General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

GM dumped thousands of HHRs into rental fleets - badly watered down its cachet.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:07 PM

I don't care how many are on the road or produced. A car I like is a car I like. That's it. Price and resale, well that's another matter.........

I also like the enclave/Arcadia , but will never pay huge money for a domestic again since I lost so much on the Buick Rainier. It seems not enough of us have faith in domestics to keep their resale value high ( Not just talking the Rainier here ), so they plummet. No one but us all to blame I guess, or as the article suggests, the manufacturer can overproduce to an extent.

Holding back production to keep prices high is one of the ways capitalism works. Small numbers of sales with larger profits VS many sales with low profits. The HHR does seem to fit the latter. Let's see what they do on the SS. I'm betting low production and high prices, since it is a structure GM is trying these days.

Well, anyway, judging by most of the writings I see in so many car forums, none of us want the manufacturers to make much money on us anyway.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:23 PM

I think this article is untimely. GM has changed its strategy on daily rentals.

bigshadow's experience is more in line with current thinking at GM. Instead of selling some stripper to daily rental companies, GM instead is selling highly desirable well equipped cars for this purpose. My #1 son in-law is a car hauler and delivered many Buick Enclaves to car rental lots. He also moved same cars from location to location(inter-state). Rental agents report being unable to keep them on the lot. I think the strategy is working.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by haypops
I think the strategy is working.
HHR Sales for October 2007=7,979
HHR Sales for October 2006=4,505
70.3% increase
Old 11-02-2007, 06:57 AM

Have to say I noticed the same thing as written in the article, seems the HHR did have a slump in sales, and the SS, panel, and partial panel are versions to raise sales of a slumping model. I hate it, because I'd like to buy another one, but I am having a good time with the one I have now, and in 5 or 6 years, there may not be any new HHR's. One dealer here does show the trend, by having the same vehicle on the lot for quit a long time, and by offering discounts on the price. Another thing I noticed, the used HHR's aren't really selling that well either, but they are asking high resale priced for them. At one point I could buy a new one for less then a used one.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

I think this article is untimely. GM has changed its strategy on daily rentals.

bigshadow's experience is more in line with current thinking at GM. Instead of selling some stripper to daily rental companies, GM instead is selling highly desirable well equipped cars for this purpose. My #1 son in-law is a car hauler and delivered many Buick Enclaves to car rental lots. He also moved same cars from location to location(inter-state). Rental agents report being unable to keep them on the lot. I think the strategy is working.
Just got back from Hawaii....my rental was an LT2 so, as you stated, not all the rental agencies are using "stripper" models. Just a thought.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:16 PM

The japs could (and have) teach the US automakers a lesson in inventory control.. When we traded for our Honda the salesman told me that Honds didn't have a large lot full of cars waiting to be discounted so the new model year could come in... I thought it was BS because he didn't have exactly what we wanted sitting on the lot and he wasn't eager to go find us one... So I got on the internet and did a search on hondas website, also checked the official programs.. turns out the dealer was correct.. very low inventory.. and programs were only on very select models and or trim packages... in fact the best program they had only matched two van with in 100 miles of us.. We compromised a bought a van we liked less a few features.. like navigation and computer/mileage calculator.. wich is only available on the highend mod with leather and $$$$$ .. I can get a nav system that i can take from car to car for less than $400.0 now...
Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM

When I started looking for a new car in 05, I couldn't find a HHR on the lots. Even into 06 when I did purchase one the selection was limited. All I saw on the lots were Silverados and Silverados and more Silverados. Even today when doing an inventory check of local car dealers I see a few fully loaded LT2s and still lots of Silverados and over priced Trailblazers.

Since I'm an "old" retiree on a fixed income, I'm not about to pay a years worth of pension dollars for a new car. I'll have to wait a few years for SS to kick in so I'll have some spending money.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Banned

Thats what I have been saying all along. i DON"T WANT the HHR to be everywhere. They should have limited production. Now they will have to dump the line. Which will eventually make it rare, as it should be.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

70.3% increase
When you discount the vehicles screwing the early owners who paid list, hoping to own a cache automobile, instead of a cheap econo car, of course sales will rise. That does not speak to the popularity of the car. It speaks to how cheap it is. People will say my car is a $24,000 car but I paid $18,000 for it.....Well sorry that makes it an $18,000 car. MSRP means nothing. Sale price is everything. The HHR has become a value wagon. Thank You GM.

GM is doing the right thing with the Enclave. All of a sudden it's prestigous to own a friggin Buick! LOL
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM

70.3% increase
Just where did these numbers come from?

Considering October just ended a few days ago I'm guessing they're not real accurate.

Quick Reply: GM dumped thousands of HHRs into rental fleets - badly watered down its cachet.