General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Harbor Freight Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Harbor Freight Torque Wrench

Just bought the Harbor Freight 1/2" Drive Clicker-Style. After I brought it home, I read online that they tend to be inaccurate. It was only $15, but all I'm really doing is torquing the calipers after changing brakes, and the lugs once I change back from the Studded snows. Are these people just all about name-brands, or is the Harbor Freight really a bad choice?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 AM

Harbor freight has tons of really awesome stuff, but they also have tons of junk. You get what you pay for, 15 bucks for a torque wrench is pretty cheap so i would expect it to be off some what.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:07 AM

would a craftsman beam type be more preferable? i'm just worried about seeing the scale when i want to torque my caliper bolts.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 AM

I have a husky one and it works perfect just don't ever drop them.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:20 AM

If you can find one, buy a used Snap-On and since they're guarenteed for life they'll fix and calibrate it for you. They might charge to calibrate it, but if anything is broken they'll fix it for free. Mac and Matco should be the same way.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Andy.....

Several years back, my former employer, purchased 3 each of 5-6 torque wrenches, of the "clicker" type, by various manufacturers. Purchases were from retail outlets (no special order). The purpose was to test and determine which produced the most accurate results "out of the box". Then after calibration which would remain accurate, or have the LEAST variance from continual every day use over a period of 6 months.....ultimately providing the best utility.

Harbor freight failed horribly and continued to fail horribly during the 6 month trial (out of the box...was 6-11 ft#'s @ 100 ft#).

Best was Snap-op...second best was Craftsman (at about half the cost)...Matco was next.

Remember, this was several years ago. All manufacturers produce several versions/models. I do not have the model numbers....which probably changed by now.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Andy.....

Several years back, my former employer, purchased 3 each of 5-6 torque wrenches, of the "clicker" type, by various manufacturers. Purchases were from retail outlets (no special order). The purpose was to test and determine which produced the most accurate results "out of the box". Then after calibration which would remain accurate, or have the LEAST variance from continual every day use over a period of 6 months.....ultimately providing the best utility.

Harbor freight failed horribly and continued to fail horribly during the 6 month trial (out of the box...was 6-11 ft#'s @ 100 ft#).

Best was Snap-op...second best was Craftsman (at about half the cost)...Matco was next.

Remember, this was several years ago. All manufacturers produce several versions/models. I do not have the model numbers....which probably changed by now.
It's good to see some real life user data! A couple of years ago we bought the Snap-On Tech Wrench which is a digital tourque wrench that displays ft/lbs., in/lbs., and Newton Meters.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 PM

I buy a lot from Harbor Frieght

I have bought a lot from them including a clicker type torque wrench. Most of their tools are not very good but I buy them for my shop because my crew loses or breaks tools. A screwdriver is NOT a prybar!
On the Harbor Freight clicker style torque wrench save your money and buy a better one. Mine would not hold its setting and literally fell apart. I do not know about the accuracy of it but I doubt that was very good.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by knightRS32
It's good to see some real life user data! A couple of years ago we bought the Snap-On Tech Wrench which is a digital tourque wrench that displays ft/lbs., in/lbs., and Newton Meters.
That's PROBABLY the one I received as a retirement gift, several years ago. I like it and it was just recertified for accuracy (along with my Craftsman "clicker" and my digital air gauges).
Old 12-29-2008, 12:48 AM

The biggest no-no with the clicker type torque wrenches is that people tend to forget to back off the spring tension after they finish using it...quickest way to inaccuracy. And no, I wouldn't trust a Harbor Freight torque wrench! Buy a name brand like Snap-on or Mac with a lifetime warranty...it'll last a lifetime if properly cared for!

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Torque Wrench