General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Happy Trails folks, end of the line 4 me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 PM

I hear where you are coming from. There is no such thing as a perfect car.I traded my 04 PT Crusier for my HHR . That car was a big disappointment,it had so many problems. It was fixed under warranty but when the warranty ran out i couldn't take the risk so i let it go and never looked back.The best thing is i made alot of good folks just the same as being a member on these HHR forums. Take Care and best of luck with your Mazda.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CameraCrew
Well folks, it's been fun. but it's time to move on...after 4 trips to the dealer in 6 months of ownership, I no longer trust or have confidence in the HHR..so it's gone...buh bye, adios, don't let the screen door hit you on the way out, gone.
It was fun at first, and you guys are awesome...but there are way too many fuel injector problems in these things. The fuel mileage was awful with the 2.4 , way less than what is advertised.
Doing research has shown me that the 'claimed' fuel mpg is no where near the actual real life mpg...and you add the constant "service engine" light issues and injector woes doesn't speak well for reliability.
Our insurance agent told us that more and more HHR's are being traded in for the same poor mpg issues.
I know, I know, some of you will take issue and claim high mpg, but this thread isn't about arguing that point...it's just to say goodbye and why.
You all know how it is with material objects, once you lose confidence or trust in something to work, you never have a good feeling about that object again.
I have been a member of several owner forums over the past few years, and I will tell you that you guys are the among the best. Always helpful, rarely critical, friendly and patient. For example, the Solstice owners are rude, arrogant and have that " I'm the center of attention" attitude that the stuck up rich kids in high school had. But that's the nature of the Solstice, people that own that car like being the center of attention and want to stand out.
Whereas you HHR owners seem to want to be together as a unit, and help each other and aren't jealous or always trying to top each other...you guys actually care about each other...and I will miss that comradeship.
Since some of you will ask, I bought a Mazda 5. Same type of vehicle.
You guys be safe, enjoy your Summer and I'll see you down the road.
Ed
*yawn*

37,000 miles on my 2.4 engine without a single problem. All at the advertised highway 30 MPG or better.

I wouldn't post that except it seems you have an axe to grind with the car and I wholeheartedly disagree with your generalizations about the quality of the vehicle and the engine. Sounds like it was more a dealership problem than anything else. Or you were just using cheap gas and driving the car once a month.

Good luck with the riceburner.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CameraCrew
Searching the forum brought up several fuel injector problems, here is just one of many:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...fuel+injectors

My dealer showed me the tsb on injector issues and how the 2.4 injectors need to be cleaned and the numerous problems Chevy is having with this.
Remember, the 2.4 engine is in many GM models ( Solstice for one ), not just the HHR, and it is a nationwide problem.
My service engine light would come on repeatedly and each time the code was "300, injector cleaning".
One bad injector was swapped out, just to have another one go bad.
The last straw was having the service advisor tell us "it's ok to drive on 3 cylinders for a week while your part is on order".
How can we go on vacation, or go on a weekend trip now and trust the car to not fail?
CameraCrew....if you are still around.....

Do you have that TSB number? I have searched everywhere for that........including some private networks and did not find anything related to what you describe.

Also......even though I can find threads and posts on several cross model forums, that mention an injector problem, nobody has indicated a TSB to refer to.

If someone of this forum has the injector problem, they could benefit from referencing that TSB !!!
Old 07-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Well, I understand the mileage figures published are based on a car driving 55/mph, flat road, 70 degrees F, no A/C, windows up and no wind. I have had my HHR since April 3rd and my average mpg is 24.8 (mostly in city driving). I don't think 24.8 is bad at all.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Good luck with the 5.

I also currently own a Mazda MPV (2003) with only 36K on the clock. If you think the HHR was off on the MPG, just wait....... I have hit the claimed 25 highway only once with mine. Mazda are famous for not so good mileage. Just this past weekend, got 31.9 with the HHR on a trip to NC. But the MPV has been good so far. But a royal pain to work on.

Check out www.mpvclub.com, Good forum for MPV & 5 owners.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:00 AM

Being a NEW HHR owner, I'm sad to see someone have so many problems. Hopefully my 2.2 doesn't get the same sort of trouble. I do love it so far! Driving mostly city miles so far and getting averaging 25.8! Not the greatest, but definitely an improvement on my previous car, a 98 Camaro.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:46 AM

I once bought a new 74 Dodge P/U. I put "Mag" wheels on it, it was beautiful. It was back at the dealer 10 times in 6 months for major repairs (new transmission, new rear gears, new head, etc.) It was back more than that for minor problems. The dealer finally gave me retail back on it for a trade. I think my letters to Chrysler helped get the deal.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:16 PM

Red face

Good Luck!!! and like I always say "CHOOSE your Battles".
Old 07-27-2007, 01:54 PM

Huh????

Hate to see you go...
I have a 2007 Saturn Sky and it has over 19,000 miles on it and not one trip back to the dealer for any FI problems. My HHR has 6,000 miles on it and nothing yet.
Do you do mostly in town driving? I do a good mix of both, on my Sky I average about 28MPG and on the HHR I average around 24MPG and If I do all HWY driving I get 31 in the Sky and 31 in the HHR, since the mileage rating was 30 on HWY I am right in line with the EPA.... I owned a Monte Carlo that would average about 24MPG and over 31 on the HWY... but the HHR and the sky at 70 MPH turn 2800 RPM and the Monte would turn about 1400RPM Along with the monte has much better aero numbers at HWY speeds (Teardrop VS Brick) that is why it gets as good MPG as the smaller engine.
Do you put premimum in? or name brand gas? that will perform better than regular in our engines...which includes better mileage.
I think your HHR was an exception to the rule instead of an actual example of how HHR's are.

I am sorry you have such a low opinion of the HHR, I think part of the problem was the dealership, he sounds like he is not a very good dealer to work with.
Well I hope you have fun with your mazda Good luck

Last edited by Skyman; 07-27-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:39 PM

well hopefully the injector problems, if widespread, will be solved by the '08 models?
sorry to see you go, hope the Mazda works out for you...

Quick Reply: Happy Trails folks, end of the line 4 me.