General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

GM Motor Club/roadside assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:51 PM

GM Motor Club/roadside assistance

First I everheard of this. Offer is roadside assistance beyond my 3 year/36000 mi warranty for $59/year. Compared to AAA the plan seems less expensive by half, with no preset mileage limits/dollar limits for towing to nearest dealer.

I only used roadside assistance once in the first year I had the car. I probably will never see a need, but ..you never know right?

Opinions on whether this is a good deal? Anyone already a member?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

If the GM Roadside Assistance POLICY is differrent than GM's regular roadside assistance, with or without OnStar, it might be a good offer.

Based on the up and down responses on several GM forums, it may be kind of an 'iffy" or questionable towing facility that is sent out.

I remember one negative comment from a Onstar requested tow truck. The driver had to call several different people, on a radio and cell phone, to find out how to "hook" to the car. The vehicle owner cancelled that tow and called his own by cell. Last, I heard, he had turned the bill into GM Roadside for reimbursement. They would only pay half of the charge.

Some people had positive views, also....
Old 05-13-2009, 08:33 PM

I don't think you'd be worth it, unless you plan on breaking down quite a bit....

I have AAA car insurance because it was the cheapest....benefit is, it comes with that as well.

IMO, I don't think it would be worth it. But that's just me. If you would feel safer with it, get it. I just think you will end up spending more money on it over time than you would if you hadn't bought it, and just paid for towing.

(How much is AAA for you???? It only costs me $60 a year for the membership.)
Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
If the GM Roadside Assistance POLICY is differrent than GM's regular roadside assistance, with or without OnStar, it might be a good offer.

Based on the up and down responses on several GM forums, it may be kind of an 'iffy" or questionable towing facility that is sent out.

I remember one negative comment from a Onstar requested tow truck. The driver had to call several different people, on a radio and cell phone, to find out how to "hook" to the car. The vehicle owner cancelled that tow and called his own by cell. Last, I heard, he had turned the bill into GM Roadside for reimbursement. They would only pay half of the charge.

Some people had positive views, also....

I have AAA. This is just an insurance policy, i.e., you generally don't get much of a choice as to the tow truck, it's the nearest "qualified" company (which most are). When I had a problem years ago and didn't want to wait on AAA, I called around, and basically what all the companies told me was that it didn't matter who called (AAA or me) the response time is the same.

In other words, you can always get an idiot, it's the luck of the draw
Old 05-13-2009, 09:07 PM

Hmm seems AAA might be better @ $67 for first year signup 47/year there after for Classic. Provided my towing would be a short distance and limit 4 service calls/year

The GM extension deal at 59/year is roadside assistance no more no less (incl car rental and trip reimbursement), but what got my interest was no preset limits on towing.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DavidF
I have AAA. This is just an insurance policy, i.e., you generally don't get much of a choice as to the tow truck, it's the nearest "qualified" company (which most are). When I had a problem years ago and didn't want to wait on AAA, I called around, and basically what all the companies told me was that it didn't matter who called (AAA or me) the response time is the same.

In other words, you can always get an idiot, it's the luck of the draw
Oh, you are quite correct about that. But also, it is who GM or AAA is in contract with.

GM's particular financial position locates them such as to the VERY LOWEST BIDDER for that service in a given area (speaking from experience, in this case. I was instrumental in having a tow truck company contract "reviewed" under OnStar response)

I have AAA also....but I don't pay for it.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the "Tow Truck" facilities, but what is in the contract as to whom they will tow you to. I would bet it is the nearest GM dealership only and not the location of your choice as with AAA.

That is how I would write the contract if I were GM.