General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

It happened again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
My next trip to the dealer will be for the 30K service. They already told me it would be around $500. Kind of excessive, don't you think?
There is no 30k service on the HHR that could possibly cost that much. Check your cabin air filter and replace if needed. $25 dollars. That's it for 30k.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
It's also unethical for a lawyer to file a frivolous claim with the courts. If he really wants to sue, he needs to go through small claims. The AG isn't likely to do much because of the value of the loss, and any judge with a full docket will probably dismiss the case and tell you to file it in small claims.

Seriously, he's better off asking for his money back first. When it comes to trial, the first thing the other side or even the judge is going to ask him is whether he did that or not. If they tell him to go pound sand, that's one thing, but keeping a silly case out of the system is another. The other problem you run into is that the description of services performed is always going to vary in scope from vehicle to vehicle. A large truck with locking diffs and 4WD is going to require different service procedures, but if they're charging the same amount for more labor than they do on the HHR, they're essentially making up the loss on the profit on the HHR. That's generally considered good business practice and courts are wary to screw around with that.
He did go back to the dealer BEFORE he went to his attorney. The dealer told him that the HHR DOES have Power Steering fluid and it was "flushed and changed." The Service Manager told him this! He even spoke with the General Manager and the GM told him that he stands by his Service Manager.

He went back to the Service Manager and asked him to show him where the Power Steering Fluid is and the Service Manager told him, "I don't have time to mess with this. We did the work." THAT'S when he decided to go to his attorney.

The attorney is a friend of his and is filing in small claims court on his behalf. So when I said "sue" that is what it is. I'm helping my neighbor with the documentation that shows there is no Power Steering Fluid for the HHR.

Regarding the AG: Here in Maryland, the AG takes car complaints very seriously...VERY seriously. I know...remember I mentioned the dealer that fixed my AC...and my car didn't have an AC? Well that dealer is no longer in business because they had so many complaints. My neighbor found out that the Chevy dealer the charged him for the Power Steering Fluid is one of the Dealers on the AG's "Watch List." Seems there have been quite a few complaints against this particular dealer.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Maybe they changed the flux capacitor instead.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by tireman1554
Maybe they changed the flux capacitor instead.

Goose
Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MWG2
He did go back to the dealer BEFORE he went to his attorney. The dealer told him that the HHR DOES have Power Steering fluid and it was "flushed and changed." The Service Manager told him this! He even spoke with the General Manager and the GM told him that he stands by his Service Manager.

He went back to the Service Manager and asked him to show him where the Power Steering Fluid is and the Service Manager told him, "I don't have time to mess with this. We did the work." THAT'S when he decided to go to his attorney.

The attorney is a friend of his and is filing in small claims court on his behalf. So when I said "sue" that is what it is. I'm helping my neighbor with the documentation that shows there is no Power Steering Fluid for the HHR.

Regarding the AG: Here in Maryland, the AG takes car complaints very seriously...VERY seriously. I know...remember I mentioned the dealer that fixed my AC...and my car didn't have an AC? Well that dealer is no longer in business because they had so many complaints. My neighbor found out that the Chevy dealer the charged him for the Power Steering Fluid is one of the Dealers on the AG's "Watch List." Seems there have been quite a few complaints against this particular dealer.
Okay, that's cool. Just so long as your neighbor knows that he will be representing himself in small claims court, not his attorney friend. I do agree that legal action IS the proper route so long as he has exhausted all reasonable remedies, such as going back to the dealership and asking for his money back, which obviously he has done.

A good piece of evidence would be owner's manual, which lists the necessary service schedule and the location of the electric power steering fuse.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 PM

UPDATE:

Dateline Wednesday, November 24, 2008

Dealer's OWNER called my neighbor this afternoon and offered to refund 100% of the service. He said that they "clearly made an error" and wanted to "make it right." Furthermore he apologized for the Service Manager being curt and not listening to his concern about the bill. My neighbor asked whey the change and evidently the service manager brought up the situation in a manager's meeting and the owner, who loves the HHR, make it clear that the HHR doesn't have Power Steering fluid and that the customer was "right."

Too bad they didn't do it in the first place, they would have had a Malibu sale.

At least they did the right thing and my neighbor doesn't have to go to small claims court.

Thought you all would like to know.

Sincerely,

MWG2