General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Got My HHR Back From AEM...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Personally, I used to be a big K&N Advocate. Iwas actually trying to get them to build an intake before the SEMA show. But after SEMA I couldn't get ahold of anyone about completing the system. My contact there (not in R&D), had left the company and his replacement said (and I quote), "we have nothing currently in the works for a Chevy HHR." I explained that we have had 2 different vehicles in there getting dyno'd and prototyped - and all that was needed was a "fit test" before the setup could be finalized. Still this guy was adamant that there was no such thing going on. This forced me to start approaching other companies in an effort to bring an aftermarket intake to market for the HHR.

I am so glad we hooked up with AEM, as they have a great track record of developing systems that make good power. They are very dyno savvy - even to the point of not moving the car once it's strapped down on the dyno. They take stock runs and then install the system while the car is mounted so there will be as little chance for error as possible.

Additionally, many newer cars (the HHR included), have the MAP sensor located on the tube and very close to the air filter, whic poses a HUGE problem witn any oiled filter. Oil can get drawn down the tube causing the sensor to malfunction, which can lead to another set of problems.

AEM's filter element is a dry unit that is capable of filtering down to 1-micron. It is also easily washable in a bucket of their cleaning solution and air-dried for simple maintenance. We are still acouple of months away from seeing the product on the shelves, but the preliminary testing is completed and development is happening!

The intake will only be offered for the 2.4L engine.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SoCalHHR
Personally, I used to be a big K&N Advocate. Iwas actually trying to get them to build an intake before the SEMA show. But after SEMA I couldn't get ahold of anyone about completing the system. My contact there (not in R&D), had left the company and his replacement said (and I quote), "we have nothing currently in the works for a Chevy HHR." I explained that we have had 2 different vehicles in there getting dyno'd and prototyped - and all that was needed was a "fit test" before the setup could be finalized. Still this guy was adamant that there was no such thing going on. This forced me to start approaching other companies in an effort to bring an aftermarket intake to market for the HHR.

I am so glad we hooked up with AEM, as they have a great track record of developing systems that make good power. They are very dyno savvy - even to the point of not moving the car once it's strapped down on the dyno. They take stock runs and then install the system while the car is mounted so there will be as little chance for error as possible.

Additionally, many newer cars (the HHR included), have the MAP sensor located on the tube and very close to the air filter, whic poses a HUGE problem witn any oiled filter. Oil can get drawn down the tube causing the sensor to malfunction, which can lead to another set of problems.

AEM's filter element is a dry unit that is capable of filtering down to 1-micron. It is also easily washable in a bucket of their cleaning solution and air-dried for simple maintenance. We are still acouple of months away from seeing the product on the shelves, but the preliminary testing is completed and development is happening!

The intake will only be offered for the 2.4L engine.

to me an intake is an intake, and i've owned K&N and AEM. no complaints from either. but you are right about the filter, oil on the MAF has caused some issues on the Cobalt SSs/c and ION Red Line.

also, i wouldn't be suprised id you find the 2.4 intake will fit a 2.2. i havent' seen the intake side of things for the 2.4, but i can't see the TB location being any different than the 2.2, unless the actual piping is different sized at the MAF location in stock form, they should be swappable. just a thought...
Old 01-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Except the 2.2 is an entirely different engine. It has variable valve timing as well. That means the tuning would be different for both - even if the throttle bodies were the same size. It would most likely require a different size (both diameter and length), plenum runner to maintain the optimum flow rate.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Made you look!

You can pinstrip on this one "Fuel injection is nice, but I rather be blown!!"

No offense Teknobunie or any other females, its a male thing!!
Old 01-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Yeah Markie - right on the rear gate!

(At least a few of you got a laugh out of this one!)
Old 01-20-2006, 07:52 PM

I also called AEM today and they said they will not be making and intake for the hhr anytime soon that was what they told me. Today 1/20/06

phillip
Old 01-21-2006, 09:18 AM

Except the 2.2 is an entirely different engine. It has variable valve timing as well. That means the tuning would be different for both - even if the throttle bodies were the same size. It would most likely require a different size (both diameter and length), plenum runner to maintain the optimum flow rate.

very true, but the Injen CAI for the 2.2 in the cobalt is confirmed to fit the 2.4 in the SS. i would assume that any intake that will fit the 2.4 in the HHR will fit the 2.2 as well.

aside from that, any pictures i've seen of either engine show an almost identical intake manifold for both. same black platic piece, which has been tested as sufficient until past the rods fail. knowing GM, it's likely the same...
Old 01-21-2006, 09:53 AM

Pics

How do you post pictures on here?
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Revised Blown HHR

Wider tires, filled door handles, black-outs, smooth bumpers and smooth lower pan.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:29 PM

While you were at it, you should have took that horrid license plate off!

Quick Reply: Got My HHR Back From AEM...