General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Got a Pontiac Vibe instead of an HHR.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 5speed4
Yeah, I much prefer the style of the HHR, but I just couldn't make it work for me. At least my Vibe has the monotone appearance package which makes a world of difference in the looks of a Vibe.

Generally speaking, GM has the best looking cars, IMHO, and I do prefer to buy American, even though the concepts of foreign and domestic are very blurry these days. The Vibe is built in America (NUMMI plant in CA) on the same lines as the Toyota Corolla. The Matrix is built elsewhere, believe it or not.
NUMMI - Fremont makes some darn good cars. I owned a 1987 Toyota Corolla FX that was built there and for an inexpensive car, it was of very high build quality and ran forever (250k+).
Old 11-21-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDawg831
The SS is staying an auto as it's going to be my dedicated daily driver and my commute is through a whole lotta of stinky traffic. But I do keep a couple of other rides in the garage for gear banging fun. And speaking of CA-Hwy 1, that's just where this one went on a blast south from Monterey to Morro Bay recently:

Sweet machine, this '08 Bullitt is the seventh Mustang I've owned and is by far the best of the bunch.
Sweet car RoadDawg. I'm an original owner of an '01 Bullitt. If you haven't already, check in at www.imboc.com.

Brad
'08 Silver LT
Old 11-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Jealous I am!

The section I was on was north of SF.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM

I love the looks and the concept of HHRs, but when I sat in one, my 6' 5" self (and most of my height is in my torso), couldn't get used to the low roof/windshield interface. I could also see it being a real pain every time sitting at a light.

You should have gone to www.lightinsight.com and bought one of their little lenses for the top of the windshield. You'd have a better looking car and no problem seeing the lights and signs. I am 6'3" with a long torso as well and swear by it.

In fact, everybody, go to this website and pick up one of these lenses. I think that they should be standard equipment on HHRs.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by 9mmbullitt
Sweet car RoadDawg. I'm an original owner of an '01 Bullitt. If you haven't already, check in at www.imboc.com.

Brad
'08 Silver LT
Thanks! I'm checked in over there with the same handle. I just sold my '01 GT to buy the HHR. I already miss it...fitted it with all the Bullitt suspension pieces and it really handled like a dream.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:09 AM

I'm at 7000 ft altitude too so that means my engine is effectively 21% smaller and I have 21% less wind resistance. One other thing is my commute is ~80% highway which is 55-60 mph. Maybe it's a perfect storm.
...AND all down hill from that altitude.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:13 PM

In the 4yrs I owned my base 04 Vibe I NEVER saw anything CLOSE to 43mpg!
Old 11-23-2008, 10:14 PM

In the 4yrs I owned my base 04 Vibe I NEVER saw anything CLOSE to 43mpg!
Is yours auto or manual?

FWIW, when I posted my mileage at genvibe.com forum, they didn't think it was all that out of the ordinary for a manual.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Sold our Vibe to get the HHR. Worst car I've ever owned. I wrote about it a lot a couple years back. Not the right fit for me. No LSD on my five speed '05. The damn thing slid backwards up slight grades in the snow, even after newer tires
Right tire spun as the driver's tire just sat. Absolute garbage of a car for snow. Too light with a poorly executed manual tranny.
My MPG was around 31 at best.
I have relatives with them and they love the Vibe. They have an automatic. I should have gotten the AWD Vibe and been done with it. That would have been a good car, but no the one I had, at least not for me.
Have fun with yours. Sounds like you get excellent MPG. Just be careful in snow. The car has tires that are too wide considering there is now positraction/LSD.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:34 PM

Is yours auto or manual?

FWIW, when I posted my mileage at genvibe.com forum, they didn't think it was all that out of the ordinary for a manual.
It was an auto, and I am on Genvibe.com, same name. I've heard VERY few people even there claim anything near what you are. It isn't even rated that high, you would have to be driving downhill with a tail-wind at 45mph the whole time to achieve that!

Quick Reply: Got a Pontiac Vibe instead of an HHR.