General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

GM & Chevy to announce a Huge Promotion on Monday 7/17

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by scrapinby
what they did is called a straw purchase and it is illegal.
could you better define this please, just curious
Old 07-19-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by EZ4U2CHere
I had a very tough time finding a 5-speed optioned the way I wanted. I managed to find 5 in the state of GA, but 3 of them were bare-bones LS models. I ended up locating mine at John Thornton Chevrolet in Lithia Springs, GA. We found a Spring Edition 5-speed with a 2.4 option on their lot. I really wanted a 2LT Dark Silver Metallic and they actually did locate one for me in Birmingham while we were at their dealership. But after seeing the SE, we took it instead.

My suggestion is if it's even close to what you want, get it. 5-speeds are rare enough, and '06 models all together are going to be getting even more rare. That's kind of why I think there won't be much of a end of year sale on the HHR. Not really a need to for the looks of things.
Guess I will still have to take my chances. Still lots in the area. No 07's in town yet. Plus I still have to get one sold first. And trade in is not am option for me.

But my wifes sister does work for a dealership in NC. So I still have that discount to look forward too.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Banned

We really don't know enough about this deal to make that comment. His grandmother may not be the employee, maybe his uncle is. Maybe Captain didn't qualify for the best rate, we just don't know enough. Either way, what they did is called a straw purchase and it is illegal.
I think it was mainly a rate thing. My credit score was just under 700 at the time and my grandmothers is a near flawless 798 so obviously she'll get a better rate than me. I'm listed as the co-buyer but it's registered and insured in my name. Is that still illegal or a violation of Chevys employee pricing?
Old 07-19-2006, 09:00 AM

Any word of the 0% sale????
Old 07-19-2006, 09:45 AM
Platinum Member

We really don't know enough about this deal to make that comment. His grandmother may not be the employee, maybe his uncle is. Maybe Captain didn't qualify for the best rate, we just don't know enough. Either way, what they did is called a straw purchase and it is illegal.

As for this huge deal, it didn't happen (not in the North Central region anyway). GM is offering either $500 rebate, or 0% for 36 months, 2.9% for 48 months, 3.9% for 60 months, or 4.9% for 72 months. This is a very good offer, but it is not 0% for 72 months plus GMS for everyone.

And for the record, we have been selling HHRs at invoice since the very beginning, and yes, we still make money.
Ahhh, I'm confused, I guess . When someone says, ...."my grandmothers discount from GMAC", I didn't know it meant an uncle . Did I miss something there? AND, there is no qualifying for a best rate, as far as employee pricing....maybe for financing, but not price....that is listed on the REAL DEALER'S INVOICE, and is rock solid. Believe me, and this is no brag, I know the GM Employee Purchase Program. After, purchasing some 55 vehicles between me and family members, and then purchasing nearly 1000 vehicles for GM Corporation I can quote it verbatim. I also have "instructed" dealerships in the correct application because some are terribly deficient in knowledge....the average "floor" salesperson just does not how to work it.

Now, what is a "straw" purchase??? I am not a sales person
Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

CH

I was going to send this in a PM, but after thinking about it, I believe the information should be shared with other Forum members....

To answer your question...... NO. From the GM Purchase Program Rules and Guidelines......

".....vehicles purchased under The Programs must be registered, licensed, titled, insured and owned by the ELIGIBLE (emphasis added) and/or sponsored purchaser."

Since your grandma is the employee and, you as her grandchild (which is listed in the #3 position on the eligible list) are the sponsored buyer, you are both allowed to be named on the title or "paperwork".

Using her credit rating to get the financing, is a different issue and that's up to the dealership and the agency who provided the financing.

Oh, and Captain...I'm glad to see you are part of The GM Family First.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Looks like they are offering 0% financing for all 2006 models now. (excluding the usuals. Corvette, SSR, etc) I believe that it is only for 36 months, and then 1.9% for 48 mos, 2.9% for 60 mos.

www.chevrolet.com has the basics up right now. not sure if they have all the details up yet though.

Model Year End Event

The Chevy Model Year End Event is here! We’re rolling out the last of the 2006 models and that means a huge selection of Chevy cars, trucks and SUVs. Plus, qualified buyers can get 0% APR financing on select 2006 models. Claim yours before they’re gone.

Length of contract limited. See dealer for details. Take delivery by 9/5/06. Excludes Corvette, SSR and Medium Duty trucks.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Im So Glad I Got To Take Advantage Of The 72/0%. That Rocks, Had That Not Happend I'd Still Be In The Copper Top Cavalier..... This New Promotion Still Is A Pretty Good Deal.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Ahhh, I'm confused, I guess . When someone says, ...."my grandmothers discount from GMAC", I didn't know it meant an uncle . Did I miss something there? AND, there is no qualifying for a best rate, as far as employee pricing....maybe for financing, but not price....that is listed on the REAL DEALER'S INVOICE, and is rock solid. Believe me, and this is no brag, I know the GM Employee Purchase Program. After, purchasing some 55 vehicles between me and family members, and then purchasing nearly 1000 vehicles for GM Corporation I can quote it verbatim. I also have "instructed" dealerships in the correct application because some are terribly deficient in knowledge....the average "floor" salesperson just does not how to work it.

Now, what is a "straw" purchase??? I am not a sales person
There is no such thing as a "GMAC discount". I was assuming he meant GMS. By best rate I meant interest rate. I know how GMS works, as about 85% of my sales are GMS. I have been selling for 5 years now, so that is a whole bunch of GMS lol.

STRAW PURCHASE: This is when a third party buys an automobile and finances it in his name for some else (who will be the actual driver) because of that other person's age, bad credit, or lack of credit, etc

I got the definition from:
http://www.ohiolemonlaw.com/car-dealer-dictionary.html
There is actually a lot of funny stuff on there that I have never heard.

If Captain was a co-buyer, then it is no longer a straw purchase. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it happens everyday.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by soup
So what's the verdict on this? I'm looking to buy a 2006, and I don't want to miss out on the low financing they have right now, but I also don't want to jump the gun by a day. I haven't seen anything yet on it. Other than an article in the detnews.com dated 7/7/06 saying GM will never do employee pricing again...

Link
Some how if you are waiting for the best deal, Guess what, You will never Own one!! You will always be waiting....
I got a good deal :twothumbswhen I got the Deer Slayer last October.

Just my

Quick Reply: GM & Chevy to announce a Huge Promotion on Monday 7/17