General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Harbor Freight Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:14 PM

Well would the harbor freight be something worth getting if I'm only using it once or twice a year, when I change out my winter tires, and when i take my calipers off to do my brakes?
Old 12-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tuanies
My dad was an ASE certified Master Technician and now repairs city buses. I'm pretty sure he's done a lot heavy duty work and the Harbor Freight tools (sockets, screw drivers) have been better than his collection of Snap-on and Mac Tools.

Then again, the Chinese probably just make them out of heavier steel so they hold up better.
Like I said if you think so then I am happy for you.

ASE mechanics use cheap tools just as the rest of us and we all have had many cheap tools and most are not as good or break.

Not everything is bad at Harbor as I have stated in a past post but there is a lot of "you get what you pay for". If you don't pay much for it then don't complain when it breaks.

These kind of tools are good for things you don't use everyday. But if your working flat rate in a dealer you can't afford to suffer a broken tool as it could cost you more money vs you saved on the genric cheap tool.

I buy tools there but I just use care in what I buy. Some of their things are goo but many are you get what you pay for.

Heavier Chinese Steel?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Like I said if you think so then I am happy for you.

ASE mechanics use cheap tools just as the rest of us and we all have had many cheap tools and most are not as good or break.

Not everything is bad at Harbor as I have stated in a past post but there is a lot of "you get what you pay for". If you don't pay much for it then don't complain when it breaks.

These kind of tools are good for things you don't use everyday. But if your working flat rate in a dealer you can't afford to suffer a broken tool as it could cost you more money vs you saved on the genric cheap tool.

I buy tools there but I just use care in what I buy. Some of their things are goo but many are you get what you pay for.

Heavier Chinese Steel?

hey Hyper...

I agree, 100%.

However, after purchasing THREE Harbor Freight 50 foot air hoses (made in India) and all had a defect within 30-45 days, I changed over to Goodyear (says Made in USA). The Goodyear is still in service with no problems.

The Harbor Freight hoses had delamination with air "blisters"......split about 25 feet into the hose.......and split at the air coupling. I had to essentially argue with the store manager for replacement, especially after the inital warranty period of 30 days (on the second one). As stated, finally purchased a Goodyear from them and paid the difference. Manager said, the "home office" stated it was a bad batch.

And by the way...the Chinese do make HEAVIER steel....just not a quality composition (i.e. many of our rotors). Also would you believe, it took them almost 4 years to get the metal composition and specs to the Buick wheels correct. It was kind of expensive in lots of 200 engineering samples submitted each time.....not to mention sending them on wood pallets that were contaminated by some type of bug and had to be quarantined.

Needless to say, I'm not a strong supporter of Chinese product.

Anyway, a cheap tool is good when the owner accepts the fact that it is a disposable. Kind of a one time job.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
First off $15 for a torue wrench should send up a red flag.
Why?

I wounder how much a Snap-On, MAC or Craftsman torque wrench really costs. If you were to remove the number of profit centers in these organizations (that do not exist with in Harbor Freight), how much would the torque wrench cost?

Price (alone) should not be used as an indicator of quality.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Curly 1
A screwdriver is NOT a prybar!
No, it's a chisel!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
hey Hyper...

I agree, 100%.

However, after purchasing THREE Harbor Freight 50 foot air hoses (made in India) and all had a defect within 30-45 days, I changed over to Goodyear (says Made in USA). The Goodyear is still in service with no problems.

The Harbor Freight hoses had delamination with air "blisters"......split about 25 feet into the hose.......and split at the air coupling. I had to essentially argue with the store manager for replacement, especially after the inital warranty period of 30 days (on the second one). As stated, finally purchased a Goodyear from them and paid the difference. Manager said, the "home office" stated it was a bad batch.

And by the way...the Chinese do make HEAVIER steel....just not a quality composition (i.e. many of our rotors). Also would you believe, it took them almost 4 years to get the metal composition and specs to the Buick wheels correct. It was kind of expensive in lots of 200 engineering samples submitted each time.....not to mention sending them on wood pallets that were contaminated by some type of bug and had to be quarantined.

Needless to say, I'm not a strong supporter of Chinese product.

Anyway, a cheap tool is good when the owner accepts the fact that it is a disposable. Kind of a one time job.
I only buy the Goodyear hoses form them. THey are a good price and I have their Over head hose reel. Many other places sell the same one. Not the best but it works for me in my home garage.

I know they make different compsition steel but I don't think his comment was that deep. I was just thinking my 6 pound sledge from their is really 8.5 pounds.

Your last comment is spot on. IF you buy cheap you accept what ever service life you get with out complaint. Some you get lucky and get a good item some you jsut don't but if you did not pay much you can't complain.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by monster5601
Why?

I wounder how much a Snap-On, MAC or Craftsman torque wrench really costs. If you were to remove the number of profit centers in these organizations (that do not exist with in Harbor Freight), how much would the torque wrench cost?

Price (alone) should not be used as an indicator of quality.
You have to be smart. You can afford to use cheap tools like a snap ring plyer or screw driver as if it fail you know first hand.

As for a cheap torque wrench you need to understand if it fails head gaskets fail, wheels come off and exhaust leak. All that money you save will be lost and then some if a crittical tool fails.

Now also keep in mind you get what you pay for 95% of the time but can you afford an important part to fail with a cheap wrench. The bottom line is this tool has tested poorly vs the name brand other wrenches.

Three things not to cheap out on Crash helmets, Parachutes and Torque wrenches.

If your going cheap do it with a combination wrench or creeper as there ar emany things you can cheap out on but this is not one I would recomend. Besides a good wrench will last a life time.

The best things in life are not free and you seldom get high quality with low price. You don't always have to pay the highest price but $15 is a sign your taking a great risk and can you afford the failure?

Harbors only going to give you a new wrench if it fails but they will not replace the failed engine or fender you lose wheel just took out.

I have seen too many people cheap out and spend twice as much to fix what they save money on.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM

I wonder if putting on lug nuts with a torque wrench that is off by 6-11 ft. lbs. is any worse than the nuclear powered air impact wrenches that they use at the dealer or tire stores to twist them on so tight that you could never get them loose on the road if you have a flat?

True story that also involves the puny useless tire tool that they give you in an HHR to change a tire with that makes for a nice looking metal pretzel to throw into the woods in anger after trying to get a lug nut loose. Now I carry a large 4-way wrench under the floor in rear of the car.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by klc317
I wonder if putting on lug nuts with a torque wrench that is off by 6-11 ft. lbs. is any worse than the nuclear powered air impact wrenches that they use at the dealer or tire stores to twist them on so tight that you could never get them loose on the road if you have a flat?

True story that also involves the puny useless tire tool that they give you in an HHR to change a tire with that makes for a nice looking metal pretzel to throw into the woods in anger after trying to get a lug nut loose. Now I carry a large 4-way wrench under the floor in rear of the car.
I used to use the impact with a torque tool. When they ask for them to go on by hands I made sure the were as tight as I could ge them.

But I was younger then.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Torque Wrench