General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Got a Pontiac Vibe instead of an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Got a Pontiac Vibe instead of an HHR.

I love the looks and the concept of HHRs, but when I sat in one, my 6' 5" self (and most of my height is in my torso), couldn't get used to the low roof/windshield interface. I could also see it being a real pain every time sitting at a light. I also couldn't believe they didn't put some kind of center console in there, and why are the window switches in the center where there should be some kind of storage pocket?

Based only upon looks, fuel economy, manual-tranny availability and practicality, I'd narrowed it down to the HHR or the Vibe. Once I sat in both,
though, the Vibe was the best fit.

Anyway, so I got an '05 Vibe. Lots of cool driver storage places and a 120V electrical outlet. It has the same fold-flat rear seats and folding front seat as the HHR. I got the 5-spd manual and have driven it through two tanks of gas already (990 miles). My fuel economy average is 43.0 mpg (with some common-sense driving and tires at 37 psi). Its got a 1.8L engine (Toyota engine). It doesn't have the horsepower or torque of the 2.2L Ecotec and certainly not the 2.4L Ecotec (I had a 5-spd '03 Grand Am with the 2.2L Ecotec.), but I definitely can't complain about the gas mileage. 43 is almost as good as a Prius.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 PM

not trying to sound like an a$$ but did you do your math right? 43 doesn't really seem like a possible number with a vibe without extreme hypermiling.

My father in law had one until someone decided to try and drive through the side of his car...

and they moved the window switches on the 09's (and the 08 SS's) to the door.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:36 AM

No offense taken. I know I couldn't believe it either. I was hoping for
37. On the first tankful, I thought there was something wrong with
my measurement or something, but then the second tank was slightly better. I'm a scientist by trade (so I do know how to divide miles traveled by gallons required to fill :) ) and I'm very anal about getting an accurate, consistent volume measurement. What I do is fill till it clicks off the first time, then count to 10 and squeeze the trigger again till it stops again, then count to 10 and do it one more time. It's not perfect, but I find it to be more consistent than stopping the first time.

Hypermiling-wise, I do short-shift (i.e. don't wind out the gears) and skip-shift (e.g. shift from 2nd to 4th or from 3rd to 5th) whenever possible in stop and go traffic. I'm at 7000 ft altitude too so that means my engine is effectively 21% smaller and I have 21% less wind resistance. One other thing is my commute is ~80% highway which is 55-60 mph. Maybe it's a perfect storm.

My '03 Grand Am with 5-spd and 2.2L Ecotec got 37-38 mpg on the same commute. My neighbor who has a Prius says he gets 49-51.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:24 AM

I compared the vibe and hhr too, but ended up getting the hhr. To me it just seemed like more vehicle for less money. Im also over 6' and did notice the low windsheild. I had a lightnsight lens to help for a while, but I took it off a while back as it doesnt really bother me any more.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:49 AM

Those were the 2 cars I looked at. When I drove the SS, it was a perfect fit.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
Those were the 2 cars I looked at. When I drove the SS, it was a perfect fit.
i knew if i test drove a SS id want it to bad
so i found a LS i liked and saved me some money
i do get jellous from time to time of those SS's
But gotta love my car tooo
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 AM

The pontiac vibe will get about 4mpg better on the highway than the SS, and about 1 or 2 better than the 2.4/2.2 respectevly. So 43 translates into 39mpg on an SS. That's not hard at all. Just slower than most want to drive and requires a little work on the clutch.

PS if your buddy cared/tried/ or knew how, he'd get about 75-80MPG on that same commute. I hate priuses, but I give props when they are due.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 AM

I didn't know if any one knew the Vibe is no more than a Toyota Matrix. Toyota and GM designed and built them together. I still haven't figured out why they couldn't do that on more vehicles.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:10 AM

Don't feel bad 5speed4, I looked at the Vibe as well, I just wanted more preformance. The vibe was a very good choice and you helped out GM!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 AM

I drove a 07 Vibe as well it was that or the HHR. But like most I like the looks of the HHR and at the time there wasn't many in the area. I should have gotten the Vibe with all the issues I've had with my HHR.

Quick Reply: Got a Pontiac Vibe instead of an HHR.