General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Happy Trails folks, end of the line 4 me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Unhappy Happy Trails folks, end of the line 4 me.

Well folks, it's been fun. but it's time to move on...after 4 trips to the dealer in 6 months of ownership, I no longer trust or have confidence in the HHR..so it's gone...buh bye, adios, don't let the screen door hit you on the way out, gone.
It was fun at first, and you guys are awesome...but there are way too many fuel injector problems in these things. The fuel mileage was awful with the 2.4 , way less than what is advertised.
Doing research has shown me that the 'claimed' fuel mpg is no where near the actual real life mpg...and you add the constant "service engine" light issues and injector woes doesn't speak well for reliability.
Our insurance agent told us that more and more HHR's are being traded in for the same poor mpg issues.
I know, I know, some of you will take issue and claim high mpg, but this thread isn't about arguing that point...it's just to say goodbye and why.
You all know how it is with material objects, once you lose confidence or trust in something to work, you never have a good feeling about that object again.
I have been a member of several owner forums over the past few years, and I will tell you that you guys are the among the best. Always helpful, rarely critical, friendly and patient. For example, the Solstice owners are rude, arrogant and have that " I'm the center of attention" attitude that the stuck up rich kids in high school had. But that's the nature of the Solstice, people that own that car like being the center of attention and want to stand out.
Whereas you HHR owners seem to want to be together as a unit, and help each other and aren't jealous or always trying to top each other...you guys actually care about each other...and I will miss that comradeship.
Since some of you will ask, I bought a Mazda 5. Same type of vehicle.
You guys be safe, enjoy your Summer and I'll see you down the road.
Ed
Old 07-07-2007, 10:05 PM

Well, even though you didn't have a good experience with your car, I'm glad you had a good time here.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Founding Member

I take all that as a compliment, thank you. Of course we are sad that the Chevy HHR didn't out for you.

Although saying good-bye is hard to do at times, parting on good terms makes it easier.

Good luck and I wish you well.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:28 PM
jx3

Name:  th5c1a7491.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  7.9 KB

Sorry to see you leave.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 PM

Yup, sorry the car did not work out for you. Ours has had only one issue in 26k of driving and it was under warranty. Never had an injector problem and hope never to have any.

I do find that all EPA estimates lie compared to real driving. I understand the ratings will be changing with the '08 year though and become more "real".
My dad gets the same or better MPG from his Monte Carlo as we do with the HHr, so I dom find it frustrating that a silly four banger is so thirsty. But it is what it is.... All said tough, we still likel ours and get mid twenties and not the teens so the MPG is OK......... It's not a light econobox, that's for sure.

Good luck in your next ride.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortunes with your HHR.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:11 AM

Good Luck to you with your new Mazda5
Old 07-08-2007, 07:26 AM

Just remember that those actual mileage issues will occur on every car. Considering you're the only one I recall having fuel injector issues, I hope you just got a bad seed. I've traded in several cars after only a year or two because of service problems. Anyone recall the manual transmission problems in '88-'94 Chevy pickups? Sometimes you just have to move on. Best of luck with your next purchase!
Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 AM

Sorry to see you go but like you stated,Happy Trails.You can always stop back from time to time anyhow.I guess I am fortunate in a way because the rental unit I bought might have had some of those problems worked out by the time I adopted it.Anyhow,take care,HB
Old 07-08-2007, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
Just remember that those actual mileage issues will occur on every car. Considering you're the only one I recall having fuel injector issues, I hope you just got a bad seed. I've traded in several cars after only a year or two because of service problems. Anyone recall the manual transmission problems in '88-'94 Chevy pickups? Sometimes you just have to move on. Best of luck with your next purchase!
Searching the forum brought up several fuel injector problems, here is just one of many:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...fuel+injectors

My dealer showed me the tsb on injector issues and how the 2.4 injectors need to be cleaned and the numerous problems Chevy is having with this.
Remember, the 2.4 engine is in many GM models ( Solstice for one ), not just the HHR, and it is a nationwide problem.
My service engine light would come on repeatedly and each time the code was "300, injector cleaning".
One bad injector was swapped out, just to have another one go bad.
The last straw was having the service advisor tell us "it's ok to drive on 3 cylinders for a week while your part is on order".
How can we go on vacation, or go on a weekend trip now and trust the car to not fail?

Quick Reply: Happy Trails folks, end of the line 4 me.