General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

Having Tailgate issues possibly.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:22 PM

I took mine in and got the usual answer, "No, we have never heard of that problem."
The first time they just sprayed lube on the struts and hinges, didnt even put in a work order. When I went back, I got them to replace the left strut. It has improved, but there is still something catching on the left side. It will be hard to get them to any more though, they usually say theres nothing wrong.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 AM

My '07 has done this since day 1. (Well I did just buy it with 8k miles on it) But anyway, it did it the first time I opened it at the dealer. And just like all the others it does it once, then that's it until some drive time passes. It actually feels as if something is binding ever so slightly. And it does it regularly. I'll pull the lift struts and see what happens.

...Les
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mosher
Has anyone noticed a clicking or a poping noise every so often when opening tailgate?
My wife and I have had our 08 Panel for about a month and half and noticed every once and a while when we open the tailgate it pops as if it were opening on worn hinges. I have inspected the hinges and can not replicate the noise. It seems as if maybe the tail gate settles when you drive it and than when you open it, it pops back to place. If we close it and open the gate it won't make that pop again until we drive it a bit.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. Or if it's worth the down time to have the dealer warranty it.
i get a popping noise from time to time when I open mine as well. I noticed that I only hear it on really cold days. Not sure if it comes from the actuators or from the top of the hatch (maybe the corner of the hatch near the rear corner of the roof panel)
Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM

Mine makes that noise too. At the TOP of the hatch, where it is hinged. At first I thought something was hitting but found no rub marks or missing paint. Then realised it only did it the first time I opened it after a drive or it had been sitting. If I stood there and opened and closed it several times, it would not do it again.

I am going in for an oil change and tire rotation this week so I will run this by the service manager. Thanks!