General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Global Platform/Shared Sheetmetal

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 AM

Global Platform/Shared Sheetmetal

We've all heard that the HHR would lose its retro looks come makeover time. I now wonder if the HHR will basically become a Cobalt Wagon?

via Left Lane News
GM to launch new global platform by 2009
November26

General Motors will soon launch an all-new platform to replace the current Delta architecture — which underpins the Opel/Vauxhall Astra, Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR and Pontiac G5 — a new report finds. The new architecture will underpin several new vehicles, including low-cost cars in South America and medium-sized cars for Opel in Europe.

The new compact, front-drive platform could carry as many as five different body styles, with the first examples bowing as early as 2009 in Europe and the U.S. GM is expecting to have all planned models in production by 2012, with annual sales totaling 1.2 million units.

The new architecture — which is being developed in Germany — will generate sedans, hatchbacks and minivans, including a Daewoo-badged model for Korea and a Chevrolet for Europe. Saab is also reportedly in the running for a new model based on the platform and the production Chevrolet Volt will also ride on the new architecture.

“We are doing a new platform that has a huge bandwidth,” Peter Mertens, vehicle line executive for the architecture, told Automotive News. “We’ll have different approaches in different regions.”

Mertens also revealed that vehicles riding on the new platform will share sheet metal — to simplify production — but will wear unique fascias and grilles to match individual brands. “If you drive them next to each other, you will certainly see there is a difference in chassis performance between an Opel and a Chevy or between a Buick and a Chevy,” he said. “Each is engineered to compete against very specific competitors.”

Powertrains will continue to be tailored to specific regions.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Intresting! I will just keep NEMO!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
I now wonder if the HHR will basically become a Cobalt Wagon?
That's essential what it is anyways.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
That's essential what it is anyways.
True, but I mean even in looks.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HillsdaleHHR
True, but I mean even in looks.
That doesn't seem so bad. It will make the vehicle more appealing to a larger segment of the market. I'm sure a lot of people dig the practicality and affordably of the HHR but are turned off by the retro looks. Especially in a time when retro is in a decline. I'm not knocking the HHR all of you retro lovers because I'm sure there are many people out there who bought the vehicle because of such but it would be smart for GM to make the HHR a much broader appealing vehicle rather than a niche vehicle like it currently is.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:54 PM

Uno momento por favor... It is unlikely that when restyling does come around that they would change the drivetrain right?

If they kept everything the same except for the styling, and made it more appealing to more people, then we would have more attention from aftermarket manufacturers, especially performance wise. This makeover could be helpful overall, if of course they don't completely change the vehicle. Just a thought.

By the way CH... Love the Night Elf Mohawk! lmao...
Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
If they kept everything the same except for the styling, and made it more appealing to more people, then we would have more attention from aftermarket manufacturers, especially performance wise. This makeover could be helpful overall, if of course they don't completely change the vehicle. Just a thought.
I agree.

Originally Posted by betterof2evils4
By the way CH... Love the Night Elf Mohawk! lmao...
Even though I only play as Undead and despise all of the Alliance races including Night Elves the commercial makes me laugh my ass off. I wish I could make an Undead Mohawk.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:00 PM

Whats new about this? GM has been doing this for years.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:38 PM

Nothing new about this but had GM/Chevy originally introduced the HHR with sheetmetal resembling a Cobalt ie Cobalt Wagon then I would definitely be driving something else right now.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:03 PM

A shared "Platform" is not the same as shared body. The plat form is like a frame on a a non-unit body car.

Just like in 60's-70's, GM shared frames but not bodies. Some body parts were the same, but a Chevelle is not the same as a Skylark, Cutlas or Tempest. The frames were basically the same.

Quick Reply: Global Platform/Shared Sheetmetal