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:17 AM

The price is way too high, but you could probably negotiate it to something decent. If it still has the Firehawk GT03 tires on it, the snow handling will suck. If they've been replaced it will probably be much better. Oh and what's wrong with having a former rental? My car was purchased new, but my wife's was a rental. Damn fine car, and I have no concerns about it.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pitbull76
Oh and what's wrong with having a former rental? My car was purchased new, but my wife's was a rental. Damn fine car, and I have no concerns about it.
These days, absolutely nothing. Rental car companies are held to standards that are stricter than any consumer lease for maintenance. The real concern is where you're buying the car FROM and checking for things like flood damage.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:02 AM

Sounds high to me. I got a loaded 07 2LT (no leather) for less than that price.

As others have said stock Firestones on the 17s blow. Will be going with F1s before the snow hits next year.

Some people, including myself, have had issues with the stock brake rotors. Have new rotors/pads on order.

Great car, you'll love it.

Quick Reply: general questions about HHR