General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Had money but salesman was a jerk

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ChevroletCustomerService
warhawk77,

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. If you ever have any problems with your Chevrolet vehicle or service on it, feel free to contact me.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service

Thank you I am looking for contact info so I can let the owner know what is going on.

I'm not letting this turn me away from Chevrolet, I know there are good and bad dealers round.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 AM

From the way the story was told, I'm not sure it was necessarily a bad dealer as much as a bad employee/salesman. I've run into many of those over the years.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 843de
Here's how to buy a new vehicle...or at least how I'd do it.

1. Research the invoice price if its new, the wholesale value if its used.

2. Determine your budget, never shop on payments...ever!

3. Research the value of your trade.

4. Be prepared to sell your vehicle instead of trading it in order to get more out of it.

5. When you arrive at the dealership, ask for the general manager or the sales manager, negotiate only with them.

6. On a new vehicle offer $300 over the invoice price which you already know from step one.

7. On a used vehicle offer $500 over wholesale book value which you already know from step one.

8. Once you've arrived at an agreement with the dealer, drive your new purchase home and smile knowing you never had to deal with a salesman.

If the dealership won't deal with you or uses high pressure tactics, walk away, if the pre-sale makes you uneasy...imagine six months down the line when you have a problem, how do you think they'll treat you then?
If you are buying brand new this can be made even easier if you search fr an internet quote from a local dealer. The local dealerships that will respond have a fleet division and will sell you at fleet prices. Basically you pick the car you want and they will tell you how much over invoice you will pay for the car. There is no need for haggling as the price is the rock bottom price to begin with.

I did this in 2001 and had responses of $200 over invoice for an eclipse GT spyder, $300 over invoice for a Jetta VR6 GLI and others in this price range as well. I ended up paying $500 over invoice for a Mustang GT. They even sold me an extended warrenty for $300 and GAP insurance for another $300, prices that I would consider on the lower side. I did have Subaru turn me down for the WRX but that was it's first year in production and they were on backorder at the time. If they have the car you want on the lot, you can go and test drive it first or they can order the exact one to be built and the price will still be honored. They did not have mine instock for the color stang I wanted but I did get to go down and test drive another one. When you go to the dealership mention right away that you are internet buying and they HAVE to point you to the internet sales manager or they can get in trouble with the GM. I have expirienced this even earlier this year so I am sure that this is still a viable purchase option.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
From the way the story was told, I'm not sure it was necessarily a bad dealer as much as a bad employee/salesman. I've run into many of those over the years.
To me

It is a bad salesman for what was said, bad management for throwing keys and allowing salesman to pull the crap, and bad owners of they allow this to continue. So at some point it is a bad dealer,

Where I work my boss would chew me out for saying stuff like that.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 AM

I had to search for months before finding an HHR (used) I was willing to even test drive and when I finally was ready to look at them I called a local Ford dealership that had a really nice black one, I also knew they had 3 or 4 others on the lot from driving by the previous night to look at the black one. I called and the salesman I talked to said the black one had been sold the previous day, weird since the previous day was Sunday and they were closed, but that's ok. I ask him if they have any other HHR's and he flat out says no. So I ended up getting mine from the Toyota dealership next door to the Ford dealership, paid a little bit more and there are a few door dings, but better than dealing with liars. The Toyota salesman didn't know a whole lot about the HHR but I definitely didn't expect him to, I think he actually asked me if it was a V6. Over all the Toyota dealership was very nice.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Went to shopping today.

Walked up to the car saw the sticker price and told the salesman that car is too high. He told me "Its the end of the month so we can do a good deal" so I let me go talk to the manager. He comes back and tells me we can do it the price I want. So I go get my trade-in. While he is looking it over he wants me to test drive the car, I told him I'm not wasting my time if he can't meet my price I'm not buying. He was $2500 higher then what I wanted. My reply was thanks for your time have a good night.

He stops us and says he will go to his manager again. Comes back out a few mins later and has dropped $50. I wrote my cell number and said "I'm driving to Warsaw(town a hour north) to buy the car if you change your mind in the next hour call me" then we walked out.

That was a much nicer experience then the last one but still no car.

Call the dealer in Warsaw and told him if he can be sure of the price he quoted me on the phone I will buy tonight. Before we get out of town he called and said they had lost power so he can't print any paper work for me. I asked how can we handle this problem and he said "I will get the paper work and drive to your work in the morning, after you drive it you can give me the check and I will drive your trade-in back to Warsaw". Sounds like a deal to me. So with luck I will have my new to me car tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 PM

We are lucky we had a good salesman and Pinkerton Chevy was great to deal with. So guess where I went to buy my HHR--- same place, same salesman and the same great service.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ron S
We are lucky we had a good salesman and Pinkerton Chevy was great to deal with. So guess where I went to buy my HHR--- same place, same salesman and the same great service.
LOL! I just don't see myself being able to buy anything, much less a car, from a dealer named Pinkerton. History nerds back me up.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Good luck on your deal.

The last 2 new cars I purchased, my HHR Panel in 08 and my 11 Corvette this year were smooth. They were purchased from 2 different dealers. On the HHR the slaesman quoted me the rock bottom price and I purchased right then and there. I tried to purchase my Corvette at the same dealer but the salesman was no longer there. I kept asking for their best price but they would not even quote me a price. Kept asking "what do you want your payments to be?" Yeah right, like I am going to determine the price of my car that way.

Put out a call on the internet for qotes on the Vette and only one came back with a quote. It was a great deal on the car so I purshased it within the week.

The way some of the dealers work, it is a wonder they are able to sell any cars at all.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by warhawk77
Went to shopping today.

Walked up to the car saw the sticker price and told the salesman that car is too high. He told me "Its the end of the month so we can do a good deal" so I let me go talk to the manager. He comes back and tells me we can do it the price I want. So I go get my trade-in. While he is looking it over he wants me to test drive the car, I told him I'm not wasting my time if he can't meet my price I'm not buying. He was $2500 higher then what I wanted. My reply was thanks for your time have a good night.

He stops us and says he will go to his manager again. Comes back out a few mins later and has dropped $50. I wrote my cell number and said "I'm driving to Warsaw(town a hour north) to buy the car if you change your mind in the next hour call me" then we walked out.

That was a much nicer experience then the last one but still no car.

Call the dealer in Warsaw and told him if he can be sure of the price he quoted me on the phone I will buy tonight. Before we get out of town he called and said they had lost power so he can't print any paper work for me. I asked how can we handle this problem and he said "I will get the paper work and drive to your work in the morning, after you drive it you can give me the check and I will drive your trade-in back to Warsaw". Sounds like a deal to me. So with luck I will have my new to me car tomorrow.
You handled that one right.

I had a Malibu we were looking at. It had all the toys. They had it in the paper for $24000. We get there and he tells me that that price was for only GM emloyees, First time buyers and people born in 1973. I think you get the drift. Needless to say he was willing to give it to me for $500 off sticker and that left it still at $28,000. I had the newspaper ad and threw it at him and told him I don't play bait and switch. Needless the say but Buck Chevy should change their first letter to F. At least that is what their salesman tried to do to me.

I went to the other dealer and walked in and they gave me a model just like the other less sunroof for $19000. It has the 18 inch wheels, Leather, V6 and all the other things the last one had. I never even had to deal on price as he gave me the best price right then. They even gave me the car for the day off the show room floor to try out.

I am glad you got your deal and I am willing to bet if their sales is this good they may have a good service staff too. They seem to come in pairs. Go figure. Good luck tomarrow.