General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Grille Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Banned

It's simple. Grab a cutting wheel, dremel, or small saw and cut them out. You don't need a how to. The grille is made of a soft plastic so it cuts real easy.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:46 AM

I don't doubt its easy to cut through Im curious as to will there be any gaps in the edges because it looks as if the bars run right up to the edge of the outer rim of the grill. What I'm wanting to replace it with wont sit flush to the front but rather behind the back so if there are gaps it would show.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Banned

I didn't take any pics when I chopped mine up and I only had to cut off the top bar. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:15 AM

I installed the Stull on my HHR and it's quite a bit of work. I didn't take any pictures (unfortunately) but here's a picture of it.

The Stull retains ALL of the factory outer frame. I used a dremel to cut out the original bars, once the bars are removed I used the dremel to smooth out all the rough edges. Before smoothing I covered all of the grille frame with masking tape except fot the areas I wanted to remove so I wouldn't scratch the chrome in the event of a slip. Once the Stull piece is installed the stock frame is installed, the stock frame side pieces cover the ends of the Stull. Hope this helps. -Dan

Old 08-25-2006, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dan-d
I installed the Stull on my HHR and it's quite a bit of work. I didn't take any pictures (unfortunately) but here's a picture of it.

The Stull retains ALL of the factory outer frame. I used a dremel to cut out the original bars, once the bars are removed I used the dremel to smooth out all the rough edges. Before smoothing I covered all of the grille frame with masking tape except fot the areas I wanted to remove so I wouldn't scratch the chrome in the event of a slip. Once the Stull piece is installed the stock frame is installed, the stock frame side pieces cover the ends of the Stull. Hope this helps. -Dan

I found this on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...QQcmdZViewItem

I have asked him a few questions and asked him to send picts. He is a newbie on eBay only 2 feedback comments, both positive. Might even be someone on this forum. Just thought I would share it.

Dan, All of the work you put into that grill was worth it, it looks great on your car. It is really the only grill I have seen so far that I like as well as the stock, except maybe for the one "Songman" has photoshoped.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:06 AM

Hi Dan;

Good job on the grill.

I have seen that CHevrolet decal before some where on this site, and would like to get one, but Search doesn't tell me anything. Can you help?
Also does the " decal sheet" cover most of the grill top (any lines showing?)

Many thanks.

Gmac
Old 08-25-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gmac
Hi Dan;

Good job on the grill.

I have seen that CHevrolet decal before some where on this site, and would like to get one, but Search doesn't tell me anything. Can you help?

Many thanks.

Gmac
Gmac
I don't know where Dan got his but this is the eBay seller I got mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...spagenameZWDVW

It was very easy to install and has held up well for the past 4 months. I hope this helps.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by john 11
Gmac
I don't know where Dan got his but this is the eBay seller I got mine from.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...spagenameZWDVW

It was very easy to install and has held up well for the past 4 months. I hope this helps.

Yep, that's where I got mine as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gmac
Hi Dan;

Good job on the grill.

Many thanks.

Gmac
Thanks for the props, there are no lines with this decal set because they're individual letters applied with an application backing. - Dan
Old 08-25-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by john 11
Dan, All of the work you put into that grill was worth it, it looks great on your car. It is really the only grill I have seen so far that I like as well as the stock, except maybe for the one "Songman" has photoshoped.
Thanks John, the grille was the first mod I did when I got my HHR home. I bought the grille about two months before I got the HHR. This gave me plenty of time to study the instructions and come up with a game plan. I did the installation as soon as I got the HHR into the garage. -Dan

Quick Reply: Grille Tutorial