General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

GPS Mounting ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:11 PM

Here is where a previous owner placed the Garmin supplied GPS mounting circular pad in my HHR. It works great and clears the vents and dash storage compartment!
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by AllenL
Here is where a previous owner placed the Garmin supplied GPS mounting circular pad in my HHR. It works great and clears the vents and dash storage compartment!
I may try it there. I also was thinking of removing the dash compartment door and mounting it in there.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by AllenL
I had tried that but found that if the car sat in the sun for awhile the suction cup would lose grip and the unit would fall off. After a couple of times finding my GPS lying in the floor I removed the suction cup from the mounting base and glued it directly to the top of the waterfall. While I was at it I notched the top of the waterfall to run the power cord into the space between the vents. I then spliced into the wires feeding my cigarette lighter and ran them up to a aftermarket lighter socket that I plugged my power cord adapter into and wrapped it with electrical tape to keep the connection fro shorting on anything. Works great and no more having to pick my GPS up off the floor.

Name:  DSCF1586_zpsa2682a3b.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  31.1 KB

Last edited by HHRNole; 05-02-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by HHRNole
I had tried that but found that if the car sat in the sun for awhile the suction cup would lose grip and the unit would fall off. After a couple of times finding my GPS lying in the floor I removed the suction cup from the mounting base and glued it directly to the top of the waterfall. While I was at it I notched the top of the waterfall to run the power cord into the space between the vents. I then spliced into the wires feeding my cigarette lighter and ran them up to aftermarket lighter socket that I plugged my power cord adapter into and wrapped it with electrical tape to keep the connection fro shorting on anything. Works great and no more having to pick my GPS up off the floor.

Mine will fall off the winshield. Not sure I like the idea of glueing too the dash , but may consider that
Old 05-01-2014, 12:33 PM

A friend told me he knew someone a few years ago that fabricated a bracket for his HHR to put in the storage compartment so when you opened it up the GPS moved into position and would stow it away when you close it. He drilled a hole in the compartment so that he could run the wire behind the dash and permanently powered the unit. The guy supposedly made a few to sell on eBay. I tried to find it to no avail and my friend has lost touch with the guy. I am not talented enough to fabricate something like that, maybe one of you guys is.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM

Install an aftermarket head unit with navigation?

A lot of these seem to lock the GPS to just one vehicle, so might as well spend the money and make it look nice.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

It has been several years, but I believe someone on this forum has a GPS mounted in the dash box and operated with the opening and closing of the lid. IIRC he/she said they made it.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 AM

I just use a beanbag mount that way I can set it in the floor when I leave the car. It works well and I can adjust it where I want it. It came as a freebe when I bought my first Garmin. I have yet to use a window mount.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:47 PM

I use the suction mount just stick it in the vent works great for me
Holds it right above the radio
Old 05-17-2014, 04:17 PM

I have to have one for work. If you put the bracket into a position like you would mount it on the windshield, it fits very nicely into the box attached to the underside of the lid.

I'll take a pic, if I think of it.

Quick Reply: GPS Mounting ideas